For those using Ethernet connection for internet on H3

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

D. Manley

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 18, 2012
United States
Connected my H3 with Ethernet (100bps) to 1 USB port & looped out of the other port to another device. Speed on the H3 is exactly where it should be but on the secondary devices there's a 60% plus drop. Anyone else see this & does it matter which port is used for IN/OUT (thing is in cabinet & a bear to access)? My WiFi connection on secondary device beats the Ethernet connection from HE handily but would prefer wired if the speed is there.

That’s not the way I connect. A single cable goes to that location from my main router (100’ away). Then at the H3 location is another basic router which that single cable is connected to. From that router other cables go to my Appletv, HT Receiver, Blu-ray and H3. Almost never get any stutters. But I will do a Speedcheck both at the base router and the Appletv and report tomorrow.

That’s not the way I connect. A single cable goes to that location from my main router (100’ away). Then at the H3 location is another basic router which that single cable is connected to. From that router other cables go to my Appletv, HT Receiver, Blu-ray and H3. Almost never get any stutters. But I will do a Speedcheck both at the base router and the Appletv and report tomorrow.

I believe you mean the cable goes from your router to a switch and then the hopper 3, Apple TV etc. You can only have 1 router per subnet or you’ll get a lot of conflicts, unless you just use the switch part of the router and turn off all the “routing”.

For the OP, I think this is the best way though.. use a switch where the hopper is. I didn’t even know the hopper can pass through a connection like that. Since it’s 100 mb/s, you wouldn’t even need a gigabit switch, but would anyways to make your network future proof. It’ll probably cost 10-15 bucks for a 5 port switch on amazon. Plug the wire from the router to the switch and then plug in the hopper etc into the switch and presto.. that’s what I do as well since I have multiple things that need connectivity at that location.

I should do that, because I don't need 1Gb/s speed for my TV or the Hopper. I can mount just a 100 Mb/s router behind the living room TV. I already have Ethernet in my bedroom, since the local Fiber Optic company here decided my bedroom would be the only place they would install their modem.....

I believe you mean the cable goes from your router to a switch and then the hopper 3, Apple TV etc. You can only have 1 router per subnet or you’ll get a lot of conflicts, unless you just use the switch part of the router and turn off all the “routing”.

Ooops, late night posting. Yes, it's a switch where the H3 and other equipment is. Did a Speed Check this morning. 165 at the router via wifi (a foot away) and 92 at the AppleTV. So, some loss, but it starts so high, it's OK.

Reactions: dolfan3033

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts