FYI - Diplexers adversely affect Moca signal strength

GaryPen

Rich or poor, it's good to have money.
Original poster
Supporting Founder
My 1H/1J installation went quickly and well. Once everything checked out, I asked the installer to insert the diplexers back in line, so as to avoid having to go climbing once they released the OTA module. It seemd to work OK, so I sent him on his way.

Well...The system worked fine for a while. BUT, the Joey started intermittently losing connection to the Hopper, eventually not being to locate the Hopper at all. And, when I set them both to pop-up notifications for Moca, both units popped up low signal warnings.

I removed the diplexers, and full signal was restored. No pop-ups. No searching for other devices. This doesn't bode well for the future of the OTA module. Even if they do release one, or update the Hopper to be compatible with off-the-shelf usb tuners, it may very well mean running a separate cable(s):( from the antenna.

yes, you'll need to run a cable from your antenna to the hopper that's going to have the USB tuner. Joeys have USB ports too, but i don't know if they'll allow tuners and such. That's some info to check out when they launch the USB tuner and everything is tested and ready.

Last edited:
yes, you'll need to run a cable from your antenna to the hopper that's going to have the USB tuner. Joeys have USB ports too, but i don't know if they'll allow tuners and such. That's some info to check out when they launch the USB tuner and everything is tested and ready.

Dish has now also commented on diplexers officially in their new documentation released just now... http://www.satelliteguys.us/hopper-zone/280064-hopper-q-install-tips.html
I didn't see anything in that document about diplexers.

It only mentions that the Hopper doesn't support OTA at this time, which everybody already knows.

I didn't see anything in that document about diplexers.

It only mentions that the Hopper doesn't support OTA at this time, which everybody already knows.
i misread it said backfeeding... not exactly diplexers

Either way i'm assuming it messes with the frequencies that the hopper/joey system uses.

i misread it said backfeeding... not exactly diplexers

Either way i'm assuming it messes with the frequencies that the hopper/joey system uses.
It certainly seems that way, in my case. Luckily, OTA is not a dealbreaker for me. But, for those who are waiting for OTA functionality, be aware that you may very well have to run a separate line from your OTA antenna to your Hopper(s).

Yes, diplexers are not allowed in a H/J setup. The backfeeds or OTA signals operate in the same frequency range as the MOCA signals and will cause severe interference. If you want OTA or to mirror a TV you will need a separate cable.

My 1H/1J installation went quickly and well. Once everything checked out, I asked the installer to insert the diplexers back in line, so as to avoid having to go climbing once they released the OTA module. It seemd to work OK, so I sent him on his way.

Well...The system worked fine for a while. BUT, the Joey started intermittently losing connection to the Hopper, eventually not being to locate the Hopper at all. And, when I set them both to pop-up notifications for Moca, both units popped up low signal warnings.

I removed the diplexers, and full signal was restored. No pop-ups. No searching for other devices. This doesn't bode well for the future of the OTA module. Even if they do release one, or update the Hopper to be compatible with off-the-shelf usb tuners, it may very well mean running a separate cable(s):( from the antenna.

I could have told you that wouldn't work, Gary. :p Same reason you can't diplex into a DirecTV SWM system. No way around it, it's going to need a second line.

Well that screws me out of the hopper ,IF I can't use my same cable for ota and sat using diplexors. This hopper sounds like a total waste of time now. I have a terk 44 on my dish now that gets me perfect 100 strength on all my ota channels. I need the sat receiver to power the antenna. Oh well I guess I won't have to spend the extra money now to try to upgrade on my own.

Well that screws me out of the hopper ,IF I can't use my same cable for ota and sat using diplexors. This hopper sounds like a total waste of time now. I have a terk 44 on my dish now that gets me perfect 100 strength on all my ota channels. I need the sat receiver to power the antenna. Oh well I guess I won't have to spend the extra money now to try to upgrade on my own.

I wouldn't think about D* either. Their SWM system works the same way.

The bandwidth chart says "future use", so I too thought this could be done. Seems the future is now. :(

MikeD-C05 said:

Haven't had the opportunity to try yet but theoretically if you diplexed before the node in the sat 1 or 2 lines you should still be able to still power the terk and only have to run a second lone from the pre-node diplexer. Definitely make sure any open connection is terminated or you will almost definitely receive interference between the ota and moca signals.

Haven't had the opportunity to try yet but theoretically if you diplexed before the node in the sat 1 or 2 lines you should still be able to still power the terk and only have to run a second lone from the pre-node diplexer. Definitely make sure any open connection is terminated or you will almost definitely receive interference between the ota and moca signals.
Sounds like it would work. But I will have to wait and see if this actually works from someone on this site,before I would invest again in new technology . OTA is very important to me in my situation. I'm a "mover" and like to get my own locals as well as a nearby ALL hd city like Houston. Also LOVE Metv and don't want to do without it.

I have my FM antenna diplexed into my current Dish setup. Since I'm not going to have a Joey since I hardly ever use my second TV, will I be OK leaving the diplexer in, or will the Hopper broadcast noise out the antenna trying to find a non-existent Joey?

Sounds like it would work. But I will have to wait and see if this actually works from someone on this site,before I would invest again in new technology . OTA is very important to me in my situation. I'm a "mover" and like to get my own locals as well as a nearby ALL hd city like Houston. Also LOVE Metv and don't want to do without it.

Yeah, this solution would work fine. It's only after the node that you'll have issues. So, if you can run a line from a diplexer before the node, then you'll be just fine.

That was always my assumption too. Looking at the frequency specs it was alwasy pretty obvious a standard diplexer at the hopper would not work, If that's where GaryPen's was installed I'm surprised Moca worked at all.

I would think a pair of diplexers before the node to get the signal into the house would be OK.

GARYPEN - can you confirm where each piece was installed. Was it:
dish->diplexer->node->diplexer->hopper
or
dish->diplexer->diplexer->node->hopper

I would think a pair of diplexers before the node to get the signal into the house would be OK.

GARYPEN - can you confirm where each piece was installed. Was it:
dish->diplexer->node->diplexer->hopper
or
dish->diplexer->diplexer->node->hopper
If I diplexed in before the node, but out after the node, like in your 1st example, wouldn't I still have the same issue of interference on the Moca network?

If I diplexed in/out before the node, like in your 2nd example, I'd still have to run two cables to the receiver. The point of diplexing is to avoid that.

Mine was switch>node>diplex>diplex>Hopper

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts