Get True FTA sats using Dish 300

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Nasa on 119 I think , clasic arts show case useto be free on 148 but don't know for sure. Your better off geting a old super dish with the 121 lnb and get any ku band fta bird. Or direct tv world direct dish for 95 and repoint it to a bird you want .

If you have some money just buy a ku lnb and 36" or larger dish. Only your locatin and view of the sky are your limits

wrong dish, wrong LNB:

True FTA, none.
You can get 119° Dish Network satellite for NASA and Angel One.
They are not encrypted. (maybe a shopping or demo channel, too)

You need a linear LNB, not the circular that is on the Dish 300.
And a larger dish would be wise, too.
However, here's sample mod to a similar dish showing White Springs FTA.
http://www.satelliteguys.us/free-ai...ofitting-phase-iii-ku-maybe-3.html#post883196

edit:
Yea, Rocket is right in his suggestion of dishes.
SuperDish from Dish Network. World Direct dish from DirecTV. Both have correct LNBs
Or buy a proper 36" dish 'n LNB, perhaps from one of our gold sponsors.
They generally have promotions with good deals.

Yes, a Fortec is fine. Or a GeoSatPro.
The latter is on promotion by one of our Gold Sponsors right now, SatelliteAV, and comes with an appropriate LNB.
I have one of each dish, as well as some surplus commercial dishes.

True FTA, none.
You can get 119° Dish Network satellite for NASA and Angel One.
They are not encrypted. .....

I keep seeing this from several people on this forum, and pretty much ONLY this forum. Ie this concept of "True FTA" not including FTA DBS channels and some other channels.
In my opinion, True FTA is ANYTHING that is not encrypted. So I believe that should include any channel on Dishnet, DTV, or NIMIQ-BEV that isn't encrypted too. To look at it any other way would leave you with only a handful of stations that are intended for public viewing, and exclude 90% of the channels we all watch.
While some channels are to some extend aimed at us hobbiests, most of the FTA stuff we watch is not intended for us, and we're just lucky that they don't choose to encrypt it. So there is really no difference between a DN channel that is FTA and any other channel that happens to be FTA. Certainly the FTA receiver doesn't see any difference.

To me, what is NOT "True FTA" is when pirated receivers receive encrypted channels, ie what the pirate sites incorrectly call FTA. I understand that the reason for this "True" concept used here is largely to differentiate from what we do vs what the pirates do, however I see no reason to change our correct definition of terms just because of the hackers. I'd rather just say that what the pirates do is NOT FTA.

Just my opinion, and I'm sticking to it. :)

I keep seeing this from several people on this forum, and pretty much ONLY this forum. Ie this concept of "True FTA" not including FTA DBS channels and some other channels.
In my opinion, True FTA is ANYTHING that is not encrypted. So I believe that should include any channel on Dishnet, DTV, or NIMIQ-BEV that isn't encrypted too. To look at it any other way would leave you with only a handful of stations that are intended for public viewing, and exclude 90% of the channels we all watch.
While some channels are to some extend aimed at us hobbiests, most of the FTA stuff we watch is not intended for us, and we're just lucky that they don't choose to encrypt it. So there is really no difference between a DN channel that is FTA and any other channel that happens to be FTA. Certainly the FTA receiver doesn't see any difference.

To me, what is NOT "True FTA" is when pirated receivers receive encrypted channels, ie what the pirate sites incorrectly call FTA. I understand that the reason for this "True" concept used here is largely to differentiate from what we do vs what the pirates do, however I see no reason to change our correct definition of terms just because of the hackers. I'd rather just say that what the pirates do is NOT FTA.

Just my opinion, and I'm sticking to it. :)

Well, Dish Network is broadcasting the Nasa channel, and although it isn't encrypted, if there weren't any Dish Network subscribers would the NASA channel still be there? Without the money from customers to maintain their broadcasts and equipment, the NASA channel would probably not be up there anymore (at least not from Dish Network), free or not. As far as I'm concerned it's definitely a FTA channel, but not a True FTA channel b/c it is still being funded by customers.

All this being said, I really don't think it matters what we call it as long as we are enjoying our hobby and approach it in a completely legal manner.

Last edited:
I agree, BJ. FTA is FTA

The term "True TFA" sounds as goofy to me as "Reverse Discrimination" does.

"Free" To Air as the pirates do it comes with the risk of lawsuit by the provider and being under the shadow of breaking Federal law under DMCA and other USCs.

I don't know how anyone who steals (by getting info on how to do it on the internet) can feel free. It is not that difficult technically, for Law Enforcement or the Pay TV providers to track pirates down...

If the uplinker does not encrypt the stream, what difference does it make whether end users or advertisers fund the production and transmission?

When I pledge and donate to Montana PBS, does that make it any less "True FTA"?

Globecast is another example. Although they have far more channels in the clear, they are still a pay provider, just like Dish Network. Most of the free channels on 97w are uplinked by Globecast.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)