Force Unleashed

MattJ2124

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 21, 2005
Ohio
What about this Force Unleashed???? I played the demo and it seemed to be pretty solid, and I thought the visuals were awesome. But I am seeing that the game is getting tanked by the reviews......X-play gave it a 2 out of 5 this evening basically calling it terrible. Anybody playing this first hand, hate to spend sixty bucks on a piece of crap even though it is Star Wars.....

I bought it, but haven't played it yet. I will let you know what I think after I play it.

The main issued to be with the controls, which after playing the demo I can say seemed rather problematic. I have my copy on the way from Gamefly (from California, and I live in CT.. so hopefully it'll arrive before the election.)

I played through the demo. Like most folks, I was very excited about the potential of a "next gen" Star Wars game. But after playing through it, I found myself...bored. I read a few reviews last night and even though everyone seemed to like the story and the graphics...the constant repetitiveness of the gameplay and lack of realy "innovation" is what really dissapointed most. Based on my experience witht the demo, I chose NOT to purchase it.

I played and beat it. First off game is very short you can get though the game in 6 hours or less(even on Hard).

Second up game get's very repetitive. It's the same thing over and over again. It just get's boring. Yes you can get combos in the game. Theirs really no need to use any of them.

Force powers are ok, nothing like what we saw in the first or second trailer.

Best part of the game is the story. In my eyes better than Episode 1, 2 or 3.

Than theirs the bugs. AI will get stuck on the floor, or will just stand their not knowing what to do. AI is dumb.

Best part of the game should be when you bring down a Star Destroyer from space. It's one of the most annoying things to do in the game.

finally Boss battles. They seem to be able to block almost anything you throw at them, even force powers. None of the battles are hard. It just might take some time.

Once you beat it theirs no reason to go back to the game. It does have two different endings. However Light Side is the True ending. Dark side ending feels like something LucasArts threw into the game just to say yes when have two different endings.

Bottomline rent the game do not spend the 60 dollars.

Last edited:
I'm guessing I'm about halfway through the game... DOn't know about that 6 hour timeline..... I'm guessing about 10 unless you play it on easy and never die.....

Not your typical hack and slash as you have to level up and get lots of key combos to beat some foes....

A few bosses are crazy hard (the worst was this little rodent who went all Yoda on my ass, I beat on him like crazy and his health barely budges, but I finally get it down, and he calls in this colossus with a fresh set of health..... took me about two dozen attempts to beat it on normal difficulty..... Meanwhile Shak Ti was surprisingly easy, only had to have it reset on me three times before I beat her.....

Camera has a mind of its own, especially when it puts your character in front of a pile of debris and you can't see it....

The story is the big appeal here..... Lots of great links to explain what happens between III and IV.... Especially Vader's unexpected help in forming the Rebellion....

It's not Knights of the Old Republic, but it is a fun game...... Making stormtroopers fly to their death is fun..... The best moment was when 10 of them surrounded me, I fire off force repulse and they fly away from me into walls, over a cliff, etc.....

A few funny achievements too......

In the prologue, when you are Vader.... Kill 12 stormtroopers and get the "Worst Day Shift Manager EVER" achievement.....

Ummmmmm, I might have to check it out now just because of the story.....
I'm in the middle of it now, and while the control does have some frustrating moments, it still is a genuinely fun game. The force powers are cool (Force Grab and Throw NEVER gets old) the cut-scenes are well done, and it's very fun to get into. There's no reason to not rent or Gamefly it.

The story is bar none, one of the strongest features of the game, and makes games like Halo and Gears of War pale in comparison (strictly on story issues).....

I just finished it last night on the "regular difficulty" (not easy, but one step up). Star Wars games have been freakishly hard, even on Regular, and that trend continueshere, so you may want to play it on easy if your button mashing skills are average..... The boss battles specifically are exercises in frustration (the worst being when you spend 20 minutes finally beating one boss after 10 tries, it throws a second boss at you which kills you in your weakened state, and then you have to go back and fight the first boss again.... Grrrrrr.... Oh for the good ole days of Doom that let you save at any point in a tough section.....

But the cutscenes are gripping (I especially like one after you fight Darth Vader near the end)....

One annoying part of the game? The much hyped yanking down of the Star Destroyer on the junkyard planet..... Way more annoying than it should have been.... After you fight off a dozen TIE fighters, you turn the Star Destroyer for 40 seconds and line it up, ... as SOON as you get it straight and start to nudge it downwards, they launch another dozen TIE fighters at you. Ignore them and they shred your health, let go of the Destroyer and it starts turning again and you have to start over again......

I'm looking forward now to going back to the earlier missions at full strength and getting the missing holocrons and bonus objectives....

One GOOD thing I like...... When you fail a section, it DOESN'T subtract any level ups you've achieved or talents learned..... So if it takes you 10 times to beat a foe, you get incrementally stronger.... However, it's not like KOTOR, where you are bordering on godlike at the end of the game... You never quite feel like you are invincible....

Anyone play it on the wii? I've read mixed reviews of the controls there, too.

I may rent it, first, before buying it for my son.

Hello?! Has anyone heard of "Spoiler Alert" ettiquette :shh

I didn't mention anything that wasn't in the commercials......

OK, I'll give you one.... (minor spoiler) in order to unlock either the Light Side or Dark Side achievement at the end of the game.... The ending you see will be based on whether you obey the Emperor or you don't......

And I'll leave it at that......

I didn't mention anything that wasn't in the commercials......

OK, I'll give you one.... (minor spoiler) in order to unlock either the Light Side or Dark Side achievement at the end of the game.... The ending you see will be based on whether you obey the Emperor or you don't......

And I'll leave it at that......

I generally FF through all TV commercials, but after reading this thread, I was curious and made the mistake of checking out X-play's review online, and they gave away WAY more than you. :eek:

I generally FF through all TV commercials, but after reading this thread, I was curious and made the mistake of checking out X-play's review online, and they gave away WAY more than you. :eek:
Ah see, that's what I wish the reviewers wouldn't do. I like that they give huge impressions of games and stuff, but it's possible to hit all the areas without giving away the story element of it, you can address it objectively. "The writing is good, etc..."

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)