Getting EA with existing dishes

theGrok

Original poster
Jul 28, 2009
USA
I currently have 1 dish 500 with a DPP head pointed to 119/110, and another dish 500 with a single DP head pointed at 61.5 with the lnb out going into the DPP LNB in.

I would like to get 72/77/61.5 to get the new HD. Can I achieve this by pointing (somehow) the dish that is currently 119/110 to get 72.7/77? Or some other combination.

Thanks.

I have a read a couple of other threads, but I am not to clear if this can be done. Thanks.

Assuming that you are in an EA area, you could aim the 110/119 to 61.5/72 and the 61.5 to 77 (which you probably won't need). You won't have much luck with a 500 pointed at 72/77.

Or you could call Dish and get them to install a 1000.4 dish, possibly for free.

Gotta agree with navychop there. Actually never tried that scenario, but my thoughts would be that the dish is too small, and you're going to have a definite problem due to LNB spacing and that 500 dish.

Go with the 1000.4 and eliminate your 61.5 dish altogether.

Hi all, the other option if you can live without the 77 satellite would be to leave the wing dish that is on 61.5 alone and move the other to 72. You will end up with one side of the dual LNB pointing at air but it will still get the other two satellites just fine. Just run a check switch and you would be good to go.

Later, DC

Gotta agree with navychop there. Actually never tried that scenario, but my thoughts would be that the dish is too small, and you're going to have a definite problem due to LNB spacing and that 500 dish.

Go with the 1000.4 and eliminate your 61.5 dish altogether.
I agree that the 1000.4 is the best way. However, several satguys here have reported that the 500 works for 61.5/72.

"Close enough." :p

Actually, the 1000.4 solution is the best, especially for the long term. I'd say D-C's suggestion is a close second, for signal strength. Then the 500 aimed at 61.5 & 72.7. See this thread.

On edit: I just noticed this was my twelve thousandth post. Guess I need to send in the certification fee, and buy the Pub a round. ;)

Last edited:
10 people

Some people don't seem to be able to do math. Yes 110/119 is 9 but the sats are really 61.5 /72.5 that's 10 degrees so there is only a difference of 1 degree tween these to setup. So that would only be be .5 degree off on both sats.

110/119 is 9 degrees and 61.5/72 is 11.5 degrees. How can a Dish 500 work on 61.5/72?

Hi, it works because the satellites are very strong and there is a little fudge room. What happens is the dish is pointed between the two satellites splitting the signal and losing about 10 points in signal quality on each satellite over a fully peaked dish 500 on just one satellite. The signal quality will still be well above threshold but might have a bit more rain fade then a dish 1000.4 or two fully peaked Dish 500s.

Hope this helps, DC

stand corrected

:eek: I think you meant 72.7 and 11.2 deg.

Which would come out to 1.1 deg off on either side. Looked general location on Lyngsat on the all sat page lists Nimiq 5 as 72.5. It's corected on the detail page. I don't know why they can't put the .7 instead of .5 on general page.

Hi. I have a two 500 dishes- one with a single LNB pointed at 61.5 and the other with a dual LNB pointed at 110/119. Swapped LNB heads and I could see 61.5 but not 72.7. I even moved the dish so other LNB picked up 61.5 (just in case I was using the wrong LNB), but no 72.7.

I live in North Carolina so maybe the signal strength is lower here but I used a signal meter to get the strongest 6.15 possible and never saw 72.7.

I'm picking up a used 1000.4 and DPP44 switch on eBay and going that route.

It doesn't cost anything to trying repointing your antennas, but make sure you mark the antenna with a marker so you can get it pointed back to where it was- especially if you have don't have a signal meter.

You did set the skew?
You did cover the 61.5 (western on dish) while searching for 72.7 and vv?
The strongest 61.5 will not be exactly where you want to get 72.7.
Use thumb presses on the rim to know which way to go.
-Ken

One over-looked question here. Do you have an HD receiver? If so, get the 1000.4 dish and take one of your dishes down. Or, if you have line of sight to western arc, get a 1000.2 dish and get higher signal strengths!

One over-looked question here. Do you have an HD receiver? If so, get the 1000.4 dish and take one of your dishes down. Or, if you have line of sight to western arc, get a 1000.2 dish and get higher signal strengths!

I do have 722k and I have turned snobby and really only watch HD. But I do need 61.5 because my locals are there. I am in Burlington, VT and I last I checked EA was not officialy available. Has this changed?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts