First Look - Dish Whole House HD/SD Solution?

Everyone is making this box sound like it's doing some fancy complicated thing. The way I read the information in the first post all it is is a bunch of satellite tuners connected to a bunch of ATSC modulators. The video data is in MPEG2 in both cases, and is essentially identical in capabilities. If you throw some HD's in between the tuners and the modulators, you've got DVR capabilities.
It doesn't even need MPEG2 decoders which is a non-trivial cost of every receiver.
For guide and other information display, it probably does need some MPEG2 encoders, with perhaps a way to overlay for the "guide + picture" and "transparency" type effects, which might require an MPEG2 decoder per output channel if they can't find a clever way to do it.

If you need to it would be possible to make tuners that will silently convert MPEG4 into MPEG2 before passing it on, essentially making it a solution to the "MPEG4 problem". However, such tuners would be much more expensive than the normal ones. Probably about the cost of a basic MPEG4 receiver.

Being that ATSC can be tuned by any number of available stand alone tuners (including the 811/921/942), including those built in to many (but not all) HDTVs, this means fewer E* warrentied receivers to have around. Also if your tuner has component output (all do), then you get component output. If your tuner has digital audio output (all do, even those I've seen built into TVs) then you get digital audio output. It's all already in the MPEG2 stream, the box doesn't need to do anything with it, just pass it along.
It also means simpler wiring for the installation, as each TV has access to all the tuner with only a single run of even RG59, and standard old 900MHz bandwidth RF splitters. Meaning that the vast majority houses would not need to be rewired at all past installing the box and hooking it's output to where the cableTV used to come in. Think cable company in a box (which is exactly why they call it a "head end").

Now ATSC modulated MPEG2 has no encryption, and can be easily recorded by any number of available devices. Would the MPAA be happy about that? They'd probably throw their usual hissy fit. Can the MPAA do anything about it in a legal sense? No, not unless they (or the content providers) have a contract with either E* or the networks E* carries.
E* could avoid that by using some modulation (other than standard ATSC) which is also encrypted. However, that means you also need a special E* tuner at each TV. Not very much better than just having a receiver at each TV. This only makes sense for the centralized DVR capability, and ease of installation.
I guess they could also use the ATSC "broadcast flag" abomination, which should satisfy the MPAA, because that's all the your local OTA stations will have to "protect" their content once it goes into effect.

Personally, if this thing works, and is reasonably priced, I'd be all over it. Especially if the DVR capability allows expansion. Given that they wouldn't have the same space constraints as a set top box, I could easily imagine having 4 or more spaces for harddrives, which the user could upgrade (at their own own risk and cost). Of course they'd probably want to sell those a Dish branded HD's, and charge more for them, but it's still better than the situation we're in now.

Of course I share the concerns expressed by others that this will not see the light of day until it's basically obsolete for one reason or another. But hey, stranger things have happened, and at least now we have something to talk about for awhile.

-- Dave

GUYS - Go back and READ the text in Scott's original posted picture, would ya please!

It's standard RF output (ATSC/NTSC) on a standard cable. No STBs.

Look at the top-right - a simple diplexer/combiner type device JUST to extend the pickup zones of the UHF remotes. HOWEVER, the label on said device says "To satellite receiver in" - which contradicts the text at the bottom.

Finally, I do NOT see the need for a DPPlus LNBF in this application. There's NO way the known functionality of the DPP-Twin could be used to supply a 3rd bird to the DP-777, so that's no reason, and standard DishPro puts EVERY transponder from 110/119 onto the two cables shown, so it can drive 2 inputs of any kind of DP switch.

My point is, it's gotta be a DRAFT drawing, but the TEXT is likely to be what's intended.

Finally they are starting to smarten up and listen to some of our comments including some of mine. Its good when you can replace a tuner instead of the whole receiver. Hopefully they will have other components replaceable as well in this unit such as memory and hard drive (perhaps hard drive will be seperate from the actual unit just like the multi-port splitter is) and that they could have all of these items snap/screw together inside a single box kind of like building a computer and hooking all of the components together. This will really help them make sure that all receivers are at the same location since all one has to do is add another tuner to the headend if another television is needed to be run off of this. Also where is the phone in connection? At least only one would be needed and perhaps no additional outlet fees would be another benefit which would be a huge advantage over cable. It would also need the card slot in case it got compromised by hackers in the future.

Essentually its just a receiver as you see today with multiple tuners inside of it in a different casing more in the way of what a switch looks like.

noremac said:
Oh. In that case, the 777 is not using a spec ATSC modulator. Instead, it sounds like some flavor of encrypted compressed digital video. In which case the small "controller" boxes are acting like digital cable tuner boxes. Other than a centralized DVR function, I'm not sure how attractive that is vs. having individual IRDs at each set.

An HDTV-ready set would need a breakout box while an integrated HDTV set would not, based on the info Scott has provided.

All of those tuners? in one box? Think of the cost. Think of the heat problem. And then hang it outside on a wall? It will cost thousands and they are gonna stick it out in the rain? Youll need an armed guard and 3 dobermans to protect it. Ergen really is an idiot. When it breaks every TV in the house will go dark. You'll need a technician to come out and work on it. Geez just manufacture a real 2 OTA tuner HD DVR and a real mpeg4 box and get on with it. Ergen cant get the easy stuff right and now hes shooting at some pie in the sky solution?

SimpleSimon said:
GUYS - Go back and READ the text in Scott's original posted picture, would ya please!

It's standard RF output (ATSC/NTSC) on a standard cable. No STBs.
That would be great, and that's how I would like to have it. But you can't encrypt ATSC. The whole purpose of HDMI etc. is to prevent any such thing (unencryped digital signals) from coming about in consumer products. The MPAA and their congressional henchmen aren't going to allow it. For crying out loud, they're scared of recordable analog outputs!

Scott Greczkowski said:
I am receiving bits and pieces of info about this box.

If I am putting the pieces together correctly of the info I am getting it appears there will be a small controler box on each TV which can output the Video in High Definition complete with Dolby Digital output, these boxes will offer HDMI and component outputs. There is also another box for those who want to hook up in a home theater and will offer svideo and digital audio outputs.

:)

Simon,

Scott mentions an STB (controller) in another post .

Also, you guys are missing the point . Charley didn't dream this up on his own (as usual) . This is the next step in home media distrbution and every media delivery company will offer such a system in the near future .

Many of us are already doing this (see my setup). Good terms to plug into google would be "video distribution tutorial modulator" (no quotes). The first hit that comes up at the moment isn't bad:

http://www.hometech.com/learn/video1.html

This unit just appears to be a way to simplify all of the equipment needed, and the connections between them to achieve the same net result as a do-it-yourself mini-headend.

How do you handle the HD picture and digital sound? Coax won't work, right? How would we distribute the HD signal to our TVs (would there be component or DVI connections?) and how would we distribute the DD5.1 audio feed to our receivers (TOSLink or Digital Coax (I hate that term, it confuses the heck out of people... they think it is the same thing on the back of their cheap TVs)

Bob, that's what ATSC modulation does. Coax works well, for instance it carries local digital stations' broadcast ATSC signals from your antenna to a standard digital receiver STB (or built-in ATSC tuner if your TV has it). A local ATSC modulator effectively just takes the place of the station and the antenna. :)

In the case of the built-in tuner on the TV, you of course have the digital picture (and HD when... it's in HD). In the case of the STB, you will get the digital picture, and the digital audio output for DD2.0/DD5.1. Some TVs with built-in ATSC tuners might also provide digital audio output.

A dish guy I talked to said the next big thing from dish would be wireless- like a wireless multiswitch (still lines from the dish(s) to the switch). But when I asked him about the mesh superdish he hadn't heard about it.

It sounds like this system (if it works as described) could extend the useful lifespan of those MPEG-2 receivers. The MPEG-4 capabilities could be in the "server" unit, which would distribute the signal throughout the home in plain old ATSC or perhaps in encrypted QAM if all of the units can be upgraded to support it. Perhaps a 921 may still be worth something next year after all! :)

dlsnyder said:
It sounds like this system (if it works as described) could extend the useful lifespan of those MPEG-2 receivers. The MPEG-4 capabilities could be in the "server" unit, which would distribute the signal throughout the home in plain old ATSC or perhaps in encrypted QAM if all of the units can be upgraded to support it. Perhaps a 921 may still be worth something next year after all! :)

Yeah, but then we'd have to subscribe to E* locals to get guide info for ANY channels! ;) ;) ;)

Seriously, the ATSC modulation question will need to be answered before this can go forward. After all, the recording issue is one reason why the 5000 with ATSC modulator was discontinued (8PSK is the other).

Brad

Scott, can you comment on whether they think any of this whole house networking technology is the result of some agreement/exchange with Voom/Dolan? The portent of its functionality and particularly the assertion that perhaps they might be adopting the central DVR and coaxial distribution system model is a bit familiar. Have they asserted that the technology comes from/will come from in-house or otherwise...i.e. Ucentric?

shanewalker said:
Scott, can you comment on whether they think any of this whole house networking technology is the result of some agreement/exchange with Voom/Dolan? The portent of its functionality and particularly the assertion that perhaps they might be adopting the central DVR and coaxial distribution system model is a bit familiar. Have they asserted that the technology comes from/will come from in-house or otherwise...i.e. Ucentric?

I don't believe that this is a set top box that you would place in one room and then connect to others. But what makes this a novel idea is basically it 'replaces' both your switch and STB.

You would plug the SAT inputs directly into this unit and then it would output it to as many as 6 different rooms. It is very similar to how the currnet *22 or *42 recevers on the 2nd TV. There would be no STB with the exception of on HD box for increased functionality (ie DVI, HDMI).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)