Fox looks horrible

fmj77

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 22, 2017
Western North Carolina
I'm watching the Ohio State-Oregon game and the picture looks absolutely horrendous on my Hopper 3. It's very blurry and pixelated. Anything I can do about this or is just due to Dish's crappy compression technology?

I recorded and watched the game on channel 540-01 in 4K. The picture was sharp with good details. Once again the color was less vivid and less bright on the 4K broadcast on 540-01 compared to the Fox Broadcast on channel 28. While watching I compared the Fox OTA channel on my TV which is 720P with the Dish Fox channel 28 which is 1080i and they both looked identical. Of course the colors were brighter and more vivid on the Fox 28 channels than the 4K broadcast on channel 540-01.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

the MLB game looks amazing

others on other providers were also reporting bad PQ during that game .

I have also noticed a lot of variability over the years in the HD quality amongst many of the networks when watching football games. Often it’s grainy. It seems to be most common with the main camera angles that show the live play action. Other close up angles from different cameras often look fine. It’ll be fine on one channel and grainy on another channel both showing live games at the same time. It’s not consistently grainy for all games on the same network and it occurs on local channels been piped in via satellite (e.g. Fox) as well as non-local channels (e.g. ESPN). I used to think it was cameras out of adjustment but I believe they typically use more than 1 camera for live play shots switching between them as play moves up and down the field. I’ve always put it down to an issue at the stadium with how the broadcast feed back to the network has been setup or the equipment they are using but that’s just a guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have also noticed a lot of variability over the years in the HD quality amongst many of the networks when watching football games. Often it’s grainy. It seems to be most common with the main camera angles that show the live play action. Other close up angles from different cameras often look fine. It’ll be fine on one channel and grainy on another channel both showing live games at the same time. It’s not consistently grainy for all games on the same network and it occurs on local channels been piped in via satellite (e.g. Fox) as well as non-local channels (e.g. ESPN). I used to think it was cameras out of adjustment but I believe they typically use more than 1 camera for live play shots switching between them as play moves up and down the field. I’ve always put it down to an issue at the stadium with how the broadcast feed back to the network has been setup or the equipment they are using but that’s just a guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
For big games, the cameras will all feed to the production truck, and a single feed (with a backup) will go from the production truck via fiber or satellite to the originating network. In that situation, the odds of a single camera being out of adjustment are extremely slim.

For smaller games, and possibly "medium" level games, they will feed the camera signals straight back to the originating network (generally over fiber). Then you might see a difference in camera. While possible, I doubt they would have used that setup for OSU-Oregon.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)