Fairly obvious question about "Test Mode"

krhainos

Original poster
Mar 8, 2008
I've been subscribed to Dish Network for about three months now, and I have one DishPro 301 reciever. Ever since the setup was installed, "Test Mode" appears on my reciever. I didn't do anything to it, it's just been there since day one. I figure it'd be a first-time thing, and would disappear after a month or so of being subscribed, but it's still there. Now I'm really curious as to what it does/means.

dishtest.jpg

Insight? Good thing? Bad thing? Do they have the ability of turning this off?

Do you get channels that you aren't paying for? Maybe it is in engineering mode?

I guessed Engineering Mode, but I didn't do anything to set that -- since it was a new-in-box settop. He called in, did what seemed like a standard activation -- made sure I got my TV Japan and left. Installer was very nice and it was quick and painless.

Later I noticed I was getting MH1 (812, Punjabi?), Shop Latino (883), CCTV (884, Chinese), iTVN (736, Polish?). Nothing I'd actually watch, let alone understand. Nothing else interesting appearing on my box otherwise.

A store I worked at about 10 years ago had a directv receiver that was in engineering mode, all it got you was the ability see all the channels in the guide. Almost all got the not subscribed message but we were able to see the directv control room.

I guessed Engineering Mode, but I didn't do anything to set that -- since it was a new-in-box settop. He called in, did what seemed like a standard activation -- made sure I got my TV Japan and left. Installer was very nice and it was quick and painless.

Later I noticed I was getting MH1 (Punjabi?), Shop Latino (883), CCTV (884, Chinese), iTVN (736, Polish?). Nothing I'd actually watch, let alone understand. Nothing else interesting appearing on my box otherwise.

I think Shop Latino (883) & CCTV (884, Chinese) are free to any subscriber I think. Not sure about the others.

812 and 736 not in my guide. Possibly because I don't have the sat position? I have 119, 110, & 61.5.

Brand New Install? And they used a DP301? My question.. Do you actually get a bill from Dish? Or from your Dealer/Installer?

I was expecting a Dish 311 reciever, but I got a 301 instead. I went to RadioShack, got one of the $50 card things to sign up with Dish -- setup an install over the phone, and a local contractor joint from Canton, Ohio (i think?) called Digital Dish installed it. They placed in a DP34 switch for me to see the 110, 119, and 118 orbital locations because I signed up for Top 100, TV-Japan, and Locals. I'm thinking it's a mixup since I got the manual, remote control ref card, and setup guides for a 311.

And yea, I do get a bill from Dish.

iTVN (Polish) disappeared -- I used to be able to see it but not anymore. The Punjabi/MH1 channel has some pretty sweet Indian techno every once in a while though during their "Back to Back Music" programs.

Little side story, I got a 301 a couple of years ago when Radio Shack had them on clearance and had a nice rebate for taking it off of their hands. They had to ship it in from another store.

I forget but either I paid $10 - $20 or they paid me after rebate. I don't recall. But I don't think RS has them at all by now, so I too am thinking this must be a 3rd party thing.

Dish DVR Advantage rant!

Pictures, Snowed in Dish 500

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)