Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
Dish Network has asked me to post the following mini poll. So here it is. Please answer the questions if you get a second. :)

Just understand I did not makeup or re word the questions. :)

Thanks

One of the main problem is when a customer intentionally or inadvertently changes the mode on their remote to something other than SAT mode, and then forgets to place the remote back into SAT mode. To ensure customers stay in SAT mode or get back to SAT mode, different methods have been identified to help ensure customers do not inadvertently go into TV mode and lose satellite functionality.

Please select the method below that best accomplishes this. In all cases, the remote will only be able to carry out one of these options in limited mode.

Option:

1. When in limited mode, the remote will automatically change back
to SAT mode after a selected time if the customer presses the TV mode button.

- Is this your choice?
- Why?

2. When in limited mode, the TV mode is "locked out" so that the
customer can not inadvertently change to that mode.

- Is this your choice?
- Why?

3. When a customer selects the TV mode, all functions of the SAT
mode are carried over so that TV mode functions the same as though they
were in SAT mode.

- Is this your choice?
- Why?

From these options, we're asking that you please select the best option,
let us know why you think it is the best one, and finally give reasons
why you do not suggest the other two.

1. When in limited mode, the remote will automatically change back
to SAT mode after a selected time if the customer presses the TV mode button.

- This should apply after a change to ANY mode other than SAT. DO NOT LIMIT it to TV. Probably the most foolproof of the options. Defaulting back to Sat mode after say 15-20 secs. In most instances, when we switch the remote out of Sat mode, it is for a momentary action like turning up the volume on the receiver. We never go into TV mode, the TV button handles the power on and off fine. Most of our activity is on the AUX button which handles the Sony receiver, so the the other options would not do anthing for us.

On a side note, I wish there was a way to LOCK OUT the Dish Home button! It is too sensitive and when it gets hit accidentally, it takes forever to boot into Dish Home and then to exit back out. I want to lock the darn thing. It is of limited use anyway.

3. Carry over all the SAT functions except for TV/Video button and Menu button. Also, if the customer wants to use the TV mode to change the TV channels and not DISH channels, then they need to go into TV unlimited mode by pressing TV button twice and indicate it as so by blinking the TV button intermittently. This way the customer will know that when they change channels, they're changing the TV channels and not the DISH channels. Also have it blink at a slower rate than if you were programming the TV codes. I think that's pretty fool-proof but flexible for power users.

I couldn't agree more. That Dish Home button is a pain in the a...

To answer the question, I like option 3. All the SAT functions should be carried to the TV mode. It wouldn't matter if you are in TV or SAT mode everything should work just like when you are in SAT mode.

Survey

Option 3 for me.

The inadvertant activation of the Dish Home button is the biggest problem.

One problem I see with option 3 is that if all functions are carried over then if someone wanted to switch the TV to another input channel it would also change the satellite channel. And even if you gave two different channel up/down buttons, the customer could still get confused and switch the TV when they meant to switch the satellite. Additionally, even if you made the remote have a "unlimited" mode by hitting the TV mode button twice, I don't see how someone, that can't figure out what channel their TV needs to be on for satellite TV, to remember to do this. Remember, the less complicated it is, the easier it is, if you make it too complicated, then you defeat the purpose of it in the first place. The solution has to be the simplest, so I'd say option 1. Option 2 sounds good on its face, but how confusing would it be to remember to switch your remote from limited mode before you can turn off your TV?

I don't have a problem with getting my TV, VCR, etc. on the right channel to watch satellite tv, so I guess I've answered the question the best that I can. (keep it simple, see above) Is this really that big of a problem? My 67 year old mom does not have any problems switching her TV, VCR, etc. to the right channel to watch satellite TV, a DVD or VHS tape and etc... Perhaps someone out there is making this more complicated than it really is.

Option #4 ?

How 'bout Option #4 and leave well enough alone and not change anything? I can only imagine how many other problems would be created if they tried to do this as a software update. :no

If I understand it correctly #3 seems to be the best choice. I like the idea of having the remote default back to SAT after a period of inactivity (5 minutes?). This will help the clueless folks, while not driving the power users nuts either.

One request while we have your attention...... how about transferring over MORE functions to the TV buttons so it can replace my TV remote entirely (Menu, PIP, etc.). Also, how about changing VCR and AUX to AUX1 and AUX 2 or those of us who want to control our Recordable DVD players instead of a VCR? I know you have to dumb it down for the Walmart set, but how about a little customization flexibility for us tech savvy types.

Oh and BACKLIGHT THE FRAGGIN THING!

Which of these options is going to make my TV video input come back to AV5, after it's been set to something else? That's the one extra function I want on my remote. Then I can hit that button, the SAT button, and I'm set.

Just make a simplified satellite only remote and give it to the old farts who can't figure out the SAT-TV mode business, and make them use their existing remotes.

Or make a code the installer can type into the standard remote to disable the TV VCR and AUX options.

"Bad old man! No universal remote for you!"

Option #1. Switch back to SAT mode after a set time period.

Also, when in any non-SAT mode, flash the led associated with that mode once every 1-1/2 seconds as a visual clue that you are in that mode. And just to be 100% clear, STOP flashing that non-SAT mode led when the remote automatically switches back to SAT mode! (else I can almost predict the next series of "uncommon trend reports" that might be spawned by this remote change!)

I don't understand option 3. If "all functions" of SAT mode still operate as SAT mode when in TV mode, then what would be the difference between TV mode and SAT mode? The only TV-specific buttons when talking about TV mode vs. SAT mode are volume up/down and mute. I assume "all functions" includes channel numbers, channel up/down, menu button, ok/select button, etc...

But anyways, I would "opt" for option 1 as looking the best to me. I may even use it, just because at times I'm forgetful about making sure I'm in the right mode before pressing a button (if it's been since yesterday that I used the remote, or even a half hour back).

And I agree with what's said above, (a) extend this to the other mode/device buttons and (b) I too would love to lock out the Dish Home button.

I believe #1 might be the best option, especially for the less than tech savvy.

I love advanced features as much as the next guy, but I'm guessing many of the other members here fall into the same "free tech support for family and friends" group as I do, and sometimes I'd rather it be simpler for them, so I dont have to explain twice a week!

I also like haertigs idea of the light blinking until defaulting (or manually switching) back to SAT.

One more remote idea...perhaps they should consider offering a more advanced (touch-LCD, maybe) remote that could be purchased seperately that would be tailored for use with their receivers for the high-end users?

...and I love the idea of a disable option for the Dish Home button!

i wish itd work better with dvd players, on mine at least the arrow buttons to go thru the menus doesnt work....one dvd player is rca, one is an oritron htib.

Option #1. Switch back to SAT mode after a set time period.

Perhaps evan have a way to change the length of time before it defaults back to SAT mode.

Honestly though, on the systems I've used upto this one, I've never had to change modes for anything I need to do really. This was accomplished by having the volume up/down mapped to the reciever/aux when I pushed it in Cable Mode (comcast). If Up/Down changed the audio reciever volume in SAT mode I would never have a need to change modes.

As an installer I would say otption #1 would be the best as well.

Personally I think that the remote should only work the On/Off and Volume on the TV and thats it. If they want to do anything else like change to a different input or channel then use the old remote. I know this makes it harder for the people that "CAN" use the remote, but to many people call me for this problem.

Infact I just got off the phone with a customer that I did a Dish Mover today. They have had the system for a year and three months.

Personally, if I want to control the other components of my theater system, the last thing I grab is the Dish remote. There are so many good universal remotes out there (you can spend hundreds of dollars!) that I consider the remotes that come with individual components - be it a satellite system, a TV, a DVD player, or whatever - to be relatively worthless and to be used as backups for the main universal controller mostly. The only time I use the Dish remote is when I don't have the home theater fired up and I'm using only the 522 and the TV. The only thing I require then that is non-satellite is the power and volume on the TV, and the current controller does that without switching modes. About the only time I ever push the Dish's different mode buttons is when I think someone ELSE might have screwed it up and switched it into a different mode by accident. So I hit the SAT button and go on my merry way.

If Dish is designing a new remote, I'd suggest that they allow the user to choose a "home" mode, and a time delay to automatically go back to home. Default this to home = SAT, delay = 10 sec, not-at-home = slow blink. Allow users to change home, delay, and blink and also to turn off the auto-home feature totally if they wish. But this is probably getting a little too sophisticated for a (IMHO) single component semi-universal "it came in the box for free!" controller like Dish's.

I don't like switching device modes at all. (So, I use Harmony remote for that reason.)

I would prefer oprion #1. This way I would always know what to expect from the remote when I grab it...

625 Sat-DVR universal 6 function remotes?

Problem with finding 105 on a DP-34

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)