getting programs off dvr

leahnadine

Original poster
Jul 20, 2012
northern indiana
I switched from DISH to DIRECTV. Directv is installed BUT I have not yet cancelled DISH service. Satellite dish has been replaced though and directv equipment has been installed. How do I get my programs off the DVR I used with the DISH service? The installer assured me it was easy but has not returned my call on how to do it. I feel pretty hoodwinked by someone showing up at my door, noticing my old satellite dish and thinking we needed updated and when I agreed they cam the next morning before I could think to get my programs off the DVR. I miss the DISH service, directv is confusing. Please help if you can.

The only way to get them off is to record them onto a DVD recorder, video capture device on a PC, VHS or similar. You have to play them back and record in real time. You can't just copy the files to your PC or DirecTV receiver.

If you can't get a Dish signal anymore, then you only have a few days at most before the receivers lose authorization.

Your installer either lied or was an idiot.

I vote for "lied" to get the sale. Maybe you have a limited time to cancel DirecTV and stay with Dish?

DVR PROBLEM

I currently have DISH and DIRECTV services. Before I disconnect or cancel my DISH service I need to get my saved programs off of the DVR. The DIRECTV was installed last week so the DISH satellite and other equipment is gone, DIRECTV equipment in its place. I have the DVR to send back with the other DISH equipment.

Can the programming be retrieved from my old DISH DVR at this point or is it too late? :(

If retrievable, how is it done?
thank you.:)

NEVER buy any TV service from a door-to-door sales person. We have companies from all over the place that go through town and try to get people to switch providers. They sell both Dish and Direct so they don't care. They even came to my door and asked what I do after my contract is up and if I wanted to switch to Direct. We called our City Hall and asked if they had a permit but they did not, which is required in our city.

A few days ago we had a customer come in for her 92 year old dad and he was duped by a sales person at the door telling him he could have a lower cost by putting in new equipment. He thought the person was from Dish since they had a Dish shirt on. The switched him to Direct and he had no idea what was going on. They even signed him up using a credit card that was not his. Not sure how that is legal.

Last edited:
didnt we have a thread on this just recently with a news story about that?
(door to door person with both Dish and Directv logo on shirt "saving" people money)

If you still have the receiver and not canceled Dish yet, I don't see a problem getting the DVR recordings off the receiver onto a DVD. I did this exact same thing. I had over 100 hours of TCM old movies recorded. I upgraded my receivers to HD receivers (2-612's,1 622). Being I owned the receiver the 100 + hours of DVR'd TCM, I did it at my pace. The 512 receiver was disconnected from the dish. I hooked it up to a DVD recorder I have. I connected the 512 to power and fired up the receiver, no input was hooked to anything. While it was trying to find a signal I hit the guide button. Once it brought up the guide I hit the the DVR button and scrolled to what I wanted recorded and started playback and hit record on the recorder. This is a real time record method, if the movie was 2 hours you need to stop the recorder after the movie is over.

Again.there was no input from dish to get a signal, just went to DVR playback and started recording. Now if you stopped Dish service they want the receiver back real quick and if you don't send it back in their time frame they will charge you for the receiver.

However, if these are movies and shows from premium channels like HBO, the DRM may kick in stopping the DVD recorder from recording the shows. At least with my recorder it will work with network shows but try to record a True Blood or movie and it shuts down after a few minutes saying the program is copy protected.

However, if these are movies and shows from premium channels like HBO, the DRM may kick in stopping the DVD recorder from recording the shows. At least with my recorder it will work with network shows but try to record a True Blood or movie and it shuts down after a few minutes saying the program is copy protected.

I have no such problem, what connections are you using to the dvd recorder?

However, if these are movies and shows from premium channels like HBO, the DRM may kick in stopping the DVD recorder from recording the shows.

Unless you're still watching programs in standard definition, maybe it's time to ditch the recorder and go with a HTPC/PC solution??

averhddvr.jpg

DISH's compressed high def should still look better than the 480i/p resolution you're watching from a DVD recorder.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts