Firmware Upgrade for Fortec Lifetime Classic NA - Why?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

iafirebuff

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 10, 2006
Waterloo, Iowa
With all this firmware talk, I was just curious, why would I want the latest firmware for my Fortec receiver? Everything seems to work just fine. Does it add any new features? My firmware is July of 05. Thanks for any advice :)

Best bet would be try to find release notes for the newer version and see what it fixes. In other words, if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Most of the firmwares out there, especially those not from the manufacturer's official website, are modified for illegal purposes. You don't want those.

I thought the same thing - if it aint broke dont fix it :) I was looking at Fortec's website but they don't mention what the software updates.

I have to agree with Pepper. I havent updated the software on any of my STB's, tho I would in a heartbeat if pansat ever released a version to fix the worthless clock on the 2700's.

If it is from the OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) such as Fortec, they may have fixed a series of bugs and bundled them in a release(normal behavior in the SW world). Many companies do not have a habit of releasing "release notes" which is crucial in the case of business critical SW applications and nobody even touches anything before they know exactly what has been done and whether or not there are any known issues. But in the world of FTA, I have been surprised and disappointed many times ;(

I just upgraded to the firmware from Feb 06 from the Fortec site. Didnt see anything different from my standpoint.

Drawback is you do lose your channels and have to rescan

I didnt upgrade the software in my Pansat 1500 for almost 18 months. Only thing it did was cut down on the "spaz" on the spazzmastic meter (the meters on the Pansats go from 70 to 40 to 70 to 50 etc constantly)

The FOrtec I did because I had a whole bunch of scanning on there from just playing with it and we'll start from scratch :)

iafirebuff said:
I thought the same thing - if it aint broke dont fix it :) I was looking at Fortec's website but they don't mention what the software updates.

I've already tried emailing them multiple times and never got a response back. The way I look at it is that they had to have released the upgrade for some reason (no matter how trivial it may be), I'd just like to know what it is!!!

Iceberg said:
I didnt upgrade the software in my Pansat 1500 for almost 18 months. Only thing it did was cut down on the "spaz" on the spazzmastic meter (the meters on the Pansats go from 70 to 40 to 70 to 50 etc constantly)

I'm still running original firmware on my 2500A. It suffers from the spaz too. Once in a while the quality jumps from 0 to 99.

And IA5 & IA6 are still Telstar... Not a big deal. A little edit fixed that.

I guess the biggest reason to update is to have all of the newer sats & transponders already in so you don't have to point and blind scan.

Iceberg said:
I just upgraded to the firmware from Feb 06 from the Fortec site. Didnt see anything different from my standpoint.

Drawback is you do lose your channels and have to rescan
Too bad!!!!
And here I was getting excited that they may have changed it so I could travel through the various sats and channels and not jerk my motor around until I pressed "OK." This feature is okay for/if setting up a Fav list, but really sucks otherwise.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts