Glasses free 3D HDTV

whatchel1

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Sep 30, 2006
Great High Plains
Announced again at CES 2010 reported by The Morning Bridge(MediaBiz) this morning.
"Toshiba says it will start selling large-screen glasses-free 3D sets this year ... and not just in Japan."
Hope this is good 3D this time previous attempts have not been that great from everything I've read. I really hope it looks good and can be seen from more than a 15 degree angle. When this takes place people will start thinking more seriously about it a something to have at home. I know I don't want to mess w/ no stinking glasses.

You probably hate sunglasses too. :D

Saw the glasses free Toshiba system and was impressed at how the technology has progressed since last year when it was so awful that many people claimed it made the sick in the stomach to watch it for more than 30 seconds.

This year Toshiba did have the best looking Glasses free technology and the screens were larger at 56" plus many smaller. The problem is thyat while improved over last year the color quality and resolution is still much below today's average 3D system. In addition, lets put some real world experience to the 15 degree angle. Fact is there is a very small sweet spot for the glasses free technology. I call it a single viewer sweet spot. Bigger the screen, bigger the sweet spot. The Toshiba demo had spots painted on the floor where you were to stand to see the 3D effect. The 56" screen had places for three people but I tried all three and the two side positions the effect fell off to blurry double image rather quickly. At best my wife and I viewed it best with our heads together either side of center. IN addition, people too tall or too short may need a screen angle vertically adjusted as well.

If you insist on this format for 3D, Then you will probably have enough cash saved up to pay for it, by the time it is ready and competes quality-wise with the present day 3D with glasses. I would not buy this today as the quality is just way below what we are used to now even as it is much improved over last year's demos from other manufacturers.

The passive glasses system is much closer to being ready than the glasses free.

I saw the glasses-free 3D tvs from a bunch of companies at CES. None are ready for primetime in my opinion. The Toshiba models are probably the furthest along. They have large screens and looked decent. Not sure if its just my eyes or what but the picture would go blurry from time to time. They also had you stand at an exact distance away from the tv.

LG and Sony had smaller screens on display. I liked Sony's OLED version, however it was only 23" diagonal. I would probably wait for the 2nd generation of these type of tv's before buying one.

You probably hate sunglasses too. :D

Saw the glasses free Toshiba system and was impressed at how the technology has progressed since last year when it was so awful that many people claimed it made the sick in the stomach to watch it for more than 30 seconds.

This year Toshiba did have the best looking Glasses free technology and the screens were larger at 56" plus many smaller. The problem is thyat while improved over last year the color quality and resolution is still much below today's average 3D system. In addition, lets put some real world experience to the 15 degree angle. Fact is there is a very small sweet spot for the glasses free technology. I call it a single viewer sweet spot. Bigger the screen, bigger the sweet spot. The Toshiba demo had spots painted on the floor where you were to stand to see the 3D effect. The 56" screen had places for three people but I tried all three and the two side positions the effect fell off to blurry double image rather quickly. At best my wife and I viewed it best with our heads together either side of center. IN addition, people too tall or too short may need a screen angle vertically adjusted as well.

If you insist on this format for 3D, Then you will probably have enough cash saved up to pay for it, by the time it is ready and competes quality-wise with the present day 3D with glasses. I would not buy this today as the quality is just way below what we are used to now even as it is much improved over last year's demos from other manufacturers.

The passive glasses system is much closer to being ready than the glasses free.

Sunglasses aren't a problem for me. :D:D But it can be for those that wear glasses. The passive polarized ones are much better & I'm sure much less expensive. To me 3D just hasn't proved itself. A friend of mine has one w/ the special glasses and I hated the picture. Gave me a headache w/in moments. View angle is also a big problem w/ any of the 3 D I've seen.

Sending different images to two different eyes from a flat screen is technically a very complex operation without some sort of glasses to filter the content between the eyes.

Then you add the problem of where the viewer must be located...

I just do not see a lot of room for success here unless you develop a screen that has some depth of image built into it or something that uses color holography.

Who wants to pay a couple of thousand dollars for a TV that can only be succssfully viewed from on e spot in your living room.

I saw a news report the other day saying 3D TV sales are lagging way behind what manufacturers had hoped, deep discounts coming on 3D TV's - looks like this fad may be dying out again.

I hope they succeed but my scepticism is growing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)