First Look: Dish 942 HD/SD Receiver (Updated 1/24/05)

Status
Please reply by conversation.
The connections include a Antenna / Cable In Port, an stereo agile tuner output as well as composite video and audio outputs for tuner 2.

The Tuner 1 outputs include component Y/Pr/Pb outputs, analog audio, Digital Audio output and a DVI output.

The unit also has 2 Satellite Inputs which are DishPro plus compatable, a USB 2.0 port and a phone jack.

The big problem I have with the 942 is that the unit only has one over the air tuner. This means both TV's can not watch seperate over the air broadcasts at the same time, if someone tries to watch the Over the Air tuner and its in use they will get an error message telling them the tuner is in use.

It is sure disappointing that this unit won't have two OTA tuners, but I can live with that. What disappoint me the most is the lack of a S-Video output and a HDMI output. HDTVs are now coming with HDMI inputs, not DVI, what's the point in staying behind?

Other than that, I can't wait this unit gets out. I am too optimistic in thinking they could change their mind and easily come with an HDMI output instead of the DVI one without delaying the unit? Just need to change a chip or something!?!?

It would also be great if this unit could come in choice of black or silver! :) I'll choose black any day!

kApOO

OK, but your TV also has an OTA turner right?

I've been reading all the criticisms of the lack of a 2nd OTA tuner in this thread. While I agree to some extent, it isn't quite the handicap you guys are making it out to be. The great majority of HD sets have built-in OTA tuners and there's no reason why you can't use your set's OTA tuner as a 2nd tuner to watch OTA broadcasts while you record something else using the 942s OTA tuner. Maybe you'll need to use a 2nd remote, and make sure you have an antenna wire going to the set itself but it should be quite possible.

Am I missing something?

Yes, most sets don't have built in OTA tuners. They (new sets being sold) will in the near future but most sets built to this point in time are only HD ready (i.e. no digital OTA tuner).

Bob

texasdiver said:
The great majority of HD sets have built-in OTA tuners and there's no reason why you can't use your set's OTA tuner as a 2nd tuner to watch OTA broadcasts while you record something else using the 942s OTA tuner. Maybe you'll need to use a 2nd remote, and make sure you have an antenna wire going to the set itself but it should be quite possible.

Am I missing something?
I guess what you are missing is the fact that the majority of HD TVs tuners are NOT High Definition. Only a very few have an HD tuner built-in but we can expect that to eventually change. The change will be slow and start with the smaller TVs first.
For people wanting to watch Standard Def TV while recording something else, then your point is valid but most here are more interested in recording and watching HD at the same time. (This is a discussion about the new HD box coming sometime ((soon)) from Dish.)

This is one of those things that goes to show how HD still has a ways to go before becoming mainstream and the cost of the tuners and tv's still has a ways to go before it becomes standard with the tv's and receivers.

Technically, it's not a "High Definition" tuner, it's better to refer to it as an ATSC tuner (8VSB for Off-The-Air, QAM for cable), since you can have Digital Television without High Definition (i.e., Fox, for now, and a lot of indepedent stations). Fortunately, true HDTVs are here and are increasing in number.

It's funny, back when I was waiting for the 921, I decided that the way to correct for its lack of two ATSC tuners was to buy an HDTV (Mitsubishi WS-55613) so I could watch and record two different HD programs. So, with the 942, I'm not going to have too many ATSC tuners...

Stargazer said:
This is one of those things that goes to show how HD still has a ways to go before becoming mainstream and the cost of the tuners and tv's still has a ways to go before it becomes standard with the tv's and receivers.

I think we are almost there. I was in Walmart the other day and they had at least 6 HDTV's. 3 Tube sets between 30 & 34 inches between $600 and $750.
A 52" RCA RPTV for $1252. A 55 inch Pioneer RPTV for $1500. A 42" EDTV for $2495 and a 42 inch HDTV for $3495. Both Plasma. AND they were well displayed.

I have seen a little more availability in the cheaper HD tv's (smaller tv's) which is needed in order to have HD become more mainstream. Once HD becomes available in all the sizes for close (or maybe somewhat higher than the SD tv's) then many would end up choosing the HD tv's to be ready for the future. There are still a number of people waiting for the prices to drop because they do not see putting that much money into a tv.

sgtjim said:
I think we are almost there. I was in Walmart the other day and they had at least 6 HDTV's. 3 Tube sets between 30 & 34 inches between $600 and $750.
A 52" RCA RPTV for $1252. A 55 inch Pioneer RPTV for $1500. A 42" EDTV for $2495 and a 42 inch HDTV for $3495. Both Plasma. AND they were well displayed.

Yes, but were these true HDTV sets or HD-Ready televisions? My guess is that at the $600-$750 price point, they would need a STB for the reception of HD broadcasts.

HD still has a fair way to go.

Regards,
Spence

SpenceJT said:
Yes, but were these true HDTV sets or HD-Ready televisions? My guess is that at the $600-$750 price point, they would need a STB for the reception of HD broadcasts.

HD still has a fair way to go.

Regards,
Spence

Thay were all HD-Ready but if one has cable with HD capability a settop box can be had for $5 a month in some areas. Now if someone has to depend on OTA then an additional $4-700 outlay for a settop box can be steep. However the requirement that sets have HD tuners in the near future will reduce that cost.

Jim

Foxbat said:

It's funny, back when I was waiting for the 921, I decided that the way to correct for its lack of two ATSC tuners was to buy an HDTV (Mitsubishi WS-55613) so I could watch and record two different HD programs. So, with the 942, I'm not going to have too many ATSC tuners...

I no longer watch anything "live." I have come to so value the DVR funtionality, that if I want to watch anything "live" at say 9:00 PM I will tune the show in and go out and walk the dogs so as to come back at say 10 minutes after and start viewing the show 10 minutes delayed and catching up over the following 50 minutes or so hour by zapping thru commercials.

Additionally, I frequently wish to watch and/or record simultaneously two HD network shows. The lack of TWO OTA digital tuners in the DVR would be a deal breaker for me. I would not be content to record one and be forced to view the other in real time over the TV's tuner.

Jerry
PS I guess I do watch the newscasts in real time.

The first thing they need to do is add more HD channels, so there will actually be two HD shows on at the same time that I want to record...

:)

Please Dish Net, put the latest and best video connectors on this contraption. HMDI (so it has video and Audio in one cable) Put a couple of them on it.

Just an update...

It appears the 942 has ben delayed until AT LEAST Q1 2005. I am also told that the 942 will be Displayed at CES in January.

Scott Greczkowski said:
Just an update...

It appears the 942 has ben delayed until AT LEAST Q1 2005. I am also told that the 942 will be Displayed at CES in January.
Scott how about posting this as a separate sticky. It is too important to lose it as a reply on the 4th page of a thread. :)

Ok folks here is an update on the 942.

Dish showed the 942 last week to dealers at its Peak convention in Arizona. From what I am told not much has changed since I origionally saw it in May til now. I am also being told that the released has been pushed back til at least Q1 of 2005.

Dish did update the sign which told the features of the 942. The updated sign is shown below (We thank the folks from Pegasus Satellite & Electronics for the photo)

Notice still no HDMI. You would think that they would add it now before it goes into production.

Dish Network WILL be showing the 942 at the CES show in Vegas this January, SatelliteGuys will be in Vegas to bring you full details.

Attachments

• 942_updated.jpg
    942_updated.jpg
    181.7 KB · Views: 420
Status
Please reply by conversation.