External Hard Drive

Shoot To Thrill

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Jan 17, 2013
United States
Can someone suggest an external hard drive that will work with my Hopper? (I am not looking for a mega capacity unit)

Also, are they just "plug and play" or are there certain steps I need to take?

Thanks-

As far as "mega capacity" I would recommend a hard drive docking station that has its own power supply to allow for maximum capacity. This would allow for multiple hard drives with endless possibilities. I can confirm the Thermaltake BlacX (ST0005U) docking station works, however I'm sure other cheaper stations would work as well.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002QEBMB4/?tag=satell01-20

You plug it in to one of the Hopper USBs , it says format?, you say yes, all done.....

Very good.

If I get one installed, and start recording shows, will I be asked what HD to record to? Or is the external HD used just to transfer recorded shows over to?

As far as "mega capacity" I would recommend a hard drive docking station that has its own power supply to allow for maximum capacity. This would allow for multiple hard drives with endless possibilities. I can confirm the Thermaltake BlacX (ST0005U) docking station works, however I'm sure other cheaper stations would work as well.

Thanks for that suggestion, but since I am new at this I think I will stay with a regular external HD setup.

Playback from either. The internal copy will be gone after the transfer. Also happens the other way.

To view the eternal:
When you plug in the formatted disk you will get another gray button on the DVR top menu bar.
Just select that, for example by red button, right, right, go down to External 1 or 2, click.

To transfer to/from the external press Menu + Down twice + Left (or right 3) + Click + pick from and to drives + Go.
Then click the group(s) of shows by group name or see all ungrouped--if you do not have too many.

-Ken

Just make sure you get an external drive with its own power supply. I have a LaCie 2TB external and it works flawlessly. I believe Best Buy has these for $125 now.

For a few bucks more you can get a WD My Book AV 1Tb drive, $116 on Amazon. It's designed for continuous use and also has an eSata interface in case you ever switch to D*. I used mine when I was with D* and it auto reformatted when I moved to E*
[h=1][/h]

Curious, I looked but did not find this answer, I have external drive hooked up to 722 if I upgrade to Joey will I be able to hook up the current external hard drive up or would I have to reformat and loose everything on it? Basically trying to find out if Hopper and 722 are compatable and external hard drive will work moving from one another. Thanks

Curious, I looked but did not find this answer, I have external drive hooked up to 722 if I upgrade to Joey will I be able to hook up the current external hard drive up or would I have to reformat and loose everything on it? Basically trying to find out if Hopper and 722 are compatable and external hard drive will work moving from one another. Thanks

I would also like to know the answer to this as well.

I would also like to know the answer to this as well.
When I upgraded from a 622 to the Hopper my external drive worked flawlessly---no reformatting and no loss of data. Important!!!? Do not transfer files from the external to your Hopper. Just watch them from the external. Many files transferred from an external to the Hopper used to refuse to play, and transferring them back to the external didn't help. I am not sure if that bug has ever been fixed.

When I upgraded from a 622 to the Hopper my external drive worked flawlessly---no reformatting and no loss of data. Important!!!? Do not transfer files from the external to your Hopper. Just watch them from the external. Many files transferred from an external to the Hopper used to refuse to play, and transferring them back to the external didn't help. I am not sure if that bug has ever been fixed.

Thanks, that's what I needed to know.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts