Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
Only SatelliteGuys.US was on hand at Team Summit 2004 to give you a first look at Dish Networks latest concept "Dish Video on Demand"

vodsign.jpg

Dish Video on Demand will only be available on Dish Network DVR's since the videos are stored on your DVR's hard drive. The Dish VOD does not use up any space from your recording time on the DVR, instead it records into special space where Dish has reserved space on the hard drive. (all Dish DVR's have had this special reserve space)

dish_vod1.jpg

Movies sent via VOD will be sent when your unit is off and at night, and will be transmitted in real time (meaning it take 2 hours to download a 2 hour movie) When you wake up you will find new movies available for viewing from the VOD menu.

vod.jpg

You select your movie from the VOD categories listed above, you then get a list of VOD features available for that category.

vod2.jpg

If you see a movie you like you can find out more information about it. As shown above.

You then select the movie you want and a menu will pop up asking you how long you would like to rent the movie for (as shown below.)

vod4.jpg

After you have purchased the movie you can now watch it, Dish has done a good job in making viewing the movie like watching a DVD, including breaking down the movie into selectable chapters

vod3.jpg

Once on have started your movie you can watch it with complete DVR controls including pause rewind, etc.

If Dish does introduce this concept lets hope that they remove some of the Pay Per View Channels from their lineup and give us new additional channels in their place such as High Definition or other common channels Dish does not carry such as Oxygen, PBS Kids, Trio and Goodlife. (But please no shopping channels)

The nice part about video on demand is you can watch on your schedule, the bad part about it is you can't record it for future watching like you can do on Pay Per View. Because the video is transmitted when you are not using the unit it may take awhile for a lot of content to download to the units.

While this software is nice, I could do without it, however Video on Demand is hot in the cable world, and while Dish tries to emulate the cable Video on Demand service, it will fall short because of limited space and lack of content.

And there you have it another SatelliteGuys First Look!

You know they talk about this special reserved space on the receiver's drive but when I deleted the last recording they sent us the available recording time on my 508 went up. Hmmm?

NightRyder

I don't get it. I can setup a DVR for a PPV and have it "forever" for the one day charge for VOD. It's just a gimmick.

Dish needs to differentiate itself from cable, not imitate it. Give me the WHOLE HD for DVR events.

NightRyder said:
You know they talk about this special reserved space on the receiver's drive but when I deleted the last recording they sent us the available recording time on my 508 went up. Hmmm?

NightRyder
They forgot to send that video to the reserved are. :) (Thats what I was told)

Scott Greczkowski said:
They forgot to send that video to the reserved are. :) (Thats what I was told)

Dish goofed again, Suprise :rolleyes:

Scott: Are we going to be given a choice as to whether we have to accept these VOD download's?

NightRyder

gpflepsen said:
I don't get it. I can setup a DVR for a PPV and have it "forever" for the one day charge for VOD. It's just a gimmick.

Dish needs to differentiate itself from cable, not imitate it. Give me the WHOLE HD for DVR events.

That's an excellent point, I hadn't thought about it that way. I wonder if there will be an incentive to buy PPV through VOD as opposed to the traditional way? If they released VOD titles concurrently with the DVD release that might be a good selling point.

I personally doubt that they will reduce the total number of PPV channels due to the relatively small number of subs that have DVRs versus those that don't. I don't think they will give up the potential revenue from non-DVR subs so easily. What we "might" see is some of those dedicated PPV channels be "off-air" in the wee hours of the morning to accomplish the VOD downloads. What I want to know is how are they going to predetermine what kind of movies I would be willing to pay for then download them to my DVR? Are they somehow tracking our PPV purchases and entering that info in a database that will tell my DVR which movies to record? If so I should expect to see alot of "chick-flicks" on mine since my wife is the only one who does PPV in our house.

NightRyder said:
Scott: Are we going to be given a choice as to whether we have to accept these VOD download's?
I do not believe so. From the feeling I got from Dish, the space is theirs and they will load it up with that they want.

Scott Greczkowski said:
I do not believe so. From the feeling I got from Dish, the space is theirs and they will load it up with that they want.

Thanks Scott!

So they claim to own part of the drive in a receiver I paid for? That's just wrong! !protest

NightRyder

gpflepsen said:

I agree, the only advantage to this that I can see is that PPV does not have all movies available ALL the time. Example here is that you wanted to DVR Lara Croft, but got distracted and forgot to set the timer and didn't realize until the next day. As it is now, on PPV, it might not be replayed again for another week. With VOD, you can get it anytime it is on the menu.

Not much of an advantage, but a teeny bit. I personally don't like having to pay more to keep it available for a couple of extra days. With 3 small kids, 24 hrs goes by rapidly. Personally, I can't see EVER see buying a VOD like this. Netflix is way more user friendly!

I have to say that I'm impressed, but cable still has the REAL VOD. I would love to have something like MagRack on Dish or the upcoming WWE VOD. That would be awesome. Unfortunately, I know that would be nearly impossible with satellite.

Perhaps in the future, if Dish could offer their own type of Netflix in this way, or over a really high internet connection (when it eventually comes around to most people) then they could offer it for a monthly fee.

Will the VOD movies be listed seperately from the DVR Events we have chosen to record for us?

How many tuners will Dish equip the VOD DVRs with? Say I'm already recording shows at night (skinemax:)) and the receiver needs to free up another tuner to DL the VOD products. Will I have to have 2+1 tuners to keep MY two tuner DVR? Will I have to start running three lines to each DVR?

When it comes to watching a VOD event, can I swap it over to my list of DVR events? That would be like DVRing a PPV.

Good question. I am sure we do not want to keep getting interrupted when Best of Dish or Video on Demand timers want to fire upon us. They will have to implement it to where the receiver will have to be turned off if an event is to fire in order to prevent that and still, if we turn the receiver on, then we are going to have the event already recording in some cases. Some people watch tv at night more than in the day, so why should they have to suffer through this? This seems like a nightmare to me unless they want to replace everyone's DVR's with a 3 or 4 tuner one in which I do NOT see them doing.

This whole VOD thing is a waste of Dish resources that could be better applied in any number of other areas. Since only customers with DVR's will be able to use VOD, what benefit does it provide that we do not already have by DVRing a PPV movie?
There are already too many PPV channels, as well as only so much hdd space. We do not need more precious bandwidth stolen for this VOD scheme, nor less available hdd space. It's pretty simple really.

I wonder why we could not compress the data to allow for more storage on the hard drive? Is that even possible? I know the picture quality would drop in doing so.

First Look: The Best of Dish

522 Losing channel info

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)