Freezing on HDNet Movies? Anyone else?

scott78945

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 18, 2005
I am watching The Naked Gun now on HDNet movies, channel 9423, and I have had the movie freeze about 4 times already for about 5 seconds each time. This is something new as this hasn't happened before. Anyone else having freezing probs? I see someone else posted baout Monster HD bt I don't have any Voom channels so I cannot comment on them.

Yep. And a lot of audio dropouts.

Actually besides the Voom and the rest of the HD channels being wonky lately, I'm also having a problem with SD freezing periodically too.

Last edited:
I noticed the same thing a bit earlier. I surfed thru it and right after the pic came up, it pixelated and locked up and just sat there frozen for like 20 seconds. I thought the 942 had locked up, but then it un froze and continued.

This happened to HDNet movies before during times when they were tweeking with bitrate settings etc.. It finally went away after they stopped but I do remember this. I sure hope they aren't doing this for a reason, because they have no reason :)

I just noticed it on Encore also. I had never really had problems until tonight. I had it pixelate a little here and there but nothing like it has been doing tonight. Why can't they do this "testing" at 3am when most of the country is in bed. I am now having pixelation, freexing, and now audio loss. If I wanted constant problems I would have stayed with Time Warner Cable...

Voom has been doing it for a few days..........unwatchable I might add ! Call them and get a credit for something you are paying for and they are not delivering ....I did earlier. If enough complain they will wake up one day....MAYBE !!

I think their trying to see just how much they can squeeze and compress these tp's and trying to manipulate the birate settings. After all if they planned on giving us True HD wouldn't they have just flipped the switch so to speak and put everything back like it was. I think we are being given cheap wine and they won't us to believe its Champagne!!

OMG I tried to watch Greg the bunny tonight and it was terrible!!! :( :(

HDNet's problem are really bad! the program will freeze and will be stuck until you change the channels. was no frequency to it. it happened then, 3 minutes later, than twice in the same minute. I dunno if dish is using some crappy encoders or what but these problems are not good! :(

BFG, it has been confirmed(by some pro's on the AVS) that the HDNets are passed thru untouched on Dish, no re-encoding, that have been that way from day one, I didn't know this until recently myself

so this is something other than bitrates being adjusted

-Gary

I saw freezing and pixellation during Japan Landscapes and Smart Travels today on HDNet.

Last edited:
I was watching Rush. The program was Kyaking in Africa. The pic kept freezing and the audio kept droping out. The program was unwatchable. If Dish keeps this up, I am dropping th HD channels.

Gary Murrell said:
BFG, it has been confirmed(by some pro's on the AVS) that the HDNets are passed thru untouched on Dish, no re-encoding, that have been that way from day one, I didn't know this until recently myself
so this is something other than bitrates being adjusted
-Gary
Ok but at least we can agree that Something has to be happening to cause these problems, they aren't ghosts ;)

I am experiencing this on all hd channels. I am waiting here this afternoon for installer to show up to swap out my 811 for 942. I am getting a little concerned whether I should have cancelled and jumped ship.

I saw the freezing on HDNet movies today also. My 942 would seem to lock up for about 5 - 10 seconds and then the movie would pixellate a bit and go on. This happens about every 5 - 10 minutes. :confused:

I would have called to complain but my I need to call my local installer that sells Dish, not Dish directly. Did anyone call and complain?

Something is obviously happening guys, maybe dish is doing stuff that is not bitrate or Rez related

there is discussion on the AVS forum about SEC rates in my Voom HD-Lite thread

Dish could be very well increasing these to be able to do 3 1920x1080i per transponder and with good bitrate

I am not very "in the know" about the SEC stuff

-Gary

Gary Murrell said:
Something is obviously happening guys, maybe dish is doing stuff that is not bitrate or Rez related
there is discussion on the AVS forum about SEC rates in my Voom HD-Lite thread
Dish could be very well increasing these to be able to do 3 1920x1080i per transponder and with good bitrate
I am not very "in the know" about the SEC stuff
-Gary

SEC rates? Do you mean FEC (forward error correction)?