External Storage Configuration/Multiple HD's

ekilgus

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 22, 2007
Southeast US
There has been discussion in this forum about the use of multiple hard drives for additional storage that apparently required plugging in the particular hard drive you wanted to access.

Well, I was wondering if anyone tried to use a USB 2.0 four port hub. For example: USB cable from the 622 to the hub then 4 cables to 4 hard drive enclosures. Obviously only 1 hard drive would be powered up at a time but all that apparently is required would be to turn on a particular hard drive.

Since I’m using Apricorn hard drive enclosures that can be stacked or arranged side by side it would be really convenient to switch between hard drives simply by powering up the one I want without having to plug and unplug the cables all the time.

The Apricorn enclosure is aluminum and has a 3.5” fan allowing for very good air flow without having to run at high RPM’s making it very quiet and cool which would be important if you have 4 drives side by side. It has the power button on the front of the enclosure (some enclosures have the power switch in the rear, annoying) and a red power light so one can easily see which drive is active.

It seems to me that this arrangement should work but I’ve not yet tried it. Has anyone tried this?

I could not find the exact post, but I believe Scott reported that hubs cannot be used.

i read in one the summaries (i think the 8/13 tech chat summary) that hubs are not initially supported, but that E* plans to support it later.

Thanks FitzAusTex for the info. I went to the tech chat and it doesn't really say much except to say they don't support hubs yet. The conventional use of hubs is to attach several devices simultaneously using a single USB port. It would be interesting to see if I can connect my external HD to the 622 going through a hub. If the 622 recognizes the HD through the hub then it seems that it will recognize which ever HD is powered up at the time. Of course only 1 HD may be powered up at a time since as stated in the chat the 622's software doesn't currently support more than 1 HD at a time. I think it's time to experiment.

Thanks FitzAusTex for the info. I went to the tech chat and it doesn't really say much except to say they don't support hubs yet. The conventional use of hubs is to attach several devices simultaneously using a single USB port. It would be interesting to see if I can connect my external HD to the 622 going through a hub. If the 622 recognizes the HD through the hub then it seems that it will recognize which ever HD is powered up at the time. Of course only 1 HD may be powered up at a time since as stated in the chat the 622's software doesn't currently support more than 1 HD at a time. I think it's time to experiment.

That's because that's ALL they said during the chat. ;)

Probably won't work, but doesn't hurt to try. Given how the manage and upload device tools work, my gut says it won't work.

I've got my external HD (it's a WD My Book) hooked up to my 622 through a powered USB 2.0 hub and it works just fine.
Yea!!! But, if more than one drive was on it, would the SW be able to recognize them separately, my gut says no.

Last edited:
Yea!!! But, if more than one drive was on it, would the SW be able to recognize them separately, my gut says no.
Your guts ? hehe
For OS doesn't matter where is located the HDD - on third level of hub's three or on front USB connector. It has been tested - PocketDish or flash drive will not work with ESD.
So, two HDD will not too.

Without testing I would agree with your gut feeling until E* upgrades the software to support hubs. However, (read my first post) my intention was to have multiple HD's attached via the hub but only have 1 powered up at a time. Since VOLTAIR PRIME tested and verified that a HD will work through a hub then it does appear you can connect multiple HD's. Just be sure that only one is powered up at a time. An additional benefit to doing this would be that when E* does get around to supporting hubs, you're already all set up.

It would only see one drive at a time. Need to only have one plugged in at a time for it to work. If when you take the HDD out of its slot, its like disconnecting the USB cable to it, then in theory it SHOULD work.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)