External hard drive, on or off?

JAF

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 5, 2003
Is everyone turning them on and off as needed, or leaving them on?

I have 650gb WD internal drive in an external case. Will this drive go into sleep mode automatically? I didn't know if the reciever (722) controled sleep mode or the hard drive did this itself.

Thanks

I dont use mine very often. I transfer things we have watched but want to keep onto it. Because of this I just disconnect it when I power down after transferring and only reconnect it when I know I want to transfer something.

My WD is on all the time. But it goes to sleep when not used.

I leave the main one on, and have a secondary one that I don't have much faith in that I only turn on when in use.

I don't access mine very often, so I turn them off. However, I were accessing them everyday, I would probably leave them on.

Is everyone turning them on and off as needed, or leaving them on?

I have 650gb WD internal drive in an external case. Will this drive go into sleep mode automatically? I didn't know if the reciever (722) controled sleep mode or the hard drive did this itself.

Thanks

I have a WD My Book 750. I leave it on all the time

It seems to spin down when it's not being used, so I leave it on all the time

I have a WD 1TB My Book Essential ... when it is in use the blue light flashes. Otherwise, the blue light is steady. If that means the drive actually shuts down though ... I am not sure ... but it does seem to know when it is in use.

I turn mine off. It may not be very much juice to leave it on but its just the way I was raised. As one who remembers the BS from the early 70's energy crisis with electric companies saying it cost more money to turn off a lightbulb... :rolleyes:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts