Four Orbitals and 921

davhol

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
Utah
I asked a question in the Gen. Dish Forum about this same thing (sorry for the dup, but thought the 921 group would see it better here).
If I use a DPP44 switch to hook up 3 dishes (Dish 500: 110/119, Dish 300 for 61.5 & 148 -- all using DishPRO LNBs), I KNOW that I can hook up this switch for all 4 orbital locations (61.5, 110, 119, 148). The question is will the 921 recognize this configuration and will it "work" (I know about duplicate channels in the EPG such that you can't channel up/down across duplicates, but will the 921 otherwise work)?

Not only will the 921 work with the four sats you mention, its smart enough to NOT list the duplicated channels in the guide twice.

That is GREAT news.... however, I'm having a bit of a problem. I decided to "take the plunge" (after deciding NOT to get the 921 last Feb. when DishDepot called me up as #5 on their waiting list) and get a 921 from a local retailer for $549. I also decided to swap out all my legacy LNBs for DispPros. I have a DPTwin at 110/119, a DPDual at 61.5 and a DPSingle at 148. For the moment, I've disconnected 148. Connecting all this equipment, I have a DPP44 switch with 110 going into port 1, 119 going into port 2, 61.5 going into port 3 (and 148 being able to go into port 4). I have 3 feeds coming out of the switch; two going to my 921 and 1 going to my 501. I have port 1 of the switch set with the power inserter and going to tuner 1 on the 921. Port 2 going to tuner 2 and port 3 going to my 501. The 501 "sees" everything it should: all even and odd transponders on all 3 birds. The 921, however, only sees the odd transponders on 110/119 and the check switch matrix shows a "dual" on the 3rd input port but it has no sat. number and no "OK" value. The "details" page shows that port 3 has a good connection but no signal. I took the 921 back to the retailer's showroom and hooked it back up to his legacy 500 QUAD LNB, did a switch check and it could see everything. Question: has anybody else used a 921 with a DPP44 switch and if so, have they seen anthing like this? I have verified each cable run as being "perfect" by using my 501 with fresh "power-reboot"/switchchecks on each and every cable coming from the switch (and having disconnected the 921, but leaving the power inserter on port 1 cable). Dish is stumped (I've spent hours with ATR). My retailer is stumped (he's not very technical anyway). The only thing I can imagine at this point in time is that the 921 doesn't "work and play well" with the DPP44 switch. My retailer let me borrow a DP34 switch so I can swap out the DPP44 tomorrow during daylight hours. Anybody have any insight?

Thanks!

Oh! For the record, I'm running L211. Dish ATR _thinks_ there may be a software bug that hasn't been found in 211 with these LNB/switch combinations.

OK - two things. First the DPP44 has been known to hang. Pull ALL power. The inserter AND ALL receivers to reset it.

Anothr thing to try is moving the 501 to port #1 with the power inserter - thereby leaving the 921 with 'clean' feeds.

Finally, swap the satellite feeds around. A good rule of thumb is for 119 to be on port #1 (this applies to just about everything). That leaves 110 on port #2, and whatever on 3 & 4 - try 148 instead of 61.5 just for the heck of it.

Ok! Here's another interesting "tidbit." I tried Simon's suggestion and got the same results. When the frost cleared from the roof, I went up and swapped out the DPP44 switch with a DP34 switch (obviously pulling out the power inserter FIRST!), went back in and did a switch check on the 921 and VOILA! It could see all 3 birds (119,110,61.5) and all transponders! I called Dish to let them know. I turned off the 921, went back on the roof and reinstalled the DPP44 switch, came back down, put the power inserter back on port 1, hooked up the 921 and turned it on (I had left it on the HD Demo channel with the DP34 switch) and, to my amazement, I could still see the DEMO channel which comes from 61.5! NOTE: I did NOT do a switch check on the newly re-installed DPP44 switch! I can see all transponders and all 3 birds. This tells me there may be a bug in the 921's switch check software! I called Dish to let them know and they indicated someone from the 921 support team would be calling me sometime. I'm "afraid" to do a switch check right now for fear of losing 61.5 (and having to go back up and re-swap switches with the DP34). Sounds like this story will continue... :)

Finally!!

Well, it took them over a month to "figure out" what to do, but the official word from the 921 support team at Dish is that a 921 MUST have a DishPro Separator feeding it it's two signals when talking to a DPP44 switch. Currently, the 921 doesn't like talking directly to the DishProPlus 44 switch. So now I'm able to do a switch check on the DPP44 switch, see all orbital locations correctly and see all transponders! I'm a happy camper again! :)

davhol said:
Well, it took them over a month to "figure out" what to do, but the official word from the 921 support team at Dish is that a 921 MUST have a DishPro Separator feeding it it's two signals when talking to a DPP44 switch. Currently, the 921 doesn't like talking directly to the DishProPlus 44 switch. So now I'm able to do a switch check on the DPP44 switch, see all orbital locations correctly and see all transponders! I'm a happy camper again! :)
Thanks for the idea,:) when I first got my 921 and hooked it to the dpp44, I got 4 sats... then during a Charlie chat (go figure) I lost all signal... when I got it back and eversince all I get on my 921 is 148, 119 and 110. I have a 6000u hooked up and it gets 119, 110 and 61.5 and I just got a replacement 501 I hooked up last weed and it finds all 4 sats...I will try the Seperator as that is the only thing I have not tried.

davhol said:
Got my seperator in today, hooked up, Got all 4 Sats again:) ... thanks davhol, I too am a happy camper now...

Congrats!!

dfergie said:
Got my seperator in today, hooked up, Got all 4 Sats again:) ... thanks davhol, I too am a happy camper now...

I've been bizzie doing other things and haven't looked at the forum in a couple of days. As I was signing in, I was wonding what ever happend with your system! I'm thrilled for you! Glad to pass on what I found out from Dish 921 support team!

Dave

Interesting mine does not show duplicates twice, just a single time each. I am using a sw21/sw64 cascade for the same sats. After a reboot do you need to do a check switch or are you able to get channels on all four without. I am planning to upgrade to the dpp44 as soon as the weather warms up a bit here. The reason I ask is with my legacy setup after a reboot my on 921 cannot find channels on 62.5 without running the check switch. (the really dumb thing is my other 921 loses the all the other sats).
Thanks for any info.

dfergie said:
Not when I do the 921 reboot, power switch or plug...there is a thread here where Simon and Nippjas helped me get mine going originally before Charlie Chat killed it:D whats cool is the seperator is less than 10 bucks...
Good to hear. With all the reboots that L211 requires.

Thanks