External Hard Disk Device Storage 942/622 ???

riffjim4069

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 7, 2004
SatelliteGuystonfieldville, U.S.A.
It was reported in the November Tech Chat that E* was beta testing external hard drive solutions for the 942. Well, it has been four months and I just wondering if E* is any closer to supporting USB 2.0 hard drives? I believe this was also mentioned by Charlie is his December CC. Hmmm. I can see this happening on the 622, but I don't get a warm and fuzzy feeling about this being supported on the 942. I think E* is more concerned with replacing the 942s then they are with supporting them.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=46247&highlight=chat+external+storage

It was also advertised in CES in Vegas on a big poster that they would be supporting this soon on the 942 and 622.

We just dont know when.

Yep, I don't see how E* could back out of delivering on this one...of course, maybe the PocketDish is the "any USB compatible hard drive" they're talking about.

Attachments

• DSC_0088s.JPG
    DSC_0088s.JPG
    138.9 KB · Views: 236
Last edited:
I'm chomping at the bit for this feature as well. Would be nice if E* would give us a status update/expected release for the software/feature, or admit its a 'vapor-feature'. Scott?

Smith said:
I suspect Dish want make some dough selling proprietary external devices with DISH LOGO. :devil:
That was my initial take, but I believe Scott (or another E* connected mod) chimed in that Charlie alluded to customers using 3rd party devices (not much markup and didn't want to get involved with hard drive problems).

Anyway, does anyone know what E* has planned for this one...Dish branded storage...list of approved hard drives...any USB 2.0 storage device?

Smith said:
I suspect Dish want make some dough selling proprietary external devices with DISH LOGO. :devil:
I have a Scientific Atlanta HD Recorder from Comcast and they have the external drive feature enabled. You can use the drive of your choice. Great feature, hope this is enabled for my 622 and I don't have to buy a Dish drive.

Brian

riffjim4069 said:
It was reported in the November Tech Chat that E* was beta testing external hard drive solutions for the 942. Well, it has been four months and I just wondering if E* is any closer to supporting USB 2.0 hard drives? I believe this was also mentioned by Charlie is his December CC. Hmmm. I can see this happening on the 622, but I don't get a warm and fuzzy feeling about this being supported on the 942. I think E* is more concerned with replacing the 942s then they are with supporting them.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=46247&highlight=chat+external+storage

I just tried this with a WD2500 and a usb 2.0 adapter. it will recognize a EXT3 partition, I didn't test but a EXT2 should work too. When I plugged in the usb cord, a window popped up and said storage device detected, then gave it me a menu that allowed me to transfer photo's to the dvr. i didn't test this but i can if someone wants me too. When i tried the button that said transfer video from DVR, it said that this operation is not currently supported:(

So I guess now I have to wait for an update.

Paul Benkovitz

bkushner said:
I have a Scientific Atlanta HD Recorder from Comcast and they have the external drive feature enabled. You can use the drive of your choice. Great feature, hope this is enabled for my 622 and I don't have to buy a Dish drive.

Brian

What are the transfer rates for SD and HD shows?

Just because I am in an annoying pain-in-the-arse mood...it's time to breath new life into this dead thread and once again ask, "Where the heck is our USB Storage for the 622?" I have been deleting and archiving to DVD several cherished recordings in order to free up space for the Holidays. USB Store would have solved this problem long ago. This is taking way, way, way too long to rollout.:mad:

E*, Inquiring minds want to know!:eureka

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts