Exxon Suing Over FXX Logo (1 Viewer)

Register Today to see less ads! It's Free!
Status
Please reply by conversation.

eacalhoun

Pub Member / Supporter
Pub Member / Supporter
Jan 20, 2006
Morganton, NC
Has anyone heard about this? Exxon is suing News Corp. over the FXX logo - the channel that launched Sept 2. More info here:

http://www.latimes.com/entertainmen...-exxon-sues-fxx-logo-20131003,0,1218566.story

Yep, I can understand the confusion..."Honey, give me the remote so I can switch over to the Exxon channel, I mean FXX". Or, "excuse me, sir, I'm almost out of gas so can you direct me to the nearest FXX station - I mean Exxon?" :D

Yespage

SatelliteGuys Master
Pub Member / Supporter
Feb 27, 2010
Ohio
You can't copy-right letters, FXXon!
But you can Trademark them. And yes, I think they need to rebrand the channel to FXXon.

"Get your FXX on!" Heck, they could keep the channel as is and use that phrase for advertising, just to piss off Exxon.

DishSubLA

SatelliteGuys Master
Apr 9, 2006
yeah, it is the way the "X's" cross, and considering past judgements, News corp might lose.

n0qcu

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Sep 7, 2003
Earth
Looking at the wiki links the two logos x's are exact opposites so i myself don't see a problem.

Sent from my iPhone

dare2be

SatelliteGuys God
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 15, 2011
FL
Copyright and trademark laws are out of control.

cosmo_kramer

Master of my Domain
Pub Member / Supporter
Oct 13, 2005
41.605N, -72.879W
images

Jim S.

When someone asks you if you're a god, you say yes
Lifetime Supporter
Jan 2, 2006
FN11od
Not similar at all to me. There's more similarity between Exxon's Xs and the cross on an Orthodox church, and you don't see them suing Exxon...

DNSTrainer

SatelliteGuys Family
Nov 9, 2008
St. Louis area
Exxon has a history with this sort of thing:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exxon#Logo

In 1985, Minolta introduced a new autofocus SLR camera system named "Maxxum" in the United States. Originally, cameras, such as the Maxxum 7000, lenses and flashes used a logo with a crossed 'XX' in 'MAXXUM'.[SUP][/SUP] Exxon considered this a violation of their trademark, and as a result, Minolta was allowed to distribute cameras already produced, but was forced to change the stylistic 'XX' and implement this as a change in new production.[SUP][/SUP]

[h=2][/h]

whitewolf8214

SatelliteGuys Master
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
May 13, 2004
Space
Another crazy lawsuit and I bet Charlie is loving and especially his lawyers!! :D ;) :)

Scherrman

SatelliteGuys Master
Supporting Founder
Mar 14, 2008
Eastern Iowa
I can't believe it would even be worth the time and money to sue over something this ridiculous.

dare2be

SatelliteGuys God
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 15, 2011
FL
Cheap publicity. Now when people see the FXX logo they'll think of Exxon.

Geronimo

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 9, 2003
Charlie and his lawyers really don't care about this lawsuit considering it doesn't involve them....

Somehow it got posted ina DISH forum though so I guess the confusion is understandable.

Laddyboy

SatelliteGuys Pro
Dec 12, 2006
Central IL/SW FL/Big Island
I can't believe it would even be worth the time and money to sue over something this ridiculous.

Exxon is establishing a record of vigorously protecting its intellectual property. That is important for any future disputes with which they may find themselves involved. It's messed up, but the legal process itself is messed up.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Latest posts