"fast forward and skip forward are not available for this program"

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Jim S.

When someone asks you if you're a god, you say yes
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Jan 2, 2006
FN11od
I never saw this message on VOD before. (I never use VOD, but my girlfriend does occasionally, and she's never seen it either.) So what's that all about? I asked her if the show was streaming live or previously downloaded and she said downloaded.

Reactions: melro
I see this on a variety of downloaded or other on demand types of events. Most of the time what is stated is not applicable. I can still move backward and forward.

I saw this on the NBC VOD of Aquarius. I think you might see it on VOD copies of network TV.. I have never seen it on any other VODs that I've watched.

This was on the DIY channel, not a broadcast network. And Tron2012, forwarding definitely did not work. In fact, trying it was what produced the message. Where were you seeing the message, if not when trying to forward?

If you Google it, it's across the board with all providers and some nets/shows. Some advertisers must be demanding to get their money's worth. Go figure!

Fast Forward on streaming video is difficult to implement since download speeds are often throttled (else high speed receivers would hog all the bandwidth) and if you want to FFW past the current download point the sending unit must do the FFW at the source then send it. Even the Hopper has quite a bit of lag when trying a remote FFW with its one stream, I can imagine how difficult it is to do on a large scale system with hundreds+ streams each trying trick plays.

Fast Forward on streaming video is difficult to implement since download speeds are often throttled (else high speed receivers would hog all the bandwidth) and if you want to FFW past the current download point the sending unit must do the FFW at the source then send it. Even the Hopper has quite a bit of lag when trying a remote FFW with its one stream, I can imagine how difficult it is to do on a large scale system with hundreds+ streams each trying trick plays.

But this one was downloaded for later watching. (Of course, that still doesn't mean Dish is going to handle it rationally... For example, why do I get a version that barely even looks like proper SD when I download an HD version, just because I have a crappy internet provider? If I'm willing to let it download first, I should get the full-quality version.)

Reactions: edisonprime
For example, why do I get a version that barely even looks like proper SD when I download an HD version, just because I have a crappy internet provider? If I'm willing to let it download first, I should get the full-quality version.

I completely agree with you, but alas that's not how the darn thing works. It depends on your download speed as though you were watching the stream live. I find SD iVOD looks about as good as a DVD, but I have 30 down.

because I have a crappy internet provider? If I'm willing to let it download first, I should get the full-quality version.)
As mentioned, you'd think that's how it works, but it doesn't. Think about it: Should it take 1 hour to download for one quality level ? Should it take 2 hours to get better quality ? What if it wants to take 6 hours ? Depending on the content provider, I wonder if some don't allow Dish to save a copy to the HDD for later viewing due to copyright reasons.

I see this on a variety of downloaded or other on demand types of events. Most of the time what is stated is not applicable. I can still move backward and forward.
Not now they don't. I cannot go forward or backward on a lot of them. It's infuriating

I'm sick and tired of this feature that does not work on far too many On Demand programs. I'm trying to show my husband the end of one HGTV program and cannot go forward or backward. This isn't exactly great for shows that want to expand their audience. It's infuriating is what it is.

I have seen this behavior before as well. I don't remember the program but I had watched part of it and paused. Came back later and the only option was to start from the beginning. I thought, no problem I will FF through what I have already seen, NOPE, had to watch it from the beginning again to get to the part I had not watched yet.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)