Getting rid of my SWM

Status
Please reply by conversation.

evolution2147

Original poster
Mar 21, 2010
IL
Hi guys im going to be getting rid of my swm system so i can have compatibility with some of my old receivers. Right now i have an sl3-swm lnb that i will be replacing with the regular sl3 lnb. I need to have a total of 5 tuners. (and the lnb only has 4 outputs.)
My question is: are standard 2x4 or 3x4 multi-switches compatible with the sl3 lnb's? or are they only compatible with the dual lnb's?
I know i have to run a couple more lines going to the dish so im thinking about running a total of 3 lines to the dish. (2 lines to a 3x4 multi-switch and 1 line directly to a receiver) Will this work?
Thanks in advance!

You need a WB68 multiswitch. It will give you 8 tuners. They are cheap. Four lines to the dish, then 8 outputs for a total of 8 tuners.

You need a WB68 multiswitch. It will give you 8 tuners. They are cheap. Four lines to the dish, then 8 outputs for a total of 8 tuners.

Thanks for the reply! Is there any way i can use one of those 2x4 multiswitches or am i completely forced into using one of those 6x8? What is the difference? (other then the number of outputs)

Maybe you don't want to pour more money into your setup but you could always install the SWM-8 multiswitch instead of the LNB which gives you three legacy ports to run your older equipment. You'd still have to replace your LNB though but it's food for thought.

Maybe you don't want to pour more money into your setup but you could always install the SWM-8 multiswitch instead of the LNB which gives you three legacy ports to run your older equipment. You'd still have to replace your LNB though but it's food for thought.

Is the ability to have two tuners on one line the only difference between swm and the old way? because we only have 1 main dvr currently but it has 2 coax cables going to it.(one was from the old digital cable and isnt used). so basically this would require minimal rewiring inside the house to still have 2 tuners for the dvr. but i have 2 tivos that i would really love to hook up in place of the standard receivers that were just hooked up, but i will only use one tuner for them which isnt a problem for me.

Your best bet is to just buy the WB68. This is the switch you will need as the older ones will not pass the correct signal range that is needed to the MPEG4 channels.

Is the ability to have two tuners on one line the only difference between swm and the old way? because we only have 1 main dvr currently but it has 2 coax cables going to it.(one was from the old digital cable and isnt used). so basically this would require minimal rewiring inside the house to still have 2 tuners for the dvr. but i have 2 tivos that i would really love to hook up in place of the standard receivers that were just hooked up, but i will only use one tuner for them which isnt a problem for me.

My older Legacy receivers only require one input but I'm almost certain that you would need to use up two legacy ports for dual tuner functionality (thus requiring two cable runs anyway). Anything that comes down the SWM side requires only one line, providing your receivers are SWM compatible. For me, it was the ability to run everything off of one line that made it so attractive; I was also able to clean up the original installation (no outside splices anymore) & create a central utility closet in the process where everything comes together.

My older Legacy receivers only require one input but I'm almost certain that you would need to use up two legacy ports for dual tuner functionality (thus requiring two cable runs anyway). Anything that comes down the SWM side requires only one line, providing your receivers are SWM compatible. For me, it was the ability to run everything off of one line that made it so attractive; I was also able to clean up the original installation (no outside splices anymore) & create a central utility closet in the process where everything comes together.

I just bought everything i need today it was real cheap online. I will save the swm lnb for whenever i need it in the future. My new dvr already has 2 cables near it because the tech had to run a separate cable for the old cable modem that we dont have anymore. The only downside i see is that i now have to run 4 cables to the lnb as opposed to the current 1. but this will also give me the opportunity to clean up the outside install because the tech was pretty messy with his swm power adapter and splitter.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)