This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Flipping to a certain channel on one Joey causes entire system to restart.

Eldar45

Original poster
Oct 15, 2020
Corinth MS
My mother's Joey has had an issue for several months that when she passes by certain channels in the 290-310 range (I'm not sure exactly which channel) that the entire Dish Network network in the house goes down. This only happens on her Joey. The Hopper does a system check when it comes back on and then takes a long time to reboot.

As far as I am aware there aren't any error codes that have come up. I'm not sure what to do beyond unplugging the Joey for 30 seconds, but that trick doesn't work for this. Haven't called Dish support yet because I've had enough of dealing with those people to last a lifetime.

Any ideas or should I get a replacement Joey?

Having some similar issues I am talking to Dish about currently. If I have any changes in mine, I’ll let you know. Although I feel it is related to the Joey software, their initial solution is replacing the Joey.

I only have a Joey 3, and it isn’t a specific channel for me. It is specific to VOD when ordering and attempting playback, and I have been trying to diagnose if it is while it is downloading, or not.

The Joeys (of all persuasions) are merely clients to the Hopper (server) so it may still be a problem on the Hopper, but replacing the Joey would be my first step.

Be sure the tech thoroughly tests the new Joey before he leaves in the case that it is a Hopper problem.

I just received word back that what I describe was identical to an issue that was happening in house, and that there should be a software update that may fix in the near future. They changed tunes when I sent a video, agreeing that the issue is likely software, not hardware so take that for what it’s worth.

Reactions: charlesrshell