Getting a new roof, what do I need to know?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

loubon

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Oct 30, 2010
New Jersey
Hi,

Getting a new roof in a few weeks and wanted to know if there was anything in particular I need to plan for with my Dish. Not looking to move it or anything but was wondering if I need to have Dish come out afterwards or do I need to write anything down regarding positioning or anything like that. Total new roof not a second layer. I'm assuming they will put it back in basically the same spot but I didn't know how sensitive the positioning was if they were off a bit.

TIA

Hi,

Getting a new roof in a few weeks and wanted to know if there was anything in particular I need to plan for with my Dish. Not looking to move it or anything but was wondering if I need to have Dish come out afterwards or do I need to write anything down regarding positioning or anything like that. Total new roof not a second layer. I'm assuming they will put it back in basically the same spot but I didn't know how sensitive the positioning was if they were off a bit.

TIA
Personally, I would get it removed from the roof completely, and put on a pole, or even a pole mounted on an eves or gable mount. I would NOT spend all the money to replace my roof, only to poke new holes in it for the satellite dish.

I agree with Primestar on the dish -- put it on a pole or gable.

You may already know this, but don't make the same mistake my wife and I made when we had a large concrete patio installed.

In short, we paid off the concrete contractor on the same day he finished the job. A few weeks later the concrete supplier (different company) sent us a $4000 notice of pending lien on our house -- the concrete contractor did not pay his bill.

After a week or two of phone calls and hassle we finally got the contractor to pay his bill and then we were clear.

What we should have done is delayed our final payment until his suppliers provided a 'lien release'. Sub-contractors have the same lien rights as suppliers, so make sure you get a lien release from them too if your roofer uses them. In our case, the concrete contractor had only his employees do the work, so no sub contractors.

It could happen with any contractor who uses suppliers or sub-contractors.

As for roofs, the last two roofs I needed I did myself. It was long, hot, and boring work but I saved a lot of $$$.

Last edited:
I majorly favor a gable mount. No bumping into a pole.

I have a roof mount today. If I move to a new dish, they will use the same mount or a gable

Or I go to a minimum Dish subscription until I watch the HDD savings.

Reactions: charlesrshell
My dish is mounted to the side of my house. That seems to be the best alternative to a roof mount and to a pole mount but the installer in my area balked at the side of the house. It took some convincing to get him to do it (the old one wasn't mounted to a stud) and it took him 2 tries to hit a stud but he finally found one and attached the dish. It seems pretty solid now.

When I had a new roof installed I called DIsh and told them that I did not want the satellite dish to be re-installed on my new roof (why put holes in a brand new roof). Because I was a long-time customer (over 20 years) Dish sent someone to install a pole mount, and they did it for free!

It has been about 5 years now, and the pole mount has never given me any problems; and it is much easier to brush snow off the dish with it on the ground (I don't need to do that very often, but when I do, I'm glad that the dish is on the ground).

We have a tile roof so my installer did a gable mount. We have a two story house so it was 25 feet high and I held the ladder.

But all he did was mount the dish and left the cable hanging. He wanted to drill into our house stucco to put in cable fasteners. Not wanting holes in my house wall, I got some very long zip ties and attached them to the gutter myself because the installer didn't bring any.

Reactions: TheKrell

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)