FCC might reject Dish's "small business" discounts from last auction

Cmon, multi billion dollar company looking for a small business discount?

You know it's a scam like the rest of stuff dish tries to get away with
They followed the rules to the T... It wasn't a multi billion dollar company bidding... It was a small company backed by a multi billion dollar company that made a bid. Every major company did and has done this. It is the governments fault for having that loophole there. They can tuck their tail between their legs and admit fault, honor their deal, and then close the loophole in the future. This is by no means Dish fault. This is whoever approved the rules for the bindings fault.

Well, everything is politics, but this is NOT partisan politics, just how Washington does things:

Supposed pro-consumer USP and Administration appoints a "Hands Off" FCC (as in don't impose data caps nor get in the way of mergers and just plain don't impose anything and let the market do the work) and appointing a former Cable Co lobbyist as its Chairman to be anti-consumer and pro-business; then elected "the buck stops here" top guy at the White House who appointed this "hands off" FCC changes his PUBLIC mind and goes public and harshly criticizes the FCC and demands the agency seek regulatory rule to prevent data caps; There was not a media merger this FCC did NOT like (Comcast/NBCUniversal being just one), but after giving what seemed an almost assured blessing to the Comcast/TWC merger, this "hands off" FCC decides to MYSTERIOUSLY CHANGE the definition of "broadband" to far faster speeds than what was a mere 3Mbps (after the public whipping by the WH) with the effect of making a Comcast/TWC just about impossible. New mission accomplished: Comcast/TWC merger dead.

No action I'm aware against Verizon and AT&T for having done the very same "abusing" of the "minority" clause for auctions, but as of today, only Dish may suffer the consequences. This is how far more larger, wealtier and more powerful companies who have more politicians in their pockets and have real connections with the members of the FCC, such as Tom, get their way by unleashing the hounds against much smaller and less politically connected Dish. Not that I feel bad for Dish, just that Verizon and AT&T ought to be with Dish in the dock because they ALL may have done something improper.

Meanwhile, Poor Tom is a coming and a going. Can he ever figure out what his virtual boss, the ONE who appointed him as chief, really wants? After all he was put there to make certain the FCC does essentially NOTHING and act anti-consumer and pro-business so that campaign contributors can get what they paid for. Now, Tom is being told to be pro-consumer (not in poor Tom's DNA). This is not partisan, but is Washington and how both parties muddle things and how one company faces the specter of consequences when their competitors get away with it, and that is political. All business is political and THIS ISSUE is political because when it comes to the FCC, it is they who pick the winners and losers with NO MARKET forces at work, really. So, now, the FCC, a powerful regulatory agency that can make even the biggest company's life miserable, feels it wants to do with Dish what it seemingly should have done in the past with Verizon and AT&T. That's the funky smell of Washington at work. Sadly, this would be the same scenario even if the opposition party had won the WH. So, as far as this issue, it would have made no difference if a Dem or a Repub had won the WH.

Reactions: AZ.
They followed the rules to the T... It wasn't a multi billion dollar company bidding... It was a small company backed by a multi billion dollar company that made a bid. Every major company did and has done this. It is the governments fault for having that loophole there. They can tuck their tail between their legs and admit fault, honor their deal, and then close the loophole in the future. This is by no means Dish fault. This is whoever approved the rules for the bindings fault.

Not really, if this were truly the intent, ATT/VZ/TM/S would be using small shell companies in every auction to get the small business discount. They clearly knew the rules and are not trying for a discount. Do you really think a court would rule that the federal government owes Dish 3 billion for a loophole, no the court would rule that Dish should have known better. Dish is not a naive person dealing with the government.

Reactions: dare2be
Again, just because they exploited the rule, they did not break it. ATT, Vz, and all the others have used shell companies for this.

As my wife says - the rules are the rules . If you don't like them, change the rules.-

Dish will sue and win if fcc tries to unwind the auction.

Reactions: ChadT41
I would be ok with taking the discounts away if Dish broke the rules... I am not if Dish broke the spirit of the rule. What's in black and white is what matters... Not what you wish people would have done anyways. As I have stated many times, give them their discounts, and then change the rules for the next auction so this doesn't happen again... And severely punish whoever approved the rules this time around as they should have known better.

Reactions: TheKrell
As my wife says - the rules are the rules . If you don't like them, change the rules.-

Dish will sue and win if fcc tries to unwind the auction.

Absolutely.....and when people wonder why things are screwed up....Think about this and another few 10s of thousands of rules/laws just like it.....and always remember,,, ITS US THAT END UP PAYING FOR IT!.... You think there is a nice little tax break in there? So we in the long run pay for these little games that are completely legal.....

The FCC does not want a reduction in the number of wireless carriers. I don't think that the FCC would approve a Sprint-TMobile merger. That would essentially lock up the wireless market to just three carriers.

Reactions: Tampa8

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)