GI satellite receiver

Status
Please reply by conversation.

zetron

Original poster
Oct 24, 2005
Hello, I am new to this hobby. I started out trying to find out how I could get educational programs like 'The Mechanical Universe'. I found that the Annenberg CPB satellite channel had this and other programs I am interested in.

I discovered that the programs were encoded with digiCypher II and I needed a receiver that would decode that. I do not know if you call this FTA or not. Annenberg's Internet site said the channel was free but you had to register with them first.

I purchased a leftover GI 4200C DigiCypherII MPEG II receiver. Some sources said that a digicypherIIreceiver will not receive the FTA stations? Another source on the internet advertised GI receivers and said you could receive anything with them?

I have a 36" offset dish but no LNB yet.

I am not at all interested in Direct TV or DishNetwork anymore. There were only a few channels worth watching.

Can you educate me more about my receiver and what it will and will not do? I know it will not do blind searches and that I need to put a switch at the input to change the polarization.

David zetron

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)