external hard drive test

tommyd12345

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Sep 13, 2011
greenbrier,ar
3 times in last week the hopper3 has started a external hard drive test that is suppose to last about 80 mins. It starts at the same time( 11:30 am) .Is the hopper3 checking its internal hard drive or checking my external hard drives? I have two powered external hard drives.

DISH Support

OFFICIAL DISH SUPPORT
Staff member
DISH DIRT TEAM!
Jun 6, 2019
3 times in last week the hopper3 has started a external hard drive test that is suppose to last about 80 mins. It starts at the same time( 11:30 am) .Is the hopper3 checking its internal hard drive or checking my external hard drives? I have two powered external hard drives.
When the external hard drive test comes up on the screen, does the message include any type of error code or number as well? That would help us to narrow down what it may be checking when running the test.

TVEngineerArk

Sep 14, 2018
Central Arkansas
I've been having trouble with my 5 external drives that I connect as needed to my VIP722 as well. If I connect them it states something to the effect that the drive has been connected to another receiver and must be reformatted to use with my current 722. The problem is that I've had the same 722 for about 9 years now and the drives were never connected to any other receivers. It's been like this for several weeks now but honestly I haven't had time to contact Dish when I am home and in front of the unit. When I do, if they tell me that my drives are not usable this will be the end of my 20+ year association with Dish since the content of those hard drives is a big reason I still have Dish service.

Dave90000

SatelliteGuys Family
Lifetime Supporter
Feb 13, 2008
My Hopper3 gives a 514c and 1599 errors 2-3 times a week usually in the middle of something I want to watch. The 514c something is wrong error there is no way to stop the system from rebooting and running the 1599 system check. This is really starting to make me mad and if its not fixed soon I may be forced to review my relationship with Dish.

Everytime I call in they tell me its the normal daily reboot/system check but my H3 did not do this in the past.

Reactions: olds403

tommyd12345

Sep 13, 2011
greenbrier,ar
When the external hard drive test comes up on the screen, does the message include any type of error code or number as well? That would help us to narrow down what it may be checking when running the test.
Sorry I didn't copy the code down, but will reply when it happen again. I just thought it was strange that it happen at same time (11:30 am) .I have the daily reboot/update set for 3:00 am. I couldn't reset the Hopper3 through the remote when is was checking the external HD. I had to use the front panel red button to reboot. My wife's soap was to be recorded at 1:00 PM and the wife's fury would have been unbearable if the soap was not recorded. I still lost 5 mins of recording by rebooting after 90 mins.

DISH Support

OFFICIAL DISH SUPPORT
Staff member
DISH DIRT TEAM!
Jun 6, 2019
My Hopper3 gives a 514c and 1599 errors 2-3 times a week usually in the middle of something I want to watch. The 514c something is wrong error there is no way to stop the system from rebooting and running the 1599 system check. This is really starting to make me mad and if its not fixed soon I may be forced to review my relationship with Dish.

Everytime I call in they tell me its the normal daily reboot/system check but my H3 did not do this in the past.
Hey dave90000, usually these messages only come up when something is preventing the Hopper from being able to reboot after the update, can you check your timer schedule to see if anything is recording around the time your Hopper is set to update?

JS_racer

SatelliteGuys Pro
Mar 18, 2007
Twin Cities MN
I've been having trouble with my 5 external drives that I connect as needed to my VIP722 as well. If I connect them it states something to the effect that the drive has been connected to another receiver and must be reformatted to use with my current 722. The problem is that I've had the same 722 for about 9 years now and the drives were never connected to any other receivers. It's been like this for several weeks now but honestly I haven't had time to contact Dish when I am home and in front of the unit. When I do, if they tell me that my drives are not usable this will be the end of my 20+ year association with Dish since the content of those hard drives is a big reason I still have Dish service.
all 5 drives have the same issue ??
is the wording that they must be formatted to work with the receiver, or specifically that they have been used with another receiver ?? if just a format message, most likely the superblock got messed up, not a big deal, all data is still there, and the superblock is backed up a few other places on the drives, it just needs to be copied.

i guarantee dish will have no information on this and you will be instructed to reformat the drives.

i had to do this a few times with my 722 and 622 boxes back in the day.

TVEngineerArk

Sep 14, 2018
Central Arkansas
all 5 drives have the same issue ??
is the wording that they must be formatted to work with the receiver, or specifically that they have been used with another receiver ?? if just a format message, most likely the superblock got messed up, not a big deal, all data is still there, and the superblock is backed up a few other places on the drives, it just needs to be copied.

i guarantee dish will have no information on this and you will be instructed to reformat the drives.

i had to do this a few times with my 722 and 622 boxes back in the day.
I've tried at least 3 of the drives and all have the same issue. It said it has been formatted to use with a different receiver and must be reformatted. But like I said, I've had this receiver for over 10 years and this has never happened before.

And if I lose all this content, much of which isn't readily available from either streaming sources or Blu Ray (or even DVD) in many cases it will remove the last reason we have to keep Dish. My wife keeps bugging me to get rid of the service since we use it so little. With all the streaming content we have and the Fire DVR the money that goes to Dish every month could be better spent on something else. Hopefully when I get a few minutes to call I will luck out and get some assistance. If not, the decision is easy.

Dave90000

SatelliteGuys Family
Lifetime Supporter
Feb 13, 2008
Hey dave90000, usually these messages only come up when something is preventing the Hopper from being able to reboot after the update, can you check your timer schedule to see if anything is recording around the time your Hopper is set to update?
I have changed the times, reduced the standby timer and the receiver reboots in the middle of the night because i sometimes have split recordings. This was not a problem in the past as I have had the H3 since it first came out. This problem started showing up approx 4 updates ago.

tommyd12345

Sep 13, 2011
greenbrier,ar
Sorry I didn't copy the code down, but will reply when it happen again. I just thought it was strange that it happen at same time (11:30 am) .I have the daily reboot/update set for 3:00 am. I couldn't reset the Hopper3 through the remote when is was checking the external HD. I had to use the front panel red button to reboot. My wife's soap was to be recorded at 1:00 PM and the wife's fury would have been unbearable if the soap was not recorded. I still lost 5 mins of recording by rebooting after 90 mins.
Update:
Well this morning at 11:30 am the hopper is checking external HD. The code is 770.

tommyd12345

Sep 13, 2011
greenbrier,ar
Update
Code 770

TVEngineerArk

Sep 14, 2018
Central Arkansas
I wanted to give a quick update on the external hard drive issue I posted about earlier in case this could help someone else on this board. Everything is fine now and the fix is almost embarrassingly simple for a tech guy like myself. I finally got a chance to call the Dish tech support line yesterday when I was in front of the 722. While all my drives were doing the same thing as I mentioned above, I simply had to remove the USB connection from the receiver while the drive was powered on and wait 10 seconds. Plugged it back in and all was good. I tried other drives and it's good to go. So I guess we stay with Dish for a while longer.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest posts