Exxon Suing Over FXX Logo

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Not open for further replies.

eacalhoun

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Jan 20, 2006
Morganton, NC
Has anyone heard about this? Exxon is suing News Corp. over the FXX logo - the channel that launched Sept 2. More info here:

http://www.latimes.com/entertainmen...-exxon-sues-fxx-logo-20131003,0,1218566.story

Yep, I can understand the confusion..."Honey, give me the remote so I can switch over to the Exxon channel, I mean FXX". Or, "excuse me, sir, I'm almost out of gas so can you direct me to the nearest FXX station - I mean Exxon?" :D

You can't copy-right letters, FXXon!
But you can Trademark them. And yes, I think they need to rebrand the channel to FXXon.

"Get your FXX on!" Heck, they could keep the channel as is and use that phrase for advertising, just to piss off Exxon.

yeah, it is the way the "X's" cross, and considering past judgements, News corp might lose.

Looking at the wiki links the two logos x's are exact opposites so i myself don't see a problem.

Sent from my iPhone

Copyright and trademark laws are out of control.

images

Not similar at all to me. There's more similarity between Exxon's Xs and the cross on an Orthodox church, and you don't see them suing Exxon...

Exxon has a history with this sort of thing:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exxon#Logo

In 1985, Minolta introduced a new autofocus SLR camera system named "Maxxum" in the United States. Originally, cameras, such as the Maxxum 7000, lenses and flashes used a logo with a crossed 'XX' in 'MAXXUM'.[SUP][/SUP] Exxon considered this a violation of their trademark, and as a result, Minolta was allowed to distribute cameras already produced, but was forced to change the stylistic 'XX' and implement this as a change in new production.[SUP][/SUP]

[h=2][/h]

Another crazy lawsuit and I bet Charlie is loving and especially his lawyers!! :D ;) :)

I can't believe it would even be worth the time and money to sue over something this ridiculous.

Cheap publicity. Now when people see the FXX logo they'll think of Exxon.

Charlie and his lawyers really don't care about this lawsuit considering it doesn't involve them....

Somehow it got posted ina DISH forum though so I guess the confusion is understandable.

I can't believe it would even be worth the time and money to sue over something this ridiculous.

Exxon is establishing a record of vigorously protecting its intellectual property. That is important for any future disputes with which they may find themselves involved. It's messed up, but the legal process itself is messed up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts