This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

External hard drive, on or off?

JAF

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 5, 2003
Is everyone turning them on and off as needed, or leaving them on?

I have 650gb WD internal drive in an external case. Will this drive go into sleep mode automatically? I didn't know if the reciever (722) controled sleep mode or the hard drive did this itself.

Thanks

I dont use mine very often. I transfer things we have watched but want to keep onto it. Because of this I just disconnect it when I power down after transferring and only reconnect it when I know I want to transfer something.

I have my external hard drive plugged into the back of my a/v receiver. When it gets turned off so does the ext. hard drive.

My WD is on all the time. But it goes to sleep when not used.

I leave the main one on, and have a secondary one that I don't have much faith in that I only turn on when in use.

I don't access mine very often, so I turn them off. However, I were accessing them everyday, I would probably leave them on.

I have a WD My Book 750. I leave it on all the time

It seems to spin down when it's not being used, so I leave it on all the time

I have a WD 1TB My Book Essential ... when it is in use the blue light flashes. Otherwise, the blue light is steady. If that means the drive actually shuts down though ... I am not sure ... but it does seem to know when it is in use.

I turn mine off. It may not be very much juice to leave it on but its just the way I was raised. As one who remembers the BS from the early 70's energy crisis with electric companies saying it cost more money to turn off a lightbulb...