Fine Tuning Pointing

masterdrago

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 12, 2019
SE Texas
So I've now done this at least a dozen times. It always seems somewhat irritating to get no or weak on bird 129. I've got the tripod level, mast plumb and backing plate of 1000.2 DPP perpendicular to the magnetic location. Small azimuth adjustments can get better signal on 129 with a sacrifice of 110. Are there tricks that I need to know? Should I use instead the true azimuth which is usually ~2°-3° back east of the magnetic reading.
backing plate 1000.2.jpg
dish 3 birds.jpg

Assuming you have the skew correct, adjust your azmuth to get best signal on 119. Then, with one or two fingers on the top of the dish, change the elevation slightly up and down to achieve best signal. Lock it on that position, then check all three strengths.

Sat 129 will not register as strong a signal as the other two. None of the three signal strengths in your pics are adequate. I'm guessing that either your skew or elevation is off.

If you don't have a meter, you need to get one so that you can detect the signal strength in real time. I used a cheap one (less than $10) for eleven years of full timing. Worked great.

Also, transponder 6 is not one you should use. It's been a while since I had to set one up, but transponder 11 or 21 sounds right. Maybe someone else can chime in on that.

Thanks for the tip on putting slight pressure on the top of antenna. I'll try that upcoming weekend trip. The signals I get are what I get most often. I'm not sure of the quality of the coax run in the RV as there are two smallish displays on two Wally receivers. I did go behind the convenience center and rip out all the tees, and other connectors as there were two going outside (don't use those anyway). The coax running from the 1000.2 to new wall connections is 50ft Outdoor Dual RG-6 Coax Cable w/Ground Messenger 3Ghz 75 Ohm UL ETL cm Water Seal Compression Connectors w/Weather Boot Satellite TV & Internet Cable Assembled in USA by PHAT SATELLITE INTL, so decent stuff. The quality of the picture on both displays is pretty much flawless for the cheap 32"-40" "Best Buy" brands. Could use a sound bar in the living room as it competes with the A/C unit.

I have 2 of those El-Cheapo meters, one is a Wingard and they will tell me that I'm pointing at 'some' bird, but my compass is far better as it is a real quality job.

I've always wondered about the transponder as it picks/chooses different ones randomly. One time when I tuned to channel 205 (Fox News) I got some no signal note about some transponder not fetched?? It appeared to clear itself later. I suppose there is a book on transponders that I don't need to read. LOL

Reactions: charlesrshell
Thanks for the tip on putting slight pressure on the top of antenna. I'll try that upcoming weekend trip. The signals I get are what I get most often. I'm not sure of the quality of the coax run in the RV as there are two smallish displays on two Wally receivers. I did go behind the convenience center and rip out all the tees, and other connectors as there were two going outside (don't use those anyway). The coax running from the 1000.2 to new wall connections is 50ft Outdoor Dual RG-6 Coax Cable w/Ground Messenger 3Ghz 75 Ohm UL ETL cm Water Seal Compression Connectors w/Weather Boot Satellite TV & Internet Cable Assembled in USA by PHAT SATELLITE INTL, so decent stuff. The quality of the picture on both displays is pretty much flawless for the cheap 32"-40" "Best Buy" brands. Could use a sound bar in the living room as it competes with the A/C unit.

I have 2 of those El-Cheapo meters, one is a Wingard and they will tell me that I'm pointing at 'some' bird, but my compass is far better as it is a real quality job.

I've always wondered about the transponder as it picks/chooses different ones randomly. One time when I tuned to channel 205 (Fox News) I got some no signal note about some transponder not fetched?? It appeared to clear itself later. I suppose there is a book on transponders that I don't need to read. LOL
The default satellite and transponder the receiver displays is usually related to which channel it was tuned to last.

Based on the OP's pictures, its easy to tell why he is not getting signal on 129. Transponders 16 and below on that satellite are all spot beams, meaning the majority will read 0 unless you are in range of one. Transponders 17 and above should be used to measure reception of national broadcast channels, usually 23 being the hottest as noted by HipKat.

All great advice! Each area has slightly different signal levels but what does everyone feel is the minimum and what would be considered great?
It depends not only on location, but also what satellite specifically and satellite dish used. For 129 I would say 45+ is adequate and 55+ great, minimum probably low 20's. Highest I've gotten 129 is 58 on a 1000+. 110/119 adequate starts more like in the 60's with 40's being a minimum, 75+ being great. 83 is the highest I've been able to get 119 on a 1000.2. These are all Wally/Hopper readings by the way, my VIP equipment reads slightly higher across the board. I also have not experimented enough with EA to tell you certain numbers there, but I believe both satellites behave like 129 for the most part.

I also have not experimented enough with EA to tell you certain numbers there, but I believe both satellites behave like 129 for the most part.
I typically see numbers in the 45-55 range on the EA sats, with the lower numbers in the northeast and the higher numbers in the southeast. I just checked my EA numbers where I currently am near Salt Springs, FL, and 61.5 is at 53 and 72.7 is at 51 using a 1000.2 EA LNB on a 1000.4 dish.

I'm seeing that most are saying that my signals are low. I would agree, except that on the two small displays (32"-40") connected to the two wally receivers, I don't ever have rain fade and the reception is clear with great color. I rarely get much over 55 signal. Again, I'll mention that the coax in the travel trailer most likely is the El-Cheapo variety. Just for reference, at home on a Hopper where the dish is professionally installed, the signals are 50 on 129, 62 on 119, and 54 on 110. The pix is great on the 65" display with rain fade only when the storm is intense and in a direct line with the birds. We do rarely get a temporary blackout (several seconds) or a funky picture when the Chi-Coms or North Koreans are jacking the birds. LOL

Reactions: charlesrshell
I'm seeing that most are saying that my signals are low. I would agree, except that on the two small displays (32"-40") connected to the two wally receivers, I don't ever have rain fade and the reception is clear with great color. I rarely get much over 55 signal. Again, I'll mention that the coax in the travel trailer most likely is the El-Cheapo variety. Just for reference, at home on a Hopper where the dish is professionally installed, the signals are 50 on 129, 62 on 119, and 54 on 110. The pix is great on the 65" display with rain fade only when the storm is intense and in a direct line with the birds. We do rarely get a temporary blackout (several seconds) or a funky picture when the Chi-Coms or North Koreans are jacking the birds. LOL
With any digital signal, the resulting image will be great, until it's not. A low signal strength can still get you a perfect picture, there's just not much leeway if something goes "wrong" (storm, snow, leaves, etc). The better the signal, the more "cushion" you have until the picture goes out.