Extending the VIP722k UHF Antenna...

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
OK...now you all have gone and confused me (I admit that right now that pretty easy to do). In the diagram that KAB link me to, am I to take the coax that goes from the diplexer that comes of the main coax from my dish and attached that to a splitter, then both coax cables from that splitter to the UHF ant output & the 21-69 channel input on the back of my 722k? I understand what to do in my son's room, but I'm confused on the receiver side.

BTW: I did do what Lord Vader link me to, but I'm getting 3 light wavy vertical lines dividing the TV2 picture...you can just barely see them, but they are there. Could I be using the wrong kind of splitters in either room?
Ghpr13:eek:

My goodness, you ARE confused. Forget the separator (not diplexer). Get away from it!!!
Disconnect cable going to your son's room (from home dist. port). Connect one piece of short coax to the remote antenna connection, and another to the home distribution . Connect other end both to double side of a regular splitter. Connect cable to Son's room to the single side.

I looked at what Vader sent you. Does not apply to you since your Sat line is going directly to your receiver.

Last edited:
In my case, using a piece of coax works best. The tv that is hooked up to home distribution gets very little use. The composite TV2 ouput is hooked up to a vcr which is also connected to super basic cable. The channel 3/4 out is hooked up to 3 different tv's. Bedroom, computer room and a monitor in the kitchen. The tv in the computer room is also connected via hdmi to my 211 with an ehd. This set up gives me the option of watching recordings from both my 722 in SD or from my 211 while at my computer. And the wife can watch whatever she likes while I'm playing on the computer. So I don't want the uhf antenna at TV2.

This is a terrible idea for the UHF remote problem!

If you analyze this "solution", you will see that basically you are introducing two additional splitters on your Sat signal. At best, you are cutting your Sat signal by a factor of four and that assuming you are using 3GHz splitters (nowhere this is mentioned).

If your Dish is not perfectly aligned, and/or, you have a long cable run from your Dish to the receiver, and/or, you use common 1GHz splitters, and/or, you have a little bit of rain, then you can kiss good bye to your satellite TV!

If repositioning the UHF antenna doesn't help you, then this is the only solution to the UHF remote problem!

Only problems is that the OP doesn't want to run another cable. That's the only reason I mentioned the extra splitters.

OK...now you all have gone and confused me (I admit that right now that pretty easy to do). In the diagram that KAB link me to, am I to take the coax that goes from the diplexer that comes of the main coax from my dish and attached that to a splitter, then both coax cables from that splitter to the UHF ant output & the 21-69 channel input on the back of my 722k? I understand what to do in my son's room, but I'm confused on the receiver side.

BTW: I did do what Lord Vader link me to, but I'm getting 3 light wavy vertical lines dividing the TV2 picture...you can just barely see them, but they are there. Could I be using the wrong kind of splitters in either room?
Ghpr13:eek:

I would certainly defer to the other folks on the site, but it might be some local interference. Maybe try a different channel on the TV2 out if you still want to work it this way.

Only problems is that the OP doesn't want to run another cable. That's the only reason I mentioned the extra splitters.
I don't think the OP know what he wants. In his case and most other installation, TV2 is already connected with a cable to the receiver, so there is no need to run another cable. Even if the you don't have a cable running from the receiver to TV2 yet, to use this setup you would need the Dish cable running to TV2 instead to TV1.

No matter which way you look at it, its a terrible idea.

I assumed that he has a 722k with the TV2 output "backfed" to the TV2 in his son's room. Its the same setup that I have. The two sat lines are split on a diplexer (?) and the uhf is "backfeed" over the same line into the basement and then sent back up the the TV2. Since the TV2 signal is UHF anyway, you just need to use a splitter to combine the remote and UHF signals. Then reverse split them on the TV2 side and connect the antenna for the remote.

A diagram is here: http://www.dishuser.org/Alternate_TV2_antenna_method.pdf

I also attached it to this post. View attachment Alternate_TV2_antenna_method.pdf

I assumed that he has a 722k with the TV2 output "backfed" to the TV2 in his son's room. Its the same setup that I have. The two sat lines are split on a diplexer (?) and the uhf is "backfeed" over the same line into the basement and then sent back up the the TV2. Since the TV2 signal is UHF anyway, you just need to use a splitter to combine the remote and UHF signals. Then reverse split them on the TV2 side and connect the antenna for the remote.

A diagram is here: http://www.dishuser.org/Alternate_TV2_antenna_method.pdf

I also attached it to this post. View attachment 69274

OK. To clear things up a little and bring this up to date. After a few PMs with KAB, I explained where I was getting confuse by what you all were telling me. In the course of explaining back & forth between us, I was able to "split" or "backfeed" the TV2 so that the UHF antenna is now in my son's room. All is well except that His TV is now getting 3 squiggly, vertical lines, showing up when viewing Dish. The lines are pretty much evenly spaced out across his TV. They're not real noticeable, but they are there. I bought two new splitters, replacing the old ones I had that have been laying around for years, but the lines are still there. Any suggestions as to what could be causing the interference? I'm going to try switching out some of the coax I am using to see if that's the problem, but other then that I'm kind of stumped.
What say you, old satellite tech gods?
Ghpr13:)

If I'm not mistaken, the owner's manual for the 622, and possibly 722 and 722k, actually mention doing just this in case of issues with the TV2 remote not working well.
It also mentions using an attenuator.
ViP Duo DVR manual said:
If your UHF Pro Remote Control 2 isn't working well from far away, you may
be experiencing interference from objects near your receiver. To improve
your remote control's range, try the following:
– Place the receiver higher than all of the other equipment in your cabinet
or entertainment center.
– Provide space above the receiver so that the remote control antenna can
be installed pointing straight up. If you cannot install the antenna straight
up, tilt the antenna at no more than a 30° angle from vertical.
– Place the remote control antenna outside the entertainment center by
using an optional coaxial cable to connect the antenna to the receiver.
– Try moving the receiver itself to other suitable locations.
– Move any nearby over-the-air antennas away from the remote control
antenna. Do not sit an over-the-air antenna on top of your receiver.
– Install a UHF attenuator. See Installing a UHF Attenuator on page 77 for
details.

It also mentions using an attenuator.

This would apply. His TV never had any issues before I moved the UHF antenna from my TV room to his bedroom. If these vertical lines had been there before I would have moved things around, but that wasn't the problem. The problem was getting remote 2 to work from his room.
Thanks anyway,

This is a terrible idea for the UHF remote problem!

If you analyze this "solution", you will see that basically you are introducing two additional splitters on your Sat signal. At best, you are cutting your Sat signal by a factor of four and that assuming you are using 3GHz splitters (nowhere this is mentioned).

If your Dish is not perfectly aligned, and/or, you have a long cable run from your Dish to the receiver, and/or, you use common 1GHz splitters, and/or, you have a little bit of rain, then you can kiss good bye to your satellite TV!

If repositioning the UHF antenna doesn't help you, then this is the only solution to the UHF remote problem!

Okay first of all it's not anything like adding "two additional splitters on your Sat signal" as the diplexers isolate the vhf/uhf signals from the sat signals. Otherwise, the diplexers themselves would be defective, and if the sat signal is affected in any way then the diplexers are not doing their job. Second of all I have used this method on three different receivers, 2 722K's, 1 322, and it didn't affect my sat signals by even 1 point. Those "two additional splitters" are not going to affect the sat signal at all. The worst that would happen is the splitters may degrade the picture on TV2 a tad. However on all three setups I experienced no degradation, and I used attenuators for the antennas, UHF remotes work great and sat signal is optimal. 78 on 110, 84 on 119, 61 on 129. Exact same numbers as before I set it up this way nearly a year ago.

This would apply. His TV never had any issues before I moved the UHF antenna from my TV room to his bedroom. If these vertical lines had been there before I would have moved things around, but that wasn't the problem. The problem was getting remote 2 to work from his room.
Thanks anyway,

One thing I might suggest. How did you hook up the splitters? On the receiver side, the side with two barrels should be connected to the Home Dist. and the UHF Pro Ant. ports, and the single barrel to the line that leads into the diplexer. On the TV side, the single barrel should be connected to the line coming from the wall, and the antenna should be on the other side, and finally the TV connection should be on the remaining port.

Hope this helps.

EDIT: You may also need to try different TV2 channels. Also, if you happen to have an attenuator, connecting it to the UHF antenna may help

One thing I might suggest. How did you hook up the splitters? On the receiver side, the side with two barrels should be connected to the Home Dist. and the UHF Pro Ant. ports, and the single barrel to the line that leads into the diplexer. On the TV side, the single barrel should be connected to the line coming from the wall, and the antenna should be on the other side, and finally the TV connection should be on the remaining port.

Hope this helps.

EDIT: You may also need to try different TV2 channels. Also, if you happen to have an attenuator, connecting it to the UHF antenna may help
3HaloODST,
I have the splitters hooked up as you stated. I thinking I'm picking interference in my son's room from cable "seepage"??? He's got an X-Box360, a cheap DVD player, and an USB cooling fan (on top of the X-Box). The first thing I thought was the USB fan, but after unplugging that, the vertical lines were still there. That's why I'm thinking maybe I need to check the coax cables and possibility switch them out. I don't have an attenuator laying around, but I could probably pick one up.

Finally got around to changing the TV2 channel. Took it from 73 to 75, still had a vertical line in center of picture. Took it up to channel 80, all is good. Thanks to all and specially Lord Vader!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts