Facts about HD Lite on E*

Sean Mota

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
New York City
I am not defending HD Lite but would like to make lots of misinformation and incorrect assumptions flowing in the forum

Current E* HD Channels.

(1280x720p)
ESPN HD
ESPN2 HD
NG HD
Fox HD

(1920x1080i)
Discovery HD Theater
TNT HD
PPV HD
HBO HD
Showtime HD
Universal HD
HGTV HD
Food HD (Macroblocking makes this channel impossible to watch). They are starving the channel.

Current E* HD Lite Channels

(1280x1080i)

Ultra HD
Monsters HD
Rave HD
Equator HD
Gallery HD
Animania HD
Rush HD
HDnews
KungFu HD
FilmFest HD
Family Room HD
GamePlay HD
WorldCinema HD
Treasure HD
WorldSport HD

(1440x1080i)
HDnet Movies
HDnet
NFL HD
Starz HD
CBS HD
NBC HD

Given all this someone may ask what is the quality like on these HD Lite channels. If you are coming from DirecTv, I can give you my assesment. All DirecTv HD channels are HD Lite. So take Discovery HD Theater on DirecTv. The HD Lite channels on E* will look the same or better. But not as good a 1920x1080i channel like the above list. Many HD Enthusiasts would say that they look like "crap" but you need to really read into that statement carefully and make your own decision.

Thanks for the information. I'd be interested in comparisons between dish and comcast as well as fios. I'm in a shopping mood because of Dish's marketing decision not to make new HD available on MPEG2 receivers. If comcast is on a par as far as picture quality and if their DVR is on a par with the 942/622vip I will be very tempted. Not knowing the timetable for fios, I'm reluctant to recommit long term with dish.

what "misinformation and assumptions" are you debunking?

"HD lite" is not HD. Heck, even in the Charlie Chat during a presentation, HD was defined as 1080i or 720p. 1080i is defined as 1920x1080 60Hz interlaced. Not 1280.

Just because D* is doing it doesn't mean either of them are following the law. Both are downgrading broadcast HD as well as selling HD content but not providing HD content on many of those channels.

iKramerica said:
what "misinformation and assumptions" are you debunking?

When I read posts that say "All future E* HD channels will be HD Lite" or "HD channels on E* look like crap". That to me is misinformation.

iKramerica said:
"HD lite" is not HD. Heck, even in the Charlie Chat during a presentation, HD was defined as 1080i or 720p. 1080i is defined as 1920x1080 60Hz interlaced. Not 1280.

Where did I say that HD Lite was "HD". You are preaching to the Choir.

iKramerica said:
Just because D* is doing it doesn't mean either of them are following the law. Both are downgrading broadcast HD as well as selling HD content but not providing HD content on many of those channels.

Again where are you going with this. I used the HD LITE on D* as an example of anyone looking for answers of how HD Lite looks on VOOM HD. My only observation was that if you have seen or watched Discovery HD Theater on D*, the VOOM HD channels look like this or better but less in quality than a 1920x1080i channel. Not really following your logic.

Good post, glad to see all the various info in one place.

A few additions/confirmations:

1. UHD indeed has been reported to be transmitting at 1920x1080i.
2. ESPN2HD is reportedly transmitting at 720p. (No surprise, seems like 720p channels aren't touched)
3. CBS-E still is 1440x1080i.

I'm surprised no one complained during the Charlie Chat about the down-rezzing of Voom channels. The trend has to stop NOW so that future HD channels would not be in jeopardy of going HD-lite. Maybe we can start a petition with the future HD networks to make them sign agreements with E* to provide in FULL HD when they come on board, just as Mark Cuban did with his HDNet and HDNet Movies networks. I'm sure E* will find the space to fit them if the new HD channels coming later this year HAVE to be in full HD.

SummitAdvantageRetailer said:
I'm surprised no one complained during the Charlie Chat about the down-rezzing of Voom channels. The trend has to stop NOW so that future HD channels would not be in jeopardy of going HD-lite. Maybe we can start a petition with the future HD networks to make them sign agreements with E* to provide in FULL HD when they come on board, just as Mark Cuban did with his HDNet and HDNet Movies networks. I'm sure E* will find the space to fit them if the new HD channels coming later this year HAVE to be in full HD.
Why you were surprised?I was not,I new they will screen calls for not answer really good questions.;)

Summit

I thinkyou may have forgottenwho monitors and decides which call(s) to air. I seriously doubt they would allow a question they didn't want to expose their plans.

Jim

Sean Mota said:
I am not defending HD Lite but would like to make lots of misinformation and incorrect assumptions flowing in the forum

Current E* HD Channels.

(1280x760p)
ESPN HD
ESPN2 HD
NG HD

(1440x1080i)
HDnet Movies

(1920x1080i)
Discovery HD Theater
TNT HD
HDnet
PPV HD
HBO HD
Showtime HD
CBS HD***
Universal HD
HGTV HD
Food HD

Current E* HD Lite Channels (1280x1080i)

Ultra HD
Monsters HD
Rave HD
Equator HD
Gallery HD
Animania HD
Rush HD
HDnews
KungFu HD
FilmFest HD
Family Room HD
GamePlay HD
WorldCinema HD
Treasure HD
WorldSport HD
***There was a problem with CBS HD. The resolution of the channel was put at 1440x1080i at one point. Details are yet to follow.

Given all this someone may ask what is the quality like on these HD Lite channels. If you are coming from DirecTv, I can give you my assesment. All DirecTv HD channels are HD Lite. So take Discovery HD Theater on DirecTv. The HD Lite channels on E* will look the same or better. But not as good a 1920x1080i channel like the above list. Many HD Enthusiasts would say that they look like "crap" but you need to really read into that statement carefully and make your own decision. I currently do not subscribe to cable and do not have a good answer for you if you are coming from Cable.
What's STARZ HD's resolution?

Did Voom ever show " the Voom Originals"(not anything else) in Full Hd Glory?? Hell NO!!! so stop bitching about the Voom channels not being shown in HD when they really never were in the first place(ok E* chose to broadcast a couple at 1920x1080i for a while0 BUT VOOM NEVER DID!!!

I'd wish the Hd rez complainers would quit the crying and go over to cable. I did not like HD from Cox, so I left. If you don't like Dish for whatever reason, go somewhere where it is better for you.

Sorry but as a past VOOMER most of their channels looked better than what we now see on DISH VOOM. Not sure why but their PQ was better!

juan said:
Did Voom ever show " the Voom Originals"(not anything else) in Full Hd Glory?? Hell NO!!! so stop bitching about the Voom channels not being shown in HD when they really never were in the first place(ok E* chose to broadcast a couple at 1920x1080i for a while0 BUT VOOM NEVER DID!!!
They showed them at signifcantly better resolution of 1440 compared to 1280

foghorn2 said:
I'd wish the Hd rez complainers would quit the crying and go over to cable. I did not like HD from Cox, so I left. If you don't like Dish for whatever reason, go somewhere where it is better for you.
I wish people that didnt care about PQ would stop crying about those who do :rolleyes:

Shame on you HD-Lite Apologists...

Q: What do the civilians of Nazi Germany and a group of HD-Lite Apologists have in common?

A: They both turned a blind-eye and a deft-ear toward unfolding events because many lacked character and conviction; it's called dereliction, cowardice, irresponsibility, indifference, selfishness...and a whole lot of other really bad words.:shh

But perhaps we give the HD-Lite Apologists way too much credit? Just like the proverbial pig laying contently in the mud, maybe the HD-Lite Apologists lack the mental capacity to distinguish the difference between such concepts as: Heaven and Hell, Good and Evil, HD and HD-Lite. I may be on to something...:yes

Anyway, they have a places for HD-Lite Apologists...it's called Jail, or the AVSForum.:dev

Shame on you HD-Lite Apologists...the finger of shame is pointing directly at you!:down

Sean Mota said:
Updating this thread....

Is HDnet Movies at HD Lite mode? How about Food HD is it HD Lite as well?

HDnet Movies is 1440x1080i and i just tested a clip that went up to almost 16mbps.

HDnet on the other hand seems to be locked in at 12.18 mbps.

The NFL HD preview channel is getting about 13.5 mbps, and 1440x1080i also.