Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter Parker

Formerly Geronimo
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 9, 2003
I saw that a new beta was out and was curious. I was turned off though by the prospect of having my extensions and themes incompatible. Then i found some links that help with this.

First realize taht the tools menu no longer shows themes and extensions separately. they are now both called add-ons. When you click on add-ons you will see tabs for both of themes and extensions.

Second I found this site that gives directions on how to use an extension called the Nighty Testing tools Extension. The directions work but the link inside does not. http://www.notjustcricket.com/2006/0...ll_your_ex.htm

To get things working download and install the beta. it can be found here http://www.mozilla.org/projects/bonecho/all-beta.html.

Then download and install the extension form this site http://users.blueprintit.co.uk/~dave...did/index.html.

It willl ask you to restart firefox and when you do take a look at the directions from the first site http://www.notjustcricket.com/2006/0...ll_your_ex.htm

After you follow it for themes and extensions restart Firefox again and you will be running all (or mostly all) of your old themes and extensions.

Can you please redo that 1st link. it does not work. If I already use NightlyTester am I ready to go with just the update to FF B2?

Thanks G it didn't install like the old version of NTT just like you said, but it does work perfectly.

The FF2 DOES NOT install over or interfere with any current FF install.

It does migrate your saved passwords, options, cookies, etc.

If you use Windows XP, remember to setup FF to run in Windows 2000 compatibility mode.

It has a built-in highlighting, spell check feature (like word). It works inside these SatGuys text boxes without having to do a separate spell check.

So far the FF2 works with all my 128-bit secure banking and cc sites and/or everything that people list as troublesome. However, just like IE, I HATE that the "GO" button is now locked into place. The 1.x version of FF allowed it to be customized anywhere. BRING THAT BACK!

There will be a few plug-ins you might have to reinstall; one such will be Shockwave, which I included here.

Attachments

• Shockwave_Installer_Slim.zip
    2.4 MB · Views: 170
Last edited:
OK edit/addition:

After full testing for the last 30 mins, I totally uninstalled FF1.5, removed all associated folders and then did a registry cleanup so any other traces would also be gone, and the FF2 b2 is still performing perfectly.

Madtown HD Junkie said:
what is different and how does it work?

I am not sure what you are asking. This is the beta of the next Firefox release. Unfortunately it breasks tyour themes and extensions and I provided a way to fix it. Charper said my links did not work (they fdo for me) and provided others.

You will still have your existing install. Again as charper points out some need to reinstall shockwwve) I did on one PC and not another) so you may have a problem or teo to work out but if we share info we should be able to help one another.

Attachments

• DMA.jpg
    DMA.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 154
Last edited:
i don't know what to say. they work for me. But you also provided other links so I would say use whatever works.

If you have reservations thanks to past experiences, although I have still found NOTHING wrong with this beta; it is after all a beta and you might feel more comfortable staying with the stability of v1.5x until the v2 final is released. So far with my use, it appears that most of the "upgrade" must be behind the scenes, as I have not yet noticed any night & day changes other than losing the ability to move the GO button in custom mode and adding the the built-in spell check on the fly (like word has). So I love one and hate the other.

it looks like I created my own problem. I inadvertently launched the earlier versiona nd then tried to shut it down. When i launched either version after that my scroll bars were gone.

I finally reinstalled the beta then launched the old (yes the old version) let it convert correctly and finally relaunched the beta and all was well.

I prefer the Apollo theme. but the variety is nice.

Well Rc1 for 2.0 is now out. It breaksa lot of extensions and themes---and the nightly tester tool will not fix them all---but it is there for the brave of heart.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)