Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
I am receiving word that there may be some defective SuperDish's out there. It appears that some of the FSS LNB's are temperature sensitive. I am told that the lot number of these defective LNBs is P310, P311, & P312.

I am told that some DNS service centers have been instruced to swap out these assemblys.

I have no idea however how a consumer identifies a lot number on their Dish, or if there is or will be any kind of recall on Dishes that are out there.

More information on this would be excellent. I have a service call scheduled Friday due to a faulty 121 FSS LNB and if it was covered, that would be great! I have to shimmy up the roof tonight anyways to run two new drops so I'll take a look at the FSS LNB to see if there is any lot numbers on them.

I know that I'm not the only one that has had issues recently. A good friend has the same problem that I do. There are a couple of threads over at DBSTalk on the issue. A quick scan here doesn't show any threads that are obviously related yet.

Mine was swapped out 2 weeks ago. No problems now. Dont know if the lot numbers are the same. Signal would go out during the day and return at night. IT started out on the locals on 105 then got to the point that no tv in the house had a signal on any satellite.

I am told by one of my contacts at Dish you can find the lot number by removing the plastic LNB Shroud and on the bottom there is a sticker with the information there.

bryan92 said:
Signal would go out during the day and return at night.

I have a customer that is having this problem with 105 on their SuperDish. Now i know where to start first, thanks!

I have a LNB assembly sitting right here and it does in fact have a Lot# on it. As soon as get my customer taking care of I'll let you guys know what the Lot# is on the LNB and if in fact it's the problem.

This is some great info!

BTW, this is my first post here but I've been here reading around for a few weeks. You guys have a really great site, it's full of some great information and knowledgeable people.

Thanks!!

Scott Greczkowski said:
I am told by one of my contacts at Dish you can find the lot number by removing the plastic LNB Shroud and on the bottom there is a sticker with the information there.

Yep, I've attached a picture of the new one i have here showing where the Lot# is located.

Thanks for the welcome korsjs, kewl AV! I'm a Rusty Wallace fan myself, but don't hold that against me. :D

Attachments

• FSS.jpg
    FSS.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 281
Scott Greczkowski said:
So if we do have a faulty LNB, any suggestions on getting Dish to fix it free?

When I called last night the CSR I spoke with was clueless and said that she has never heard of an LNB failing like that. I know that alone shouldn't be a suprised. I was actually expecting that when I immediately asked for a service date/time to replace a failed LNB and listed all their scripted testes that would be used to troubleshoot. When she asked if I installed dishes, I knew she at least had a clue that I knew what I was talking about.

If she didn't know they might be swapping the assemblies, I doubt calling back in for someone else is going to yield a much better answer unless I can point to something concrete for them to reference that says for sure they are doing it.

Well what would you know. I got a lot P312 LNB. My install was in Feb of '04, so presuming that P310 and P311 were prior consecutive runs to P312, anyone with a very late '03 or early '04 install could be effected.

Bad lot of fss superdish lnb's

That what you get when you get junk Thats MADE IN CHINA Temperature sensative lnbs is not a new thing Directv had that problem with the 1 st run of california amplifer triple lnb's for the phase 3 dish

I had to replace a 110 lnbf with that lot number on it and was going to look for the cost of the lnbf since I am thinking that she is out of warranty. I wonder if Dish Network is going to reimburse us for the service call.

Well!

I find it amazing that now, after I went through holly hell with mine last year, that this problem is in fact cropping up on others! This is exactly what was wrong with mine! Dish replaced it just after Ivan came through here. Went through nine yards of "Check the switch, check the cables, re-alighn the dish, look for obstructions", and a whole host of folks trying to say that digital equipment will not fail like that. So far, no problem with the one that's there now. :cool:

lose signal with warm afternoon temperatures

I was losing signal when the sun got on the satellite side of the house. Thought it might be the the LNB so draped a small cold dish rag over the top of the LNB where it didn't interfere with the signal. Didn't seem to make a difference. Then I cooled the DP34 switch with a window fan. That makes the signal come back. Ran all weekend that way during the afternoons. Is it just a bad switch that fails under temperature, or is my system on the edge? Dish is sending out a new switch, but I'd like to put my window fan to better use. How cool does the switch environment need to be? Should the switch be running warm to the touch?

I installed my SD in Sept '04. I have not had any problems so far in this Texas heat so I might be OK.

My switch is in the attic so I imagine that it is very hot to the touch and somebody will need pot holders to grab the thing.

So far heat has not been an issue here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)