General 508/510 questions...

oregonxfile

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 26, 2004
Any significant differences between these 2 units? I don't need or want a 522, at least for now. This will be my 1st DVR from Dish, with several yrs. with just the basic receivers working well. Any pitfalls I need to be on the lookout for? Dish has this deal where you can give them 25 bucks plus your old receiver in exchange for a new DVR. Good deal, or has someone done this and not gotten what they expected? I have a 4900 and a 300 series receiver now (about 3 -4 yrs old each) Finally, will I notice less compression artifacts with the newer receivers? I have a 2 yr old Sony connected via S inputs. Good, strong signal on both sats, so I'm wondering if the artidacting is due to the signal coming fron the broadcasters (only certain channels) or is it just time to upgrade my receivers??

Thanks,

X

The 508 and the 510 are the same, except that the 510 has a larger hard drive. A big difference between the two is that the 508 does not require a monthly fee, while the 510 will cost you $5/month. I have a 501 (same as 508 except an even smaller hard drive). These units have been around for a few years now, so they work fairly well.

You may not be able to get a 508 from E*, they have discontinued making them, but you can still buy refirbished ones from the internet vendors. $25 dollars plus your old 4900 seems like a pretty good deal to me.

you wont notice any picture difference...its still compressed

The 508 is a stable machine...and no BS fee :)

But if they are giving you a 510 for your 4900, its worth it

When I upgraded, I paid $25 for the 510 and I still got to keep my old box, just had it deactivated in place of 510. Then I sold on ebay and came out some 50 bucks ahead. Sure you don't get to keep box, they offered me $50 if I gave E* my old box.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts