Frustrated with advertising

jbarr

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 18, 2013
Anderson, SC
My wife saw an ad for an "Upgrade to the Hopper" this weekend, so we got excited and called to make the upgrade. The only relevant fineprint on the ad was "*Available with qualifying packages"

We have the "America's Top 250" package, and the ad states that the package is $44.99 per month for 12 months then up to the regular price of $79.99 per month for the 2nd 12 months. That would net a $420 savings over the two year commitment. Very cool!

Turns out that this is for new customers only, not existing customers. NOWHERE DOES IT STATE THAT IN THE AD!

The CSR dismisses it as our package not qualifying because we are an existing customer, and everyone seems to just accept it. I'm getting tired of companies like this using legal and semantic loopholes to give the wrong impression.

In know our feelings aren't unique, and I know that this is not unique to Dish. It's just that we have been a Dish customer for many years, and it just seems like they could care less about promoting the latest and greatest to existing customers in favor of attracting new customers. What's most frustrating is that loyalty doesn't mean squat anymore.

In the end, we ordered a Hopper and a Joey to replace our 722K and second SD receiver, and surprisingly, we will be saving $3.00 per month while gaining several nice new features, but it's a far cry from the $420 we were hoping for.

Don't get me wrong, we love the Dish service, and we have been extremely happy with it for several years. its DVR is the best on the market, IMHO, and there ia a ton of positive goodness that comes out of Dish. I just wish existing customers wouldn't be treated like they are.

Sorry for the rant.

?-Jim

Thank you for alerting us to the known facts, I just wish State Attorney Generals were as observant. Far too many times the consumer is defrauded legally.

In the yellow banner, along with the ipad, it says when you Sign Up For Dish. These types of ads from all providers are always directed at new customers.

I would normally agree with that, except that I read the ad as providing more than one offer:

• Free iPad when signing up
  • Free Hopper Upgrade
  • Different package discount choices

I concede that I could be misinterpreting it.

I guess in the end, it boils down to this: If you are an existing Dish customer, you should disregards all Dish ads, since they don't apply to you. If you are not a Dish customer, then you can take advantage of most ads.

I guess in the end, it boils down to this: If you are an existing Dish customer, you should disregards all Dish ads, since they don't apply to you. If you are not a Dish customer, then you can take advantage of most ads.

Yep.

I completely agree with the misleading ads and it drives me crazy. I get customers in every week with your same argument. It should say in fine print somewhere that it is for new qualifying customers.

All Dish has to do is get rid of the word "Upgrade." This makes existing customers think they can upgrade to the new equipment and get the cheaper rates. Basically what it means is that as a new customer you do not have to pay a fee to get the best equipment Dish offers. Generally when a company comes out with new equipment a customer has to pay an upgrade fee for it even if they are a new customer.

I would normally agree with that, except that I read the ad as providing more than one offer:

• Free iPad when signing up
  • Free Hopper Upgrade
  • Different package discount choices

I concede that I could be misinterpreting it.

You misunderstood the ad and I don't blame you. They are very confusing to people that are not aware. You should disregard all ads you see on TV, hear on the radio and get in the mail because 99.9% of them are only for new customers. If there is a promotion available to an existing customer you will typically be notified by an email or maybe a letter in the mail from Dish.

The CSR dismisses it as our package not qualifying because we are an existing customer, and everyone seems to just accept it. I'm getting tired of companies like this using legal and semantic loopholes to give the wrong impression.

?-Jim

This will never change. Its a marketing ploy. The only way around it is to move to an unihabitted island.

Yes, they tend to lie sometimes, at least to me has happened a couple of times... they offered the 922 back in the day, with $6 for the DVR fee, so I took it... but then the DVR fee was not $6, was $10, and they just were sorry for the misinformation I was given. :rolleyes:

My wife saw an ad for an "Upgrade to the Hopper" this weekend, so we got excited and called to make the upgrade. The only relevant fineprint on the ad was "*Available with qualifying packages"

We have the "America's Top 250" package, and the ad states that the package is $44.99 per month for 12 months then up to the regular price of $79.99 per month for the 2nd 12 months. That would net a $420 savings over the two year commitment. Very cool!

Turns out that this is for new customers only, not existing customers. NOWHERE DOES IT STATE THAT IN THE AD!

In know our feelings aren't unique, and I know that this is not unique to Dish. It's just that we have been a Dish customer for many years, and it just seems like they could care less about promoting the latest and greatest to existing customers in favor of attracting new customers. What's most frustrating is that loyalty doesn't mean squat anymore.

In the end, we ordered a Hopper and a Joey to replace our 722K and second SD receiver, and surprisingly, we will be saving $3.00 per month while gaining several nice new features, but it's a far cry from the $420 we were hoping for.

Don't get me wrong, we love the Dish service, and we have been extremely happy with it for several years. its DVR is the best on the market, IMHO, and there ia a ton of positive goodness that comes out of Dish. I just wish existing customers wouldn't be treated like they are.

Sorry for the rant.

?-Jim

I would confirm this to avoid any suprises. If I've got your current setup right, 722 and Solo SD, you are paying $14 a mo. in fees now. A Hopper and a Joey setup carries $19 a mo. in fees. Unless you are being given $8 a month in credits, you will be paying $5 a mo. more with the new setup. If your second receiver is also a DVR, different story.

"Restrictions Apply" and "Qualifying" are both code meaning "don't believe this." I'm not saying it's right, but it's enough to be aware going into the call that all is probably not what it seems. Caveat emptor.

The new vs old customer debate has been hashed out a lot here. Satellite/Cable is not the only industry giving better deals to new customers. Many do it and do it in much less transparent ways.

I would confirm this to avoid any suprises. If I've got your current setup right, 722 and Solo SD, you are paying $14 a mo. in fees now. A Hopper and a Joey setup carries $19 a mo. in fees. Unless you are being given $8 a month in credits, you will be paying $5 a mo. more with the new setup. If your second receiver is also a DVR, different story.

We have a 722K DVR and a second 2TV SD receiver for which we pay $21.00:

SD/SD (2TV) Receiver $14.00
DVR Service $7.00

The CSR said that our new setup would replace the above with a Hopper and Joey, and would cost $19.00:
DVR Service $12.00
Joey $7.00​

So it's a $2.00 per month savings (My mistake, $2.00, not $3.00 that I originally posted.)

?-Jim

While you will be gaining 2 additional HD tuners,you will be losing one total tuner.Your current setup is 4 total tuners,the Hopper will be only 3.Hopefully that will still be adequate for you.We would run into timer conflicts if we decided to go the hopper route.

While you will be gaining 2 additional HD tuners,you will be losing one total tuner.Your current setup is 4 total tuners,the Hopper will be only 3.Hopefully that will still be adequate for you.We would run into timer conflicts if we decided to go the hopper route.
Depending on how much of the timers are set on local channels. 3 might just be enough.

As a former employee I can defiantly understand your frustration. My favorites were always the dish mover calls where the customer saw we advertise it for "free" but the customer would not see the fine print for qualifying customers. They would always get upset if they did not qualify and would typically give me a bad score on the after call survey for this. :-(

You obviously do not understand what advertising is for, it is not to sell you something you want, it is to convince you to but something you do not need.

Advertising is purposely designed to be deceptive to make you think you are in that special group that their product exactly fits, it will solve all your problems - if you use our deodorant, all the girls will flock to your side despite your terminal acne and broken nose., if you buy this car your family will love you and all your problems will go away as you hurtle across the American landscape with the wind blowing your toupee lose and knotting your ear hairs.

You see advertising is to solve all your problems with one product and one product alone, regardless of all the other products that make the same promise, you just don't understand!

You obviously do not understand what advertising is for, it is not to sell you something you want, it is to convince you to but something you do not need.

Advertising is purposely designed to be deceptive to make you think you are in that special group that their product exactly fits, it will solve all your problems - if you use our deodorant, all the girls will flock to your side despite your terminal acne and broken nose., if you buy this car your family will love you and all your problems will go away as you hurtle across the American landscape with the wind blowing your toupee lose and knotting your ear hairs.

You see advertising is to solve all your problems with one product and one product alone, regardless of all the other products that make the same promise, you just don't understand!
What deodorant do you use?;);)

Yep/ We all (or mostly all) know this. There has been messages forever in every forum. At least our local hockey team has fixed it. In a mailing yesterday they notified season ticket holders: No more special deals, like last year, which sold seats cheaper than Season Ticket Holders pay. About time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)