Federal lawsuit on Bundled Channels

Because there are penalities for not subbing to Higher programming today with DISH. ANd I don't expect that to change even if Ala carte is allowed. THey might say all channels are available for a price, but unless they outlaw companies for penalizing you for not bundleing we will still pay out the ass for programming and get less channels to boot.

If you want to escape the dvr fees today you either have one dvr and do the dvr advantage pack or you sub to AEP for a much higher price. DISH has you boxed in this way to push you to the higher programming costs to escape the extra fees for not doing so. DISH used to charge no dvr fees and you only had an additional receiver fee of 4.99 per extra receiver after the first. Now they have invented a fee for everything. The hd access fee of 6.00 per hd receiver if you don't sub to the $20.00 hd pack, the dvr fee at 5.98 PER dvr Receiver, the no phone line access fee of 5.00, the additional receiver fee of now 5.00 for sd and 6.00 for hd receiver. THese are all fees TODAY . I don't see them going away even if we do ala carte so my point still stands . We won't save anymore money with Ala carte unless the FCC makes it illegal for cable/sat providers to hit you with extra fees for not bundeling.
I want less channels..At the most I could use a channel package with 30 -40 channels ..That's all I watch.....
I think most of you are making this far too complicated.

While you make saleint points I have but one gripe. Why should I as a pay TV sunsciber be forced to subsidize services that so few watch?..I consioder this bundling thing to be a form of welfare.
Sorry but i don't care if the baby channel poops the bed.

You make a funny but true addition to exactly what I pointed out. A la carte programming is a good thing. The only trick is how to alter the business model and make it work so that everybody wins.

Think this thru with me. I'm trying to come up with a solution to this. How do the premium channels like HBO and Showtime do it? They have no advertising, yet they manage to stay afloat and keep producing several of their own original shows, which costs mega bucks. The only way they can do this is with subscriber dollars. Why can't the rest of the channels employ the same business model?

I am betting that people would not choose ala carte channels if they were offered at a cost that would make the content providers the same amount of money as they would make from the ad revenue that would be lost from not accepting the additional channels. I wonder how many people would chose to pay $25 per month for Nickelodeon as opposed to paying $20 for a package of programming that includes Nickelodeon and a bunch of other channels that generate ad revenue for the content provider?
at $25 per month per sub there would be no one insane enough to sub to that channel.....
I will not accept the speculative notuion that the loss of QVC , the tennis channel and Sitv would cause ESPN to charge $30 per month...

Think this thru with me. I'm trying to come up with a solution to this. How do the premium channels like HBO and Showtime do it? They have no advertising, yet they manage to stay afloat and keep producing several of their own original shows, which costs mega bucks. The only way they can do this is with subscriber dollars. Why can't the rest of the channels employ the same business model?
I honestly don't know the answer to this but how many hours of programing does HBO provide per month? Whenever I look at their listings every show is repeated numerous times per month.

I would bet that they show less than 1/4 of what Discovery Science or National Geographic or SciFi show each month. And if you look to the broadcast networks, they each must do 10 times the programing as all of the HBO channels rolled into one.

Does anybody know the actual numbers and what price per hour that would work out to?

I admit there is no getting away from the fact that what hours they do produce are usually very good but anyone who saw "Broken Trail" knows that the broadcast networks aren't that bad anymore either.

I want less channels..At the most I could use a channel package with 30 -40 channels ..That's all I watch.....
I think most of you are making this far too complicated.

Dishcomm,

Under Ala carte pricing a 30-40 Channel package would likely cost about 60-70 bucks.

Bundling sounds much better to me. If you don't want to see a bunch of Channels then set a favorite list or lock your system and Lock all the channels you don't want to see.

John

The direct to home market was just a ancillary use of an existing resource. The companies selling programming weren't footing the bill for satellites, uplink centers or any kind of support infrastructure.

Someone was footing that bill. Oh yeah, it was the programmers. The signals were being uplinked for distribution to cable companies and commercial users (like bars).

The majority of the infrastructure was there when DBS started. Just new satellites and related hardware. I think the same model would work. Split the hardware providers and the programming, then allowing others to resell/bundle as they wish. DirectTV sort of took that route with multiple hardware developers, but locked up the programming. Echostar current has both locked in the US, though they do let someone else re-bundle the programming in Canada. That's proof the model can work.

Quit treating/thinking about it all like cable, and come up with a new paradigm. Hell, per show pricing might be the way. Say 5 cents for most shows, or "subscribe" to a show for yearly price. Some shows would be more, some less based on normal pricing factors (note price != cost, study economic).

But lets see some options instead of the same old cable method. Ala cartre, multiple bundles, per show all could have their place depending on an individual's viewing habits.

I personally have a problem with being forced to subsidize a channel in order to get one I like. If nothing else how about a bundled system where you could DEDUCT a channel. For instance if the cost of a channel is fifty cents a month and its in my package, at least let me dump it if I don't like it (or more importantly, don't want to support it) and save at least HALF of that fifty cents. That way there is some subsidy for the niche channels but people could still vote with their wallets.

And while we're correcting the free market let's picket the grocery stores for making us buy two 8 bun packages to get buns for the 10 hot dogs they make you buy!.

And I'm really sick of the newspaper having 50+ pages when I just want the weather and who won the games last night and maybe science and TV news.

No justice, no peace!

And while we're correcting the free market let's picket the grocery stores for making us buy two 8 bun packages to get buns for the 10 hot dogs they make you buy!.

Buy bun length hot dogs. They come 8 in a pack (still 1lb of meat too).

Maybe ala carte would force the crap channels out and force these companies to provide better programming to make them want to pay for the channels. Maybe it will also cause some of the less popular channels to shut down and free up some space for HD and other quality content.

You make a funny but true addition to exactly what I pointed out. A la carte programming is a good thing. The only trick is how to alter the business model and make it work so that everybody wins.

I'm no MBA, but I think it's pretty easy. With the proliferation of DVRs out there today, you make one channel with a robust programming lineup, with all programming around a central theme.

No need for Food Network, DIY, and HGTV, just one home improvement channel that combines all of the original programming from each network, appropriate syndicated/partner programming (This Old House, etc.), and treat it the same as the "Big 4" OTA networks.

Time Warner only needs one cable net, as would A&E, Fox, ABC/Disney, etc. If you look at the programming lineups on most of these channels, you are likely to see 30 minutes to 1 hour of new programming per day, at the most. The rest is either multiple-time repeats of their originals, or syndicated/old network shows that have been around forever.

Right. And even though it will eventually happen (in my opinion), I won't only be ordering ESPN and ESPN2, but I'll also be getting ABC Family, SOAPNet, and all of the other channel that are extended family members. At least I'd assume that's how it will happen. In other words, you might get Nickelodeon, but you'll probably be getting MTV along with it...

Cade

If this system were implemented, your SOAPNET would probably go poof. I would ditch SOAPNET in an instant as I've never watched the channel. 90% of the country might do the same. Then the advertising model falls apart and the channel goes away.

I'm no fan of bundling, but I blame the program developers, not the distributors. Dish wanted no part of NickToons, but Viacom rammed it down their throats in order to get CBS renewed.

It will take a law banning the practice before anything will change...

I think such a law banning the bundling of cable networks could face constitutional challenges on First Amendment grounds.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts