Getting aTiVo Premier Xl in today

gadgtfreek

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
May 29, 2006
Lower Alabama
Decided to retire the S3 HD XL and try out the new Premier XL. Overall Im not happy with Directv's locals in HD, as compared to OTA, so it's time to hook it back up :)

Some of my locals need as much help as they can get. I also miss the ability to download a Amazon VOD file in HD, excellent PQ.

Did you get the refurb offer for the XL from TIVO last night? Price looked good (I think it was $199 with commitment). Let me know if you didn't see that Jason, and I can forward you a copy.

And be advised, that one of my complaints with the Premiere line is that the tuner is not as sensitive as the S3. It does not pull in weak OTA and it is the first box to drop out on weak cable signals.

I ordered last week, did not see it. My year was up on the S2 XL, so I just reupped a year and got the Premier XL. I had not been using the TiVo S3 for a bit now because of this new ent center I got (no room), but the Premier is much smaller and will fit.

On a larger screen, I just prefer OTA if possible.

That sucks on the tuner. Im marginal on Fox, so I'll just record that stuff on Directv, NBC, CBS, CW, ABC and PBS are all 100% for me.

I leave mine on. Yes, the SD one is a little faster, but I also think the whiners exaggerate the issue.

don't know what the fuss is all about. my premiere is set to the hd gui and i have no problems, nor do i think it is horribly slow.

The bugs with the HD interface are pretty much gone now. It is a bit slower, but I like the PiP. They have really come a long way on speeding it up.

Ah, cool. I like the PiP too. I'm reducing my Directv service and using more Amazon VOD, mainly for the local channels. PQ is not very good on larger screens, but the TV episode I can download as a 1080i file to the TiVo looks outstanding.

I subscribe to some TV series that I cannot get in HD. You can set Amazon to autodownload to your TiVo. Essentially the next morning it appears on your TiVo.

Well, still ove the premier, but my Dad has been outta work for a long time and is now down do internet, and OTA to a HDTV. Im gonna let him use the Premier so he can at least have DVR functionality, between that and the Roku he should be good to go. I changed my new Dish service to a 722k, and with the OTA tuner I can record 4 things at once. No loss on my end, will help him out though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)