FIOS TV?

rac638

Original poster
Sep 15, 2008
Seriously thinking about switching to FIOS. Does anyone know how their HD programming is? Right now I have AEP w/HD and it's just getting too expensive.

Seriously thinking about switching to FIOS. Does anyone know how their HD programming is? Right now I have AEP w/HD and it's just getting too expensive.

HD quality is great... Verizon lacks the capability to reprocess video, then send out over the network exactly what they get in, which means most channels run 17-18mbps in mpeg2, no HD-lite to be found anywhere. SD quality is also much better, their SD runs about 4mbps compared to most digital cable that runs at 2mbps.

HD is included in the price, no extra charge (the recievers cost more per month though). it was 30 channels when I left in April, most if not all markets have expanded by now and probably have most everyting dish has anymore, or will soon.

I'd still have it had I not moved to NV out of Verizon territory.

scale down on some of the programming then........it won't be any cheaper with FiOS

Of course unless you take the triple freedom bundle - phone, internet, and tv for $94 for 2 years.

Here in NY (not sure of what other markets) they have 95 HD national channels. Downside is that the sports offering is weak.

I have Fios internet only here. Have the 50 Mbps/20 Mbps plan. Download a blu-ray movie in less then a minute. Service is nice, but for customer service... that's an entirely different thing. I really really dislike phone support with a passion from Verizon.

If you go by the chart at avsforum, Dish still blows away fios with the most full time HD channels.
(The Official AVS National HD Channel Lineups - Cable, DBS, Fiber - Updated 8/30/08 @ avsforum)
Nevermind fios doesn't know how to make a multi-room DVR, that works the way it should. From what I've read and what fios told me they are coming out with a new DVR to fix the problem. :eek:
Do some reading you may be surprised in what you find.

Also why would you post this in Dish Network Forums?:confused:

I've been thinking about switching myself. As for the DVR problems, Motorola is the company who makes it. They use the same equipment and models, major cable companies use as well. ( I know because I had it ) What gets my attention, is the multi-room connected DVR programming. My current bill with Dish is $225 a month and begining to annoy me. Dish still hasn't made good on advertised "promises" and waiting three years for them to add my local channel market to the line up. Tired of paying four times the amount I was with Mediacom Cable and viewing news from Philly when I live in Southern Delaware. If it wasn't for newspapers, I would be completely lost with whats going on around me. The one very big thing keeping me with Dish, is the HD content. If only, Fios would have the amount Dish has, it would be more popular to me.

Last edited:
I have both, Right now my dish account is on pause. On Oct 2nd i will receive the HD exteme ch update 98 HD ch. Blows everybody else out of the water. right now i pay 47.99 plus 16.99 hd dvr and 2 hd boxes @9.99 each my monthly bill is $94.00 just for TV. Fios also has alot more SD ch. such as American life and other The packages are alot less confusing then Dish if you have HD boxes you get all of the HD ch. they have. I am sure my price will go up soon in New York they charge $57.99 for the extreme package.

Quick Summary FIOS great ch selection especially when you get the HD upgrade.
The STBs leave alot to be desired small hard drives no pip and no second TV support unless you have the image 1.6 that has now stopped rolling out.

Try putting your Dish account on pause and give them a try.

I've been thinking about switching myself. As for the DVR problems, Motorola is the company who makes it. They use the same equipment and models, major cable companies use as well. ( I know because I had it ) What gets my attention, is the multi-room connected DVR programming. My current bill with Dish is $225 a month and begining to annoy me. Dish still hasn't made good on advertised "promises" and waiting three years for them to add my local channel market to the line up. Tired of paying four times the amount I was with Mediacom Cable and viewing news from Philly when I live in Southern Delaware. If it wasn't for newspapers, I would be completely lost with whats going on around me. The one very big thing keeping me with Dish, is the HD content. If only, Fios would have the amount Dish has, it would be more popular to me.

Verizon's moto boxes are slightly different than most cable companies in at least one major way: verizon's boxes have MoCA, and video on demand is actually IPTV, and uses internet bandwidth instead of QAM bandwidth.

Originally, the boxes had microsoft software, the new software was done in house (which is probably why the roll out did not go well at all).

I really liked how simple the whole set up was. one price gets you 210+ channels in SD, all digital, and renting an HD reciever gets you all the HD programming you're paying for, now 95 channels apparently. and none of it is down graded, it's all full bandwidth. the small hard drive on the DVR was the biggest shortcoming of the whole system, near as I could tell.

it's funny, U-verse struggles to provide two HD streams at a time to a house, with FiOS we could watch two IPTV streams in HD (~36 mbps) and have no affect on our 15 mbps internet connection.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts