For those who would like to Track AMC14

Looks like it's time to say goodbye to AMC-14:
"The AMC-14 orbit altitude was insufficient for transferring the satellite to the working orbit by using its own engines, representatives of SES AmeriCom that owns AMC-14 announced yesterday. The satellite is deemed lost and insurers will cover manufacturing and launching expenses of $200 million."

"The AMC-14 orbit altitude was insufficient for transferring the satellite to the working orbit by using its own engines, representatives of SES AmeriCom that owns AMC-14 announced yesterday. The satellite is deemed lost and insurers will cover manufacturing and launching expenses of $200 million."

Source please. :)

What's the source for this? This was being talked about yesterday, but nobody could show an official announcement by SES.

Where did you find this? I couldn't find anything new on SES AmeriCom's website newer than Monday's confirmation of the anomaly.

It is the same one that was started in the pub yesterday. I would have brought it in here but did not think it would have been the right thing for the public forum.

Scott did not believe what was in this article.

Yea this is psmith trying to stir the pot.. We have allready choked this up to be bogus. Psmith, come back with the sources where ses americom said that the satellite would be a total loss as stated in the article. There is no need to post this in mutlitple places when its allready being talked about in another thread!

Yea this is psmith trying to stir the pot.. We have allready choked this up to be bogus. Psmith, come back with the sources where ses americom said that the satellite would be a total loss as stated in the article. There is no need to post this in mutlitple places when its allready being talked about in another thread!

LOL. Bob. Do you feel like you are chasing one of your kids (psmith) and having to pick up after him?

In that article more info then in the whole thread. :D
Just stirring the course in right direction, since original [skipper] fell asleep. ;)

i also read in another post that 'this was verified as bogus'. hopefully that is the case. my gut tells me they will try to save it.

Other post have much less info in hands, so who knows what is bogus.

That article stated by "SES representatives", you goalie are twisting to official level statement. The source could be in the FROB, BTW.

Man, this sucks. I'm just now upgrading to the vip722 (next week), I haven't had an HD DVR ever and my current receiver only gets about 7 or 8 channels in HD. I'm from the stone age. I'm still psyched, and all I want Dish to add to the top of the line HD channel lineup is Sci-Fi and USA, maybe ESPN News too, but I'm a little worried about how they will do it.

Any chance E* will compensate for the lack of bandwidth by compressing the existing HD channel signals to add more HD channels? I would hate that. I've been a Dish Network subscriber since 1998 or so. I remember how great the SD channels looked when I first got it before they added more SD channels. Once they started adding channels the PQ went down. Suddenly video of shimmering water was all blocky.

--thanks

Man, this sucks. I'm just now upgrading to the vip722 (next week), I haven't had an HD DVR ever and my current receiver only gets about 7 or 8 channels in HD. I'm from the stone age. I'm still psyched, and all I want Dish to add to the top of the line HD channel lineup is Sci-Fi and USA, maybe ESPN News too, but I'm a little worried about how they will do it.

Any chance E* will compensate for the lack of bandwidth by compressing the existing HD channel signals to add more HD channels? I would hate that. I've been a Dish Network subscriber since 1998 or so. I remember how great the SD channels looked when I first got it before they added more SD channels. Once they started adding channels the PQ went down. Suddenly video of shimmering water was all blocky.

--thanks

Empire state you have nothing to worry about as dish has said their plans are going forward with or without amc14. Its looking more and more that AMC14 will be apart of those plans. Those plans include USAHD and SCIFIHD. The quality is suppost to be at the same quality now if not better.

Do you guys really believe AMC 14 will function? I'm not as knowledgeable about this as you are, but common sense says a satellite that fails to reach the desired orbit is lost. I've read the threads saying it is still viable, but I'm a skeptic.

Will AMC 14 function on a limited basis? What percent of functionality do you expect and for how long?
- Curious, thanks