Getting ready to buy a home theater in a box...A 211 question...

kpeercy

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 19, 2004
I have a 211 and I'm getting ready to buy a 2.1 HTIB (I don't want to run wires). Is the digital output from the 211 reliable? I've read where the 622 optical is out of synch with the picture.

I haven't seen any "out of synch" complaints in a long time. I don't have that problem with my ViP622.

If you're talking about going wireless, I don't think you need to worry about the digital output quality. You'll have other concerns.

On some HD channels it is out of synch. But that doesn't seem to be a problem with the optical output.I use mine all the time.The problem with the voice out of synch with the lips comes from E. If you get it contact cust.serv.

I haven't seen any "out of synch" complaints in a long time. I don't have that problem with my ViP622.

If you're talking about going wireless, I don't think you need to worry about the digital output quality. You'll have other concerns.

I'm not getting anything wireless. I'm getting a 2.1 surround system, which means no rear speakers or wires. The Philips model gets a far better review than the $900 Bose 2.1 system, so that's what I'm getting.

Many of us would appreciate it if you watched your language. The "B" word is not popular here. :haha

Many of us would appreciate it if you watched your language. The "B" word is not popular here. :haha

Very Very true. I walked into a Bose store the other day b/c my friend wanted me to hear it. I told him not to take me in there, but i begrudgingly we inside. I started pointing out the inadequacies to him and then a Bose guy came over there and I showed him up i front of my friend. it was fun.

Very Very true. I walked into a Bose store the other day b/c my friend wanted me to hear it. I told him not to take me in there, but i begrudgingly we inside. I started pointing out the inadequacies to him and then a Bose guy came over there and I showed him up i front of my friend. it was fun.
Friends don't let friends walk into a Blows store.

Audio synch comparison

I have had my 622 for six months and have not noticed any out of synch problems I can relate directly to the 622's optical outputs or any 622 outputs for that matter.
Most of the out of synch problems seem to come from certain HD stations but only at certain times. By far the worst out of synch issues for me has been CBS.
Before the distance local issues I received WCBS from NY. When I was having out of synch issues with it I compared it to my local OTA CBS station coming from both my 622 and thru my Sony HD TV's built in HD tuner. All three had the same audio synch delays so I ruled out the problem being either the local station or my 622.

CBS is still the worst offender by far.

I strongly suggest you avoid a theater in a box from any vendor.

The two front speakers you will get will be underperformers, the subwoofer will be flat and the receiver won't have enough amps to back up the stated watts.

For speakers, I highly recommend axiomaudio.com, a Canadian outfit that sells audiophile speakers only online and at reasonable prices -- especially from their outlet store with 10% off the new price and sonically perfect. No US sales tax and free shipping. They have a wide array of choices.

Get your speaker wire from Home Depot -- a whole spool of 12-gauge copper speaker wire will cost you a fraction of what you'd pay for Monster.

For a receiver with plenty of amps, I recommend Harmon-Kardon or Denon. Both vendors have units with a discounted online price in the $699 to $799 range (list prices are much higher -- $1,200 plus) that will give you more than enough power for most home theater spaces.

Down the road you can add rear speaker if you like. It is true that most content sends relatively little sound to the the rears.

Axiomaudio.com will not disappoint -- pick up a sub, two fronts and a center channel from their outlet store. They will totally blow away ANY home theater in a box that you would get from Bose, Costco or Circuit City.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts