Glasses free better than last year

TheForce

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Pub Member / Supporter
Oct 13, 2003
Jacksonville, FL, Earth
Toshiba had a very good demo of glasses free 3D TV. It was a mile better with good color saturated images that popped in both directions. Also, the 3D was sharp and didn't make me nauseated like last years demo did. Also, the screen sizes of the demos were larger, like an average of 56"

The main negative was that this improved quality demo required your head to be in a sweet spot for the full effect. Move either side or above or below the sweet spot and the effect disappeard, making the image look typically double image, like regular 3D does without glasses.

The second negative was the overall picture quality was rather low resolution.

I saw a few other demos of glasses free and none toped the Toshiba demo, either worse than in quality of equal to it.

Bottom line is we're a long way from where we were last year but have a long way to go before glasses free matches the PQ of the active glasses 3D most are by now used to seeing.

Are they showing any production glasses free displays, or are these all "proof-of-concept" kind?

Only one I saw and it was the small camcorder monitor screen on the Sony 3D camcorder.

Ilya- you have to understand that current technology on these glasses free monitors are not good for multiple viewers. They work well when a pair of eyes are viewing from a single sweet spot. Some of the technology is using a camera to track the viewer's eyes so it stays in sync as you move your head a bit. ( I see this like the XBOX Kinect technology that uses a camera to track your movement. Toshiba even had one system that could track 4 pairs of eyes for up to 4 viewers but it was not good.

Again, Sony is selling a production version of glasses free in the 3D camcorder. They are also demonstrating an AMOLED screen as "Future of 3D" demo. I forget what size it was but from memory it was about 30 inches and could be seen by several people.

There were several demos of small cell phone sized screens being offered too but only as your proof of concept. Again, single viewer application.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)