Front USB fuglyness solutions

Eduardito

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 8, 2011
San Juan, Puerto Rico
I have the back USB covered with the wireless adapter and the front with the slingbox on my 722k, but it looks ugly. Any solution to this? will a USB splitter on the back work?

A USB hub will work with the 722k. I use a powered one (it has its own power supply.) I believe that the brand I have is MacAlly. It works fine with the sling adapter and a 1TB EHD.

Non-powered USB hubs don't pass enough power to attached peripherals such as Hard Drives. As cheap as powered hubs are, it makes better sense to use one.

Well to be fair a non-powered hub works just as well as not having a hub at all. In other words, the device you are hooking up to it better have it's own power supply if it needs extra power. Having a powered hub would just give you the option of using devices that pull power via USB.

Non powered works fine, I have 3 EHD's going thru a non powered hub that cost me less then $5, now if dish can make them all available at the same time that would be nice.

Non powered works fine, I have 3 EHD's going thru a non powered hub that cost me less then $5, now if dish can make them all available at the same time that would be nice.

If you have 3 of them, how does the dvr show which hard drive is currently active.

Just a word of warning... trying to use a non powered hub on a 722/722k might work, but you might help kill the power supply on your 722/722k from straining it trying to power the external devices. ALWAYS use a powered USB hub to avoid issues and prolong the life of your receiver. :D

Scott Greczkowski said:
Just a word of warning... trying to use a non powered hub on a 722/722k might work, but you might help kill the power supply on your 722/722k from straining it trying to power the external devices. ALWAYS use a powered USB hub to avoid issues and prolong the life of your receiver. :D

I am just wondering if anyone else thinks that Scott should sign off his posts by writing ....

"From all of us here at SatelliteGuys, I'm Scott Burgundy. You stay classy SatelliteGuys!"

I only use the EHD 's when I transfer back and forth, or making copies. I hardly ever play back from them because I keep them in sleep mode "seagate's" and the bugs in that mode are still there. I also try to keep my 722 with as few shows as possible because I notice a faster response to commands when it's has fewer events and shows. But that's good to know if I need to leave them on for a long time , I will just bypass the hub and plug into the front like I do with my pocketdish. thanks Scott

I plug in only 1 USB at a time--8 potential ones. At are plugged into a switched AC strip using cube taps.
I would like a multiple-outlet AC strip with individual switches so I could use a 7-to-1 USB hub--just have not seen one.
At least the power strip can turn off all of them (1) to save power and (2) to not delay the daily reboot by 15 min.

The alternative would be a USB selector, preferably with 2 outputs for 2 722s.
-Ken

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts