FROM DIRECTV TO DISH: My Initial Thoughts

Spike

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 11, 2005
Suburbs of Milwaukee
A Long Story Short: I recently tried to help one of my long time friends get Directv installed at his apartment. Due to the building’s location, it wasn't possible. The satellite’s location meant that the dish needed to be pointed right at his apartment. So, I lined him up with Dish Network, since the satellite was viewable from his home. He shared with me how much he liked Dish, and I checked into it too. So, after many years with Directv, I made the switch.

Channel Line Up Impressions: Directv and Dish Network are each set up differently. If you are into Sports, you may like Directv’s vast sports selection better. They have NFL Sunday Ticket and MLB offerings that surpass what Dish Network offers. But, to say that Dish Network doesn't offer a good deal of sports programing would NOT be accurate. I found there to be quite a number of good quality HD Sports channels. It’s just that Directv offers more. On the other hand, I found IMO, that Dish Network is better for Movies. It just seems to me that stations like encore westerns, Family, Action, and others are offered at a less expensive entry point than with Directv. I haven't done a side by side comparison, but it just feels that way. Further, there are channels that are on Directv that aren’t on Dish. And their are channels on Dish Network that aren’t on Directv. They are not set up as Apples to Apples. They are different, and for me, that is o.k.

Direct Channel Line Up: A (For more sports I’d go here)
Dish Network: A (For Movies I’d go here. Yes, Directv is also very good here.)

Picture Comparison: It has always been my contention that people really want to say that the programing that they have is the best. All of us want this to be so, since none of us has the desire to subscribe to a television programing service that is anything but excellent. I had Dish Network years ago. I have also been with Directv for many years. And now I’m with Dish Network again. I wouldn’t call one service better than the other in terms of Picture Quality. I would say they are both equally good in their own right. My eyes tell me that Directv has a very slight edge in the definition department. This is almost undetectable, so much so that it isn’t enough of a margin of a difference for me to make even a little bit of fuss about. The two providers provide a high quality, well defined picture. But the edge, IMO though slight, does go to Directv. In terms of proper use of color saturation, accuracy, and brilliance I would give the edge to Dish Network. They do a fabulous job with skin tones and the presentation of bright rich colors. I really like what they are doing in this area. I love a picture that handles colors well. (EDITED FOR ACCURACY) I’d also like to note that both of these providers presentation of picture is also greatly dependent on the quality of the displays that the picture is being presented on. One of my televisions is a cheap-o HD tv, and I can tell it. The others in my home are upper mid range in price to somewhat expensive, and those displays are noticeably better in their picture presentation than the lesser expensive one.

In terms of Picture Resolution, I give the thumbs up here to Directv. They allow for the broadcasters intended resolution to be displayed. 480p, 720p, 1080i, & 1080p are each made available as a preferred resolution choice for every channel or a user can choose every channel to be presented in it’s native resolution. That way, when a person tunes into a 480p channel, the display presents a 480p picture. The same can be said for channels that use either 720p, 1080i, or 1080p. Dish Network is set up in such a way that you chose your preferred resolution for all channels and that is what all of the channels display regardless of the broadcaster’s output intent from their facility. If you chose 1080i, everything is in 1080i. Anything less is upconverted. Some like this, others don’t. For me, I like the choice of native resolution for all channels. And Directv is the one of the two that has that option.

Directv’s Color Presentation: A-
Dish Network’s Color Presentation: A+

Directv’s Over All Picture Quality IMO: A
Dish Network’s Over All Picture Quality IMO: A (my eyes prefer this one)

DVR Comparison: All I have to say here is this: I came over to Dish Network largely because of the Hopper Joey setup. Directv’s Genie has the ability to record 5 channels at once. It has the ability to link up to Genie Minis in other rooms, and even has the advantage of easily adding HD DVRS to work with the Genie Easily. But, I like the Hopper and Joey so much better. It has Prime Time Recording, ability to watch Network programs without the commercials the day after a show airs, and has so many more options over the Genie that I can’t even begin to list them all.

Directv’s Genie System of DVRs: B
Dish Network’s Hopper/Joey System: A+++++

Final Thoughts: I have no complaints about Directv at all. I used them for years and really enjoyed what they have to offer. I just like Dish Network better. I love their Hopper, really like their picture quality, and I’m really satisfied with my decision to go with them. I hope to be with them for a very long time. I really like what they are doing and the direction they are going. As they say, to each their own. And for me, right now, Dish Network is my preferred choice of satellite service. I really like it. Further, I'd like to thank Scott for seeing me through this transition. He took the time to answer my questions and was never pushy one way or the other. Thanks Scott!

Last edited:
Welcome to Dish, any questions, just ask! :)

What set up do you have?

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Last edited:
I tested DIRECTV's hd dvr a few years back when I had both services side by side and the native resolution feature is what I thought I would like ,but boy I sure didn't care for it. Everytime the resolution changed the picture would flicker and go black and then set . Very distracting to tune to a channel and go through the 5 -10 seconds of flicker before it reset itself. I finally turned it off and went with one resolution 1080i.

"l also like it that Dish provides a 120 hz. to 240 hz. output of their picture, as compared to Directv’s 60 hz."

Huh??

Dish Network is set up in such a way that you chose your preferred resolution for all channels and that is what all of the channels display regardless of the broadcaster’s output intent from their facility. If you chose 1080i, everything is in 1080i. Anything less is upconverted. Some like this, others don’t. For me, I like the choice of native resolution for all channels. And Directv is the one of the two that has that option.
With modern TVs (i.e. native resolution), having the receiver output a single resolution vs pass-through has the benefit of more transparent switching for the viewer. Granted, some TVs may do a better job of up-converting than Dish's receivers do.... It will vary for every person out there.

DirecTv isn't even close to Dish when it comes to SD programming. DirecTV SD is barely watchable.

Last edited:
DirecTv isn't even close to Dish when it comes to SD programming. DirecTV SD is barely watchable.
That's why in other forums they have a HD anticipation thread for that reason, But it looks okay on my tv, I think the only ones that Dish subs in this forum wants are full time rsn's and missing ESPN HD channels.

I also like it that Dish provides a 120 hz. to 240 hz. output of their picture, as compared to Directv’s 60 hz. There are absolutely no refresh rate issues with Dish. There are no action scenes that pixelate or lag behind to catch up. Directv’s 60 hz. picture would sometimes pixelate during action scenes, if my tv’s weren’t set up to specifically compensate for the 60 hz. picture presentation.

Good review other than this part. :)

There is no such setting, output is either 60p (for 720p) or 30i (for 1080i).

If you haven't seen pixilation during action scenes on Dish (or Direct for that matter) consider yourself lucky. :D

Good review other than this part. :)

There is no such setting, output is either 60p (for 720p) or 30i (for 1080i).

If you haven't seen pixilation during action scenes on Dish (or Direct for that matter) consider yourself lucky. :D

My mistake. My installer gave me the wrong facts. For this I gladly eat crow.

Until I got the HR44 I would have agreed fully with this statement. But the HR44 on my TV with SD programming is just fine and certainly watcheable for movies and shows. Neither D* nor E*'s SD is good on sports though.

Until I got the HR44 I would have agreed fully with this statement. But the HR44 on my TV with SD programming is just fine and certainly watcheable for movies and shows. Neither D* nor E*'s SD is good on sports though.

I just hope for your sake that an "update" doesn't screw things up. My HR34 was great until one of these updates. After that it was never the same again.

I just hope for your sake that an "update" doesn't screw things up. My HR34 was great until one of these updates. After that it was never the same again.

Yeah, I'm quite familiar with D*'s programmers. They are never satisfied until they've added enough crap to slow things down!! :)

"They allow for the broadcasters intended resolution to be displayed. 480p, 720p, 1080i, & 1080p are each made available as a preferred resolution choice for every channel or a user can choose every channel to be presented in it’s native resolution. That way, when a person tunes into a 480p channel, the display presents a 480p picture. The same can be said for channels that use either 720p, 1080i, or 1080p. "

Your display can only produce a single (native) resolution. It most likely is a 720 or 1080 display. If you feed it 480, the TV converts it to its native resolution.

The choice is whether you think your STB or your TV can make the conversion better.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

The choice is whether you think your STB or your TV can make the conversion better.

Hear hear. In general, Dish receivers do a better job of scaling than the TV. My first HDTV was a Westinghouse with fabulous scalers. Then I bought an RCA which was so awful on SD material I took it back. My most recent acquisition, a 32" Emerson from Walmart for $98, can't scale down worth beans! I plugged it into a 612 set for 1080i output, and it was unwatchable. I had to reduce the 612 to 720p before it appeared to be an HD set.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)