General HD questions and 811

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

sprintcarcrazy

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Dec 18, 2003
Only having the 811 for a week and veiwing HD through dish and OTA locals I have a few questions.

1. I noticed last night that showtime HD had a movie on but it seemed not to be in Wide screen format. When I change to HDNET and others, I get the fill wide screen effect, this was as it was a SD broadcast.

2. While watching CSI on a OTA HD channel, CSI was in full wide screen but preview and commercials caused the screen to go back to the square leaving the sides with extra room so I had to look at it that way or hit the zoom on the dish or aspect change on the TV. Is this normal ?

3. Certain HD channels, like PBS HD, Disc HD and HDNET Hockey, the picture quality is totally spectacular. Others HD Movies seem good, but not as good. Are some of these using special cameras for HD and some not ? Some ESPN games look awesome, some look normal.

4. I have a new 26 IN widescreen LCD, I know screen burn is not as bad on these as Plasma, but what would be a cause for concern ? I noticed CBS had a translucent logo on the borrom right most of the time, our PBS staion has a logo in the upper left, in soft colors most of the time.

5. I have a X-box I want to put on the TV, the kids have their own so it won't get used that much but what are the dangers for screen burn using it.

Thanks

I will try to answer some of these the best I can, but I am in the same boat as you. New to HD in the past 1-2 weeks with my new 811. My responses are in CAPS!

Only having the 811 for a week and veiwing HD through dish and OTA locals I have a few questions.

1. I noticed last night that showtime HD had a movie on but it seemed not to be in Wide screen format. When I change to HDNET and others, I get the fill wide screen effect, this was as it was a SD broadcast.

SOME HD PROGRAMMING IS DONE IS 4:3, MOST IS 16:9 BUT NOT ALL.

2. While watching CSI on a OTA HD channel, CSI was in full wide screen but preview and commercials caused the screen to go back to the square leaving the sides with extra room so I had to look at it that way or hit the zoom on the dish or aspect change on the TV. Is this normal ?

COMMERCIALS ARE NOT YET FILMED IN HD, THERE FOR THEY GO BACK TO THE 4:3 AND WHEN THE PROGRAMMING STARTS BACK UP, YOUR SCREEN WIDENS FOR THE HD SIGNAL. THIS IS TOTALLY NORMAL AND WILL BE LIKE THIS FOR YEARS I WOULD SUSPECT.

3. Certain HD channels, like PBS HD, Disc HD and HDNET Hockey, the picture quality is totally spectacular. Others HD Movies seem good, but not as good. Are some of these using special cameras for HD and some not ? Some ESPN games look awesome, some look normal.

I NOTICE THE SAME THING. THEY PUT THEM ON THE HD CHANNELS BUT ARE NOT TRULY FILMED IN HD. THEY HAVE A GOOD PICTURE BUT NOT A GREAT PICTURE.

4. I have a new 26 IN widescreen LCD, I know screen burn is not as bad on these as Plasma, but what would be a cause for concern ? I noticed CBS had a translucent logo on the borrom right most of the time, our PBS staion has a logo in the upper left, in soft colors most of the time.

I WOULDN'T WORRY ABOUT BURN IN, THEY ARE TRANSLUCENT WHICH HELPS, BUT DOESN'T ELIMINATE THE POSSIBILITY.

5. I have a X-box I want to put on the TV, the kids have their own so it won't get used that much but what are the dangers for screen burn using it.

I HAVE HEARD VIDEO GAMES CAN BE A PROBLEM, BUT HERE AGAIN I WOULDN'T WORRY ABOUT IT. I HAVE PLAYED THE PS2 ON MY RPTV FOR OVER A YEAR NOW AND NO ILL EFFECTS.

Thanks

YOUR WELCOME, HOPE IT HELPS A LITTLE BIT.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)