FIOS and DirecTV on the same coax? Need help stacking and splitting.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

kaplansa

Original poster
Apr 4, 2009
Northern Virginia
Unique situation. I have two coax connections in each room in my house and a 6x8 multiswitch feeding dual-channel DVRs in each room (although my dish only uses 4 inputs on the 6x8). Everything works GREAT.... until you get to the study and living room.

PLOT #1

My study is on one side of a wall, the living room on the other side of the wall. There's one pair of coax running up inside that that wall and a plate on either side - I suppose the builders figured you could put a TV on one side or the other, not both. But I want a TV on both sides. I'd love to put a splitter or multiswitch or some device on either side of the wall to split the two coax cables into four and feed dual tuner DVRs on both sides of wall. But wait...

PLOT #2

I've also got FIOS. The Verizon installer hijacked one of the coax cabels running up this wall, which terminates at a router in my study. The other cable in the wall runs from the multiswitch in the basement to a single-tuner DVR also in my study. So technically, on my 6x8 multiswitch, it's really being used as a 4x7. With me so far?

This works fine for my purposes today. But I'm geting a 55" LCD for my living room on Tuesday, so...

PLOT #3

How do I get my FIOS signal on the same cable run as my DTV signal? Back in the OTA days, I would get a multiplexer/demultiplexer to push an OTA signal on the DTV cable, and then demux it on the back end at the DVR. Can this be done with FIOS? That would solve a problem because then I could get dual channel DVR service in addition to FIOS in my study!

But this still leaves the question of how to split the new dual channel DTV signals into four so I can have a TV on either side of the wall.

Tell me if you need a visual image :) Man, the wife's gonna kill me when she see's the "surprise" TV and no way to hook it up...

Help save my marriage! Cheers.

-- Seth

Last edited:
What dish do you have? Cable signals can be diplexed on a sat line, but if you have the KaKu dush it becomes problematical.

I suggest you run additional lines.

With a basic cable feed and a standard (non HD) Directv receiver you can diplex the signal with no problem. Try diplexing a HD signal and your begging for "searching for satellite signal" messages. Like JD said, run new lines.

Fios

Unfortunately, the MOCA specification that verizon uses for data runs upwards of 1ghz, right in the middle of what directv uses regardless of where you place the b-band converter. Your best bet is to either run another piece of coax from either the ONT or dish to that room or run cat 5 from the ont to your router for data. Either way, fios and directv cannot share the same piece of coax.

What about single wire multiswitching?

I read about SWMing on another forum. Check out this wiring diagram.

weaknees.com/pdf/swm-wb68.pdf

I wonder if this solves my problem? I've got a 5-LNB dish and HR20 DVRs scattered through the house. So assume my current Zinwell 6x8 is the box on the right in the diagram, and feeding every other DVR in the house (not incl. the study or living room). If I get a SWM, the box on the left, I connect a single cable run from it to the wall in question, where I split the cable and run one half to the study and the other half to the living room.

Apparently all the newer DTV DVRs (like the HR20, 21, 22) can handle SWMing. This would imply I've got the problem solved, especially since I don't have to touch the other coax run to the wall that's carrying the FIOS signal. I can totally leave it alone.

Am I missing anything?

Thanks!

SWM still uses the same frequencies that MOCA does. SWM will greatly simply the installation of dual-tuner dvrs due to its lack of a need for 2 runs of coax per dvr. However, it still cannot be used to diplex directv and fios's MOCA on the same line. Either run a new coax line from the dish to the receiver or run ethernet from the ont to the actiontec and use the existing coax for directv.

when diplexing kaku putting the bbc in front of the diplexer works most of the time. the fios issue is another thing.

Bottom Line:

Moca equipment can not be stack on top of Sat bands. Like a previous poster has stated Moca reaches up into the 1ghz band and hence can not be band stacked with a diplexer.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts