Getting bad reception from Dish's OTA antenna. Any suggestions?

OTA signals can be challenging. I had to move my antenna 3 different times before I found the sweet spot and reliably received all signals for my area. Interference can be a weird thing, The first location I chose, in theory should of been ideal, wide open, etc. But it was no good, only thing I could figure is a nearby power line was causing issues. The sweet spot I found happened to be right next to a cedar tree, go figure. Trial and error and a healthy dose of patience....that's all I can say.

Reactions: TheKrell
I tried one at my house and had little luck with it. I will say that I am 50 miles from the antennas and it is challenging even with a big antenna.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Agreed OTA signals are trial and error, more of a hobby. An antenna that works at one location won't necessarily work at another.

If you're not having signal issues using your TV tuner, there might not be much you can do. The OTA tuner Dish uses is generally a poor performer and in a lot of situations it just doesn't work well. My suspicion is it doesn't deal with multipath interference well.

Well.. I missed all of these replies, even though I have the OP set for email notifications. Weird.
The tech came out and immediately gave me the disclaimer about houses, buildings, and trees in the way. I mentioned the results from antennaweb.org and tvfool and insisted on the signals aren't guaranteed, etc. He looked at the Televes antenna that I have and immediately suggested that it was installed so low at the bottom of an upward-sloping roof that my own house is even causing interference. He moved the antenna to the highest peak of the roof, about 28 feet off the ground, and we found 93 channels in the channel scan. The normal locals look even better and tune faster than before. I will continue to monitor the behavior, obviously, and the amplifier remains plugged in.

My parents are having one installed Friday AM. Will post back with results when I have them.

Make sure that they install the antenna as high as aesthetically possible.

FYI, an HOA cannot prescribe where you may or may not put your antenna.

Antenna placement is TOTALLY dependent on ability to receive OTA signals.

If below the roofline works, that's OK, but if it does not, the homeowner may raise the antenna up to 12ft. above the roof.

OTA TV reception is deemed to be a public safety concern and may not be unreasonably restricted in a way that precludes reception.

The ONE exception is in Historical districts where esthetics may be considered.

Over-the-Air Reception Devices Rule - if you have insomnia.

Try googling Televes it will come up it is supposed to be VHF/UHF. If DISH is giving it free I have doubts about how good it really is.
You'll have to look at a map if you don't know the area, but I installed one in El Paso, IL today, pointing at 241 degrees, 1 story up. Picked up 22 channels - all the Peoria channels, 17 out of Decatur and 3 out of Champaign (77 signal strength) with sub channels. I also installed one in South of Bloomington, pointing at about 300 degrees, picked up 37 channels. I'd call that pretty good

Make sure that they install the antenna as high as aesthetically possible.[/QUOTE]

The Lazy tech that originally installed mine wanted to install it about three feet off the ground on the floor joist of a deck.He is Stupid and Lazy. I finally got him to install it on a post that I already had another ota. He only installed it about eight feet high because he refused to use his ladder to put it higher. I told Dish not to ever send him to my house again. I got Dish to send another tech out to move it to the top of the pole. It has good signals now.

That's a side effect common on some receivers; it's very unlikely the antenna is causing that

I have this problem as well. Nothing has changed in my setup for years, except for swapping 2 722's for 2 HWS & the ota dongle. Never had this problem with the 722's
only with the more expensive & supposedly more advanced HWS. Really ticks me off that we pay more for better technology, only to take steps backward. Wish Dish would install
the ota tuners in the Hopper series.

Reactions: dare2be
A month or so ago, Dish came out and installed their OTA antenna for free; it is a small, white antenna that mounts on a small pole-arm that screws to the edge of my roof, not the one that clips to the Dish....

Wow! You hit the jackpot!! Although I didn't need one and they rolled truck to replace a fried USB OTA model. Two Techs showed up at my door with two small flat boxes saying that he was here to install two UHF antenna. And then said he was confused after seeing the monster on my roof already. So I got two new dual OTA modules, but the antennas they were offering were the kind you lick and stick to a window.

I just want to know how you got i from Dish for free?

Tom-- just saw your reply. Dish and Univision, a Spanish channel, continue to fight. I called to ask about it, and they offered the OTA so that I can pick up my local Univision channel. Try that.

I resurface this initial issue because my OTA antenna continues to act wacky. I can attest that, AT TIMES, it tunes to a channel immediately (with a bit of a delay, but I imagine that it's normal since it's going via USB. A satellite channel tunes instantaneously). So, I can say that my antenna works fine. But, many times, like right now for example, I will direct tune to a local channel and it continues to try to get a signal; it hasn't found any of my local channels in the last 20 minutes. Mind you, when I go into OTA in the settings, all the channels in the guide show a strong (100) signal. I just went into each channel and let it determine the signal strength (in the IN GUIDE column). I can now tune instantly to each channel. Wow.

So. Is it that the tuner "forgets" the signal strength of each channel, or something like that?

Tom-- just saw your reply. Dish and Univision, a Spanish channel, continue to fight. I called to ask about it, and they offered the OTA so that I can pick up my local Univision channel. Try that.

I resurface this initial issue because my OTA antenna continues to act wacky. I can attest that, AT TIMES, it tunes to a channel immediately (with a bit of a delay, but I imagine that it's normal since it's going via USB. A satellite channel tunes instantaneously). So, I can say that my antenna works fine. But, many times, like right now for example, I will direct tune to a local channel and it continues to try to get a signal; it hasn't found any of my local channels in the last 20 minutes. Mind you, when I go into OTA in the settings, all the channels in the guide show a strong (100) signal. I just went into each channel and let it determine the signal strength (in the IN GUIDE column). I can now tune instantly to each channel. Wow.

So. Is it that the tuner "forgets" the signal strength of each channel, or something like that?

This is a known software error. Not an error with the antenna (assuming you have good signal strength otherwise).

I just got the same antenna installed for free today by Dish. However, he installed mine in a vertical position, instead of horizontal. The box says it can be installed in either orientation, but it just seems like the horizontal way would pull in better signal...any thoughts?

I just got the same antenna installed for free today by Dish. However, he installed mine in a vertical position, instead of horizontal. The box says it can be installed in either orientation, but it just seems like the horizontal way would pull in better signal...any thoughts?

Yeah. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought all broadcast TV is horizontally polarized to improve changes of the signal bouncing off the ionosphere (or the ground) and reaching your antenna. Most antennas are flat and horizontal to capture the maximum signal. I am very suspicious of the comment on your box.

Reactions: comfortably_numb
Yeah. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought all broadcast TV is horizontally polarized to improve changes of the signal bouncing off the ionosphere (or the ground) and reaching your antenna. Most antennas are flat and horizontal to capture the maximum signal. I am very suspicious of the comment on your box.

Yeah I wasn’t sure of the science but just that nearly all the old antennas have multiple rods protruding from it and are horizontal/parallel to the ground.

Wonder how hard it will be to get the installer back?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I called DISHTV today because I'm out of contract and was offered an OTA with free installation + a few other perk$. The rep didn't know what it looked like + couldn't find a link to what the service tech would be bringing out if I approve another two-year contract.

Does anyone know what Dish is using these days for OTA? Is it good or junk?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts