Extended Warranty Question.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
I personally think it is worth it if any of the following applies to you.....

>You have multiple satellite receivers (3 or more receivers)
>You have one or more DVR receivers
>You haved a SuperDish with two or more receivers
>You can afford $5.99 a month but cannot afford $40-$100 upfront for a service call plus $50-$100+ for a new receiver upfront

For someone with a Dish 300/500 and one receiver, you can probably save enough in a year or two to make up for what a part would have cost to replace.

For someone with a SuperDish or two or more receivers that want to stay with new receivers or have a DVR receiver the replacement cost could be great, especially since they are in short supply right now, in which may cause them to demand a premium for them.

Some could get a used receiver to save money on costs, in which would be cheaper than what the warranty would cost over a period of 2-3 years, especially considering that most will not have a claim. For those with DVR receivers (especially more than one) it is highly recommended to have one, although Dish does repair the receivers for a cost which may actually be cheaper than getting the warranty in the long run. Dish has also offered customers a 301 receiver to replace a receiver on their account for $49 or as an add on for $69 to existing subscribers.

If you have a DVR receiver I'd say yes. Or if you have a high amount of dish equipment that you don't want to pay out of pocket for. Say 2 switches, or multiple LNB's.

DirecTv's warranty program costs a bit more.

I just had a 501 replaced under the $1.99 per month warranty. That's being phased out, but it's been worth it thus far.

Stargazer said:
I personally think it is worth it if any of the following applies to you.....

>You have multiple satellite receivers (3 or more receivers)
>You have one or more DVR receivers
>You haved a SuperDish with two or more receivers
>You can afford $5.99 a month but cannot afford $40-$100 upfront for a service call plus $50-$100+ for a new receiver upfront

For someone with a Dish 300/500 and one receiver, you can probably save enough in a year or two to make up for what a part would have cost to replace.

For someone with a SuperDish or two or more receivers that want to stay with new receivers or have a DVR receiver the replacement cost could be great, especially since they are in short supply right now, in which may cause them to demand a premium for them.

Some could get a used receiver to save money on costs, in which would be cheaper than what the warranty would cost over a period of 2-3 years, especially considering that most will not have a claim. For those with DVR receivers (especially more than one) it is highly recommended to have one, although Dish does repair the receivers for a cost which may actually be cheaper than getting the warranty in the long run. Dish has also offered customers a 301 receiver to replace a receiver on their account for $49 or as an add on for $69 to existing subscribers.

I was wondering if I should wait until the warranty they gave me expires.
I think its good for one year is it not? Will they still take me then?
I have just had Dish TV for about a week. TIA

You have a 1 Yr. warranty DISH claims parts and labor but have a problem after the first 90 days and they will charge you for service. Seeing the equipment is new you should be able to wait till the end of the warranty with few problems showing up. After you have had your equipment for a year you may want to switch services so wait till you are about a year into service before buying the DHPP.

But since Dish TV leases the equipment to me shouldn't it always be covered? I could see if I owned the equipment.

Sky King are you under DHP or DHA? If you are under DHP you are covered. If under DHA you must pay for service calls they are $99 after the first 90 days if you buy the DHPP you will pay $5.99/Mo but get a reduced service call rate, $29 I believe. Of course if you are under DHA(no commitment) you can threaten to drop the service if they don't provide free service.

boba said:
If under DHA you must pay for service calls they are $99 after the first 90 days if you buy the DHPP you will pay $5.99/Mo but get a reduced service call rate, $29 I believe. Of course if you are under DHA(no commitment) you can threaten to drop the service if they don't provide free service.
What requires a "service call" then ?? If I have a receiver die and it's troubleshot over the phone and Dish determines it's dead, I think I can handle hooking up a replacement receiver. If the multiswitch dies, I can replace that. Same with an LNB.

At what point do they *make* me allow a technician to do these jobs ??

Sometimes an installer will have to go out to figure out what is causing the problem to know what to replace if the customer cannot figure out if it is the receiver, wire, switch, lnbf, poor signal, etc.

boba said:
Sky King are you under DHP or DHA? If you are under DHP you are covered. If under DHA you must pay for service calls they are $99 after the first 90 days if you buy the DHPP you will pay $5.99/Mo but get a reduced service call rate, $29 I believe. Of course if you are under DHA(no commitment) you can threaten to drop the service if they don't provide free service.

Well, I did not have to sign any contract and I can cancel at anytime so maybe I should just take a wait and see attitude. I had no idea what
DHP or DHA stood for.:) I have only had Dish for about 2 weeks and I am just starting to do my research. Usually I do my research first.
TIA

beast37799 said:
hell the only thing i need an installer for is to aim the dish everything else i can do myself

Yeah..my problem is that I know nothing about it at all....YET.:)

Here's my setup....

A 921, a 510, 2 Dishplayers, 2 SW-64s, Two Dish500 Satellites (one looking at 110/119 the other at 61.5), 3 splitters to feed the two SW64s, and all the other wiring and accessories needed to keep it working.

Compared to what Circuit City charges for an extended warranty $5.99 is a bargain...... Although my $1.99 warranty is more of a bargain right now. I'll keep it until they won't let me anymore.....

Sky King49 said:
But since Dish TV leases the equipment to me shouldn't it always be covered? I could see if I owned the equipment.
If you signed up for the DHP before 02/04 you are already covered.$29 for the service call and free advance exchanges.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)