Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
Hard to believe that the guy who runs this site, whos main focus is communications, and a guy who lives less than a half mile from the ARRL and W1AW does not have his ham license!

Well I want to change that in 2024!

Our local police department is moving to our states digital system next month and I have been working with our police department to get ready for the move, as I am the one who streams their radios online to Broadcastify. They put up a test feed for me and I was having trouble picking it up in the house, so last week as a christmas gift for me I put up a brand new Diamond D3000N Antenna on the roof. The Antenna is 40 feet in the air, on top of that our house is on top of a hill. :)

With that new antenna I am now picking up the. new digital system... and since I got the new antenna... which can also transmit at up to 200 watts... this may be the time to get into ham radio. :)

So how do I get started? What advice can people give? What kind of euipment should I be saving up for?

Without Morse Code, I should be able to pass the test without an issues.

So where do I go from here?

Reactions: k.r.
You better get your ham license or I will have to kick you off this site.

In all seriousness, find a local club in your area and start going to the meetings and start making local contacts. Most clubs around you including ARRL give monthly exams. Some places even are starting to do the ham in a day program. As far a radios it can be a ford vs chevy vs dodge vs etc thing, but I would start with a dual band VHF/UHF rig. But first find out what digital mode is dominant in your area. Then go with that radio. If no dominance go with Yaesu and Yaesu system fusion. It is the best out right now and the easiest to program and get on the air with. I could go on and on and on. But just like with satellite stuff....we tell the newbies to ask questions and ask more questions. Start with the above and ask ask ask. PM me or call me on the phone or whatever. I been in this over 30 years, I can do you like I did Brian. After a few phone calls he was off to the races.

Definitely contact your local ham/repeater group. FB is a good place to start. So is ARRL.
Many will have Zoom courses to help prep you. As you advance, they are very helpful in teaching the different theories to make the test easier. And. Good luck!

Reactions: alnielsen
Let me add that it helps to read, read, read reputable info in the beginning. Reading good stuff is more efficient than only asking questions or watching youtubes. I see many asking questions on facebook and getting questionable info in return.

There are so many areas in amateur radio, you need to figure out what interests you. Start learning there.

VE7RC / 7J1AQH
Licenced/active 52+ years

Reactions: Cham and TRG
Yeah, let me point out, Facebook is NOT a good source of information. There are some good ones out there, but most of the ham radio facebook groups are just cesspools.

Reactions: Titanium
Hard to believe that the guy who runs this site, whos main focus is communications, and a guy who lives less than a half mile from the ARRL and W1AW does not have his ham license!

Well I want to change that in 2024!

Our local police department is moving to our states digital system next month and I have been working with our police department to get ready for the move, as I am the one who streams their radios online to Broadcastify. They put up a test feed for me and I was having trouble picking it up in the house, so last week as a christmas gift for me I put up a brand new Diamond D3000N Antenna on the roof. The Antenna is 40 feet in the air, on top of that our house is on top of a hill. :)

With that new antenna I am now picking up the. new digital system... and since I got the new antenna... which can also transmit at up to 200 watts... this may be the time to get into ham radio. :)

So how do I get started? What advice can people give? What kind of euipment should I be saving up for?

Without Morse Code, I should be able to pass the test without an issues.

So where do I go from here?
I have been thinking about one myself in case of a SHTF event and cell service does not work. My small town has an active HAM radio group per Facebook. But will a HAM radio reach my brother who lives about 25 miles away? There is a tall tower about two miles away that I am assuming is a Ham radio tower.

But will a HAM radio reach my brother who lives about 25 miles away?
It will, but it depends on the radio. A hand held radio, no unless one or both of you live on a peak above average terrain. You would need to use a repeater and then you would be good to go. Now if SHTF, the repeater will most likely be down. Then you would need an HF radio or "shortwave". An example I have a friend that lives 24 miles away. We cannot talk radio to radio on VHF or UHF. I am on a peak but he is behind one down below it. However, we talk on HF just fine.

Reactions: N5XZS
Been doing ham training online, and not doing too bad so far. I think that as of today I could probably pass both tests without a problem. I haven't looked at the 3rd yet.

I have been looking at starter radios and am looking at the Baofeng UV-17 Pro GPS unit. This is a Dual Band unit that is Analog only. I got to be honest I don't much about digital radio yet to explore that side of things, so I think this is the best to start of basic.

You would think being a half mile from the ARRL there would be a lot of ham resources around, but I havent found any yet.

A good friend of mine is going through the process now, too.

I'm thinking about it but I'm strapped right now, but maybe down the road

A good friend of mine is going through the process now, too.

I'm thinking about it but I'm strapped right now, but maybe down the road
Strapped for what? Money? It is just a few bucks to take the test. Grab a radio later.
Time? I understand that.

Been doing ham training online, and not doing too bad so far. I think that as of today I could probably pass both tests without a problem. I haven't looked at the 3rd yet.

I have been looking at starter radios and am looking at the Baofeng UV-17 Pro GPS unit. This is a Dual Band unit that is Analog only. I got to be honest I don't much about digital radio yet to explore that side of things, so I think this is the best to start of basic.

You would think being a half mile from the ARRL there would be a lot of ham resources around, but I havent found any yet.
I was looking at base units, but they are pricy!! Will handhelds do as good as base units. I am guessing the range is a lot shorter also.

It will, but it depends on the radio. A hand held radio, no unless one or both of you live on a peak above average terrain. You would need to use a repeater and then you would be good to go. Now if SHTF, the repeater will most likely be down. Then you would need an HF radio or "shortwave". An example I have a friend that lives 24 miles away. We cannot talk radio to radio on VHF or UHF. I am on a peak but he is behind one down below it. However, we talk on HF just fine.
I am on a hill, but my brother lives in a deep valley. I did find out there is a repeater about three miles away from me and there is another one on the other side of my brother. I am assuming we both would need tall towers and base units to talk to each other. This is where I found out about the towers.

Strapped for what? Money? It is just a few bucks to take the test. Grab a radio later.
Time? I understand that.
Time, mostly. I just have so much going on, with work, being a single father of TWO teenage girls, this puppy I didn;t need at this stage in life lol....

If you want to just slowly slide into Ham you could start with 2 meter. 2 meter can reach farther than folks think and with repeaters you can literally talk to the world. I regularly talk with folks in Spain, Ireland, and Guam with the repeaters and with just a 2 meter antenna I have regular conversations with guys 40 miles away. My in house rig is a Kenwood TM-281 running off a Jetstream JTPS28M power supply. It works great. I also have an Etekcity UV-5RA and a Baofeng UV-B5 handhelds for the past 10 years and they too work great.

Ham setup-1.jpg

Reactions: HipKat